Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: John Edwards to drop out of race today

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    Edwards said that he will not do the VP thing this time, he's done it before. He said that he will take some time to think about who he is going to endorse, and that's it. He said his main focus will be working on poverty... I think he is going to endorse Clinton...
    John Edwards can say whatever he likes, but either he's going to jump on the VP bandwagon or he's backing Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintTheTownRed View Post
    The Clintons were injecting race? This is Obama's co chair right after he lost NH. I don't think he says Hillary didn't shed a tear for the Katrina victims enough.lol
    YouTube - Obama Co-Chair Jesse Jackson, Jr. Questions Hillary's Tears
    Yeah, the Clintons and their campaign have been injecting race, by trying to point out that Obama is 'the black candidate,' as if no one knew that. And it was Jesse Jackson & Al Sharpton who came out and said that Obama wasn't 'black enough' and Bill tried to discount Obama's win in S.C. by saying that Jesse had done the same thing, as if it was no big deal.

And, yeah, I saw that clip of Jesse Jr. He made a valid point. With the victims of Katrina and 9/11, Hillary never shed a tear. But then suddenly the night before the N.H. primary, when the polls show Obama leading, she, out of the blue, sheds a couple of tears.

Gold Member

You don't find it odd that after the loss in NH, he didn't talk about Nevada but brings up SC and black voters? Also why is he bringing up the victims of Katrina?
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Well during the debates I didn't think it was any secret that Edwards' allegiance laid with Obama. He consistently brought up all the problems he had regarding Clinton and endorsed Obama unofficially even then. I hope he sticks to that.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

You don't find it odd that after the loss in NH, he didn't talk about Nevada but brings up SC and black voters? Also why is he bringing up the victims of Katrina?
    Well, there was nothing wrong with him bringing up S.C. instead of Nevada since S.C. was more of a crucial battle ground in the primaries.

True, I didn't think he needed to mention just black voters. But since the Clintons have been trying to use Bill's popularity in the black community to get votes Hillary's way I understood why he did it. But if the Clinton campaign hadn't been throwing out the race card, to begin with, then it wouldn't have been an issue. And I notice how Obama has yet to bring up Hillary's gender, since he knows it's not an issue.

Gold Member

When I watch the video I see injecting race, but you can draw your own conclusion from it.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

I heard on the news tonight that Edwards doesn't want to back either candidate (right now at least). Apparently he thinks Obama isn't ready to be president yet, but doesn't want to back Hillary. He'll probably wait till after Super Tuesday.

When I watch the video I see injecting race, but you can draw your own conclusion from it.
    I didn't say Jesse Jr wasn't injecting race, which is why I said I wish he hadn't just focused on black voters. But how can you call him out for injecting race, but completely overlook the fact that Hillary's camp threw out the race card first?

Quote Originally Posted by nycgirly101 View Post
    I heard on the news tonight that Edwards doesn't want to back either candidate (right now at least). Apparently he thinks Obama isn't ready to be president yet, but doesn't want to back Hillary. He'll probably wait till after Super Tuesday.
    John Edwards is in no position to say who is and isn't ready to be president. I mean people act like Obama has almost no political experience in public office under his belt whatsoever.

I mean, he's been in the U.S Senate for three years and served in the Illinois Senate for about seven years. That's 10 years in public office, which is more than Hillary or Edwards.

Gold Member

I would like to read where Hillary played the race card first, do you know where or when this happened? It would have had to happen in NH then and I can't find any information on it.

I would like to read where Hillary played the race card first, do you know where or when this happened? It would have had to happen in NH then and I can't find any information on it.
    Hillary's camp/supporters started playing the race card when they had people like Jesse Jackson come out and say that Obama 'wasn't black enough.' And this was before N.H.

This is a nice summary on the Clintons and a history of playing the race card.

Fool Me Thrice

It should be no surprise that the Clintons are playing the race card.

