Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: John Edwards to drop out of race today

Gold Member

It boils down to dirty politics. Both sides will say or do anything to win. The big difference right now is one side isn't being called out on it while the other is being pig piled on. The race stuff could cause long term distrust between the white and black Dems. So the race stuff gets me pissed. The truth is Nov is far away and when push comes to shove we will pull together to make sure another Bush doesn't get into the White House. Most likely Obama or Hillary will be president that is why the fighting between them is so nasty.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Quote Originally Posted by PaintTheTownRed View Post
    ^^I feel the same about Obama. The thought of voting for him in Nov makes me ill.

The whole race card allegation and the Dick Morris prediction is ridiculous. When the fairytale accusations started, Hillary was bending over backwards reaching out to the black community. Why would she do that if she didn't care about her black voters? At the same time Obama continued to bring up the Bill Clinton and the fairytale nonesense. Why would he do that and lose his white voters? My feeling is the person who played the race card was the same person who benefited the most from it.

In the Florida exit polls, Dems were asked who is running a negative campaign. Hillary got 70% and Obama got 50%. So I doubt I'm the only person who is finding everything questionable.

And you keep asking about the gender question. Watch the video again. JJ Jr calls Clinton CLITon. Obama's people do it all the time on the TV shows when they are guests. Listen for it. It's real classy.
    I'm sorry, but that is so off of the mark it's not even funny. Because Obama won the S.C. black voters in a landslide then he benefitted from the race card? Hillary won by a landslide with black voters in N.Y., so does that mean she benefitted by playing the race card? And a case could be made that Hillary benefitted from playing the gender card by showing some tears in N.H.

And why does Obama bring up Bill Clinton? Because Bill is running around ATTACKING Obama, as if Bill is actually running not Hillary. And it's no fairytale that the Clintons are using race, since as that article showed they've been doing it for years.

And Hillary is starting to lose some of her black & white voters, because people are starting to notice how negative of a campaign she's running.

I haven't heard about Obama's campaign playing the gender card, and none of the other candidates are doing it, either.

Quote Originally Posted by nycgirly101 View Post
    "The race card" is really not what this election is about, and Hillary and Bill have always been popular in the black community. The fact that they're being accused of being racist is somewhat ridiculous. They are not racist people and never have been. Hillary has been catering to black voters, hispanic voters, younger voters, older voters- everyone. She has been trying to reach out to every group. I wish people would get over gender and race and vote for who they feel is the best candidate.

sorry if that offends anyone, I just had to get that out- the race and gender cards are both getting old. We should be focusing on the economy, health care, and getting out of Iraq. Not the fact that two people running happen to be a biracial man and a woman.
    I don't think anybody is accusing the Clintons of being racist. I know I'm not. But that doesn't change the fact that the Clintons play both sides of the race card when they need to.

And in the case of the black voters, the Clintons felt that since Bill has always been popular in the black community that automatically those votes would go to her. Obama has thrown a wrench in that plan, which is why Bill and Hillary have been coming after him with a vengeance.

And I agree that I'm sick of the race and gender issue too. But, unfortunately, it's going to come into play because Obama and Hillary are the first viable person of color and female to make a run for the White House, and it's sending ripples through the political landscape and forcing people to question issues of race and gender.

Gold Member

When Hillary won the black vote in NY was her opponent depicted as a racist? When Hillary won NH did she imply Obama is sexist? The Clintons were depicted as racists and accused of using the race card in SC.

Christopher Hitchens is only one of the handful of people left in America who thinks Iraq was a good idea. He's an over the top Bush supporter who despises Clinton. He's nuttier than O'reilly and Hannity. You think what he wrote about Toni Morrison sounds true?
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

I heard a blurb on the news this morning about Obama doing some negative campaigning yesterday. Anyone know what supposedly happened?

When Hillary won the black vote in NY was her opponent depicted as a racist? When Hillary won NH did she imply Obama is sexist? The Clintons were depicted as racists and accused of using the race card in SC.

Christopher Hitchens is only one of the handful of people left in America who thinks Iraq was a good idea. He's an over the top Bush supporter who despises Clinton. He's nuttier than O'reilly and Hannity. You think what he wrote about Toni Morrison sounds true?
    No, Hillary's opponent in N.Y. wasn't depicted as racist, because it was already a foregone conclusion that Hillary would get the black vote. Hillary didn't have to imply that Obama was sexist, she just shed a few tears for sympathy since all of the polls showed that Obama was leading in N.H. And the Clintons weren't depicted as racist in S.C., but they were the ones making race an issue and it blew up in their faces. Even Bill came out and said that maybe he did go a little too far.

And while I don't agree with everything Hitchens says, he did bring up some valid points in his article about the Clintons playing the race card.

I saw interviews with some of Obama's people after Hillary cried. They accused her of trying to act like a women all of the sudden. That is not proper either. I think they will tear each other down as much as possible and the race card will be played as much as possible, from both sides, because for the first time, they can. What a sad statement about our civilization. A lot of people keep saying they can't support Obama due to a lack of experience when in many cases it is because he is black but that is not socially acceptable to say. There are many who won't support Hillary because she is a women. Our country is a fucking mess and people are more concerned about the anatomy or skin color of a candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I saw interviews with some of Obama's people after Hillary cried. They accused her of trying to act like a women all of the sudden. That is not proper either. I think they will tear each other down as much as possible and the race card will be played as much as possible, from both sides, because for the first time, they can. What a sad statement about our civilization. A lot of people keep saying they can't support Obama due to a lack of experience when in many cases it is because he is black but that is not socially acceptable to say. There are many who won't support Hillary because she is a women. Our country is a fucking mess and people are more concerned about the anatomy or skin color of a candidate.
    Exactly. Some, not all, people keep hiding behind politically correct statements to mask the fact that they aren't comfortable with the idea of anybody that isn't a white male being president.