By Christopher Hitchens
    Posted Monday, Jan. 28, 2008, at 11:59 AM ET

How can one equal Bill Clinton for thuggery and opportunism when it comes to the so-called "race card"? And where does one even start with the breathtaking nastiness of his own conduct, and that of his supporters, in the last week? Barack Obama carries South Carolina having made no sectarian appeal to any specific kind of voter, and the best Clinton can say is that this is no better than Jesse Jackson managed to do. Really? Did Jackson come south having already got himself elected the senator from Illinois? And, come to think of it, was Jackson so much to be despised and sneered at when he was needed as Clinton's "confessor," along with Billy Graham, during the squalor of impeachment?

This calculated willingness to shop on both sides of the street of racial politics was actually analyzed quite shrewdly by Dick Morris, the former consigliere of the gruesome twosome, in conversation with Sean Hannity last week. The Clintons, he thought, would be quite happy to lose big to the "black vote" in South Carolina. It would enable them to signal that they were the ones to stem the flow of the color tide. Morris' host protested that this seemed a touch cynical. Morris jovially assured him that he knew the people he was talking about.
    As indeed he did. It was Hillary Clinton who insisted on recalling Morris to the embattled White House, notwithstanding his various disgraces and notwithstanding the fact that he had been the adviser and strategist for Jesse Helms of North Carolina. Why am I saying "notwithstanding"? It was because he had performed so well for Helms, including helping him with the famous "white hands" ad that showed a white man crumpling up a letter that told him of preference for "minorities" in hiring, that Morris was thought of by the then-first lady as such a guru.
    I never quite understand how the Clintons' initial exploitation of racism was overlooked the first time around and has been airbrushed from the record since. After falling behind in the New Hampshire primary in 1992, and after being caught lying about the affair with Gennifer Flowers to which he later confessed under oath, Clinton left the campaign trail and flew home to Arkansas to give the maximum publicity to his decision to sign a death warrant for Ricky Ray Rector. Rector was a black inmate on death row who had shot himself in the head after committing a double murder and, instead of dying as a result, had achieved the same effect as a lobotomy would have done. He never understood the charge against him or the sentence. After being served his last meal, he left the pecan pie on the side of the tray, as he told the guards who came to take him to the execution chamber, "for later." Several police and prison-officer witnesses expressed extreme queasiness at this execution of a gravely impaired man, and the prison chaplain, Dennis Pigman, later resigned from the prison service. The whole dismal and cruel and pathetic story was told by Marshall Frady in a long essay in The New Yorkerin 1993 and is also recounted in a chapter titled "Chameleon in Black and White" by your humble servant in his book No One Left To Lie To.For now, I just ask you to imagine what would have been said if a Republican governor, falling in the polls, had gone out of his way to execute a mentally incompetent African-American prisoner.
    Or leaf back, if you will, to the New York Timesof March 23, 1992, and the jolly headline, "Club Where Clinton Has Golfed Retains Ways of Old South." Yes indeedy, the Country Club of Little Rock had 500 members, all of them white, and the aspirant candidate had himself photographed there more than once until Jerry Brown made an issue of it. It was then announced by Clinton's people that "the staff and facilities" at the club were "integrated"—a pretty way of stating that the toilets were cleaned by black Arkansans. Yet all this was forgiven by credulous liberals who were sure that they had discovered a New Democrat who was a Southerner to boot.
    Many of these same people do not like it now that they see similar two-faced tactics being employed against "one of their own." Well, tough. And many of the most prominent and eloquent black columnists—Bob Herbert, Colbert King, Eugene Robinson—are also acting shocked. It's a bit late. I have to say that Bob Herbert shocked even me by quoting Andrew Young, who said that his pal Clinton was "every bit as black as Barack" because he'd screwed more black chicks. How is Hillary Clinton, or Chelsea Clinton, supposed to feel on hearing thatlittle endorsement? One gets the impression, though, at least from the wife, that anything is OK as long as it works, or even has a chance of working. When Toni Morrison described Clinton as "black" on the basis of his promiscuity and dysfunction and uncertainty about his parentage, she did more than cater to the white racist impression of the African-American male. She tapped into the sort of self-hatred that is evidently more common than we might choose to think. Say what you will about Sen. Obama (and I say that he's got much more charisma than guts), he is miles above this sort of squalor and has decent manners. Say what you will about the Clintons, you cannot acquit them of having played the race card several times in both directions and of having done so in the most vulgar and unscrupulous fashion. Anyone who thinks that this equals "change" is a fool, and an easily fooled fool at that.
    Christopher Hitchens is a columnist for Vanity Fair and the author of God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything.

Gold Member

Christopher Hitchens spinned out garbage starring Dick Morris. I read that nonesense a couple of days ago. I think Dick Morris made that prediction on Jan 8th and Jesse Jackson Jr gave that interview on Jan 9th, why didn't he mention that Hillary had already started to play the race card?

^^The point wasn't about Morris' prediction, but about the Clinton's history of playing both sides of the race card.

And considering that Jesse Jr's. father is backing Hillary, and Jesse Sr. is one of the people playing the race card, I think that might make things a little awkward at family dinners if he started calling his father out.

Now, Obama's camp is using it to their advantage, as seen in S.C., which I wish they wouldn't do. But, then again, the Clintons threw down the race card first. And by race card, I mean trying to focus attention on the fact that Obama is the black candidate, which should be blatantly obvious to anybody with a working set of eyes. Just as it's obvious that Hillary is the female candidate. But, then again, nobody is throwing down the gender card against Hillary.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Hillary's camp/supporters started playing the race card when they had people like Jesse Jackson come out and say that Obama 'wasn't black enough.' And this was before N.H.

This is a nice summary on the Clintons and a history of playing the race card.

Fool Me Thrice

It should be no surprise that the Clintons are playing the race card.

By Christopher Hitchens
    Posted Monday, Jan. 28, 2008, at 11:59 AM ET

How can one equal Bill Clinton for thuggery and opportunism when it comes to the so-called "race card"? And where does one even start with the breathtaking nastiness of his own conduct, and that of his supporters, in the last week? Barack Obama carries South Carolina having made no sectarian appeal to any specific kind of voter, and the best Clinton can say is that this is no better than Jesse Jackson managed to do. Really? Did Jackson come south having already got himself elected the senator from Illinois? And, come to think of it, was Jackson so much to be despised and sneered at when he was needed as Clinton's "confessor," along with Billy Graham, during the squalor of impeachment?

This calculated willingness to shop on both sides of the street of racial politics was actually analyzed quite shrewdly by Dick Morris, the former consigliere of the gruesome twosome, in conversation with Sean Hannity last week. The Clintons, he thought, would be quite happy to lose big to the "black vote" in South Carolina. It would enable them to signal that they were the ones to stem the flow of the color tide. Morris' host protested that this seemed a touch cynical. Morris jovially assured him that he knew the people he was talking about.
    As indeed he did. It was Hillary Clinton who insisted on recalling Morris to the embattled White House, notwithstanding his various disgraces and notwithstanding the fact that he had been the adviser and strategist for Jesse Helms of North Carolina. Why am I saying "notwithstanding"? It was because he had performed so well for Helms, including helping him with the famous "white hands" ad that showed a white man crumpling up a letter that told him of preference for "minorities" in hiring, that Morris was thought of by the then-first lady as such a guru.
    I never quite understand how the Clintons' initial exploitation of racism was overlooked the first time around and has been airbrushed from the record since. After falling behind in the New Hampshire primary in 1992, and after being caught lying about the affair with Gennifer Flowers to which he later confessed under oath, Clinton left the campaign trail and flew home to Arkansas to give the maximum publicity to his decision to sign a death warrant for Ricky Ray Rector. Rector was a black inmate on death row who had shot himself in the head after committing a double murder and, instead of dying as a result, had achieved the same effect as a lobotomy would have done. He never understood the charge against him or the sentence. After being served his last meal, he left the pecan pie on the side of the tray, as he told the guards who came to take him to the execution chamber, "for later." Several police and prison-officer witnesses expressed extreme queasiness at this execution of a gravely impaired man, and the prison chaplain, Dennis Pigman, later resigned from the prison service. The whole dismal and cruel and pathetic story was told by Marshall Frady in a long essay in The New Yorkerin 1993 and is also recounted in a chapter titled "Chameleon in Black and White" by your humble servant in his book No One Left To Lie To.For now, I just ask you to imagine