And I think both Obama and Hillary's campaigns are being negative, but that's politics. I just wish that the race and gender issues were off of the table, but I know that's not possible.

Gold Member

All I hear is accusations in the media without any proof. The same truthful media that promoted Bush's war. So I try to figure out fact from fiction and draw my own conclusions. I would love to see a speech from Hillary using these "code words", but I can't seem to find one.
    In any case, we can agree to disagree. I don't see any of this the way you do.

All I hear is accusations in the media without any proof. The same truthful media that promoted Bush's war. So I try to figure out fact from fiction and draw my own conclusions. I would love to see a speech from Hillary using these "code words", but I can't seem to find one.
    In any case, we can agree to disagree. I don't see any of this the way you do.
    Exactly. I don't see things the way you do either, but we can agree to disagree. But that's what makes a good debate.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I think it's hilarious people decide elections based on race and gender in the US
    Yeah, it is assumed if you have a vagina you must vote Hillary or you are a betrayal to the entire female gender... and if you don't want to be perceived as racist you must vote for Obama who's only blackish anyway... ugh... I don't care if they'll be the first whatever the fuck; they're just as full of shit as everyone else.
    I hope Edwards chooses to endorse no one because I would lose any respect I had for him. I loved when he pointed out who Obama and Hillary's biggest campaign contributors were and they're all like "yeah, well trial lawyers gave you a bunch of money..." umm that's kind of different than taking a big paycheck from a corporation, anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I can't speak for anyone else, but when I say I'm hesitant about supporting him because of his inexperience that is exactly what I mean. We can't assume anyone who doesn't support Hillary is a sexist and anyone who doesn't support Barack is a racist. ( Btw I'm not saying that's what you or anyone on here are assuming, Sluce, I'm just making a general statement. )

and also, why does everyone keep saying Hillary cried? She had an emotional moment, there were no actual tears in her eyes...... but you're absolutely right, Obama's people and a lot of men (and even some women) played the gender card then also. There was even someone on this site who claimed "that was why a woman could never be president". And this poster was a female!

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I don't think anybody is accusing the Clintons of being racist. I know I'm not. But that doesn't change the fact that the Clintons play both sides of the race card when they need to.

And in the case of the black voters, the Clintons felt that since Bill has always been popular in the black community that automatically those votes would go to her. Obama has thrown a wrench in that plan, which is why Bill and Hillary have been coming after him with a vengeance.

And I agree that I'm sick of the race and gender issue too. But, unfortunately, it's going to come into play because Obama and Hillary are the first viable person of color and female to make a run for the White House, and it's sending ripples through the political landscape and forcing people to question issues of race and gender.
    You make a very good point King. Even if this is making people question issues of race and gender I guess that can be a good thing in some way. Not to mention we're making history. And at the same time I suppose both Obama and Clinton will gain and lose votes based on their race or gender (respectively), so it should even out.
    Last edited by nycgirl; January 31st, 2008 at 05:52 PM.

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I say I'm hesitant about supporting him because of his inexperience that is exactly what I mean. We can't assume anyone who doesn't support Hillary is a sexist and anyone who doesn't support Barack is a racist. ( Btw I'm not saying that's what you or anyone on here are assuming, Sluce, I'm just making a general statement. )
    It's all good - I know you were not pointing me out. I can't make up my mind yet on who I will support but state does not allow independants to vote in the primary anyway so I have no say!

It breaks my heart that these race and gender issues are still at play. I will say my daughter's generation gives me hope though. She and her friends are all getting ready for the freshmen semi. They have a crazy tradition of asking upper classmen. The girls invite the boys. The district is mostly white, 20% Asian and 12% Black. My daughter and 2 of her friends have asked boys who happen to be black. It never crossed their minds that there was any reason why they couldn't. I hope that with each generation there is less and less focus on race.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Yeah, it is assumed if you have a vagina you must vote Hillary or you are a betrayal to the entire female gender... and if you don't want to be perceived as racist you must vote for Obama who's only blackish anyway... ugh... I don't care if they'll be the first whatever the fuck; they're just as full of shit as everyone else.
    I hope Edwards chooses to endorse no one because I would lose any respect I had for him. I loved when he pointed out who Obama and Hillary's biggest campaign contributors were and they're all like "yeah, well trial lawyers gave you a bunch of money..." umm that's kind of different than taking a big paycheck from a corporation, anyway...
    Only blackish?

You make a very good point King. Even if this is making people question issues of race and gender I guess that can be a good thing in some way. Not to mention we're making history. And at the same time I suppose both Obama and Clinton will gain and lose votes based on their race or gender (respectively), so it should even out.
    Exactly. Obama's race and Hillary's gender will be both a blessing and curse for them. Some people will vote for, or against, them based on those reasons, so it does even out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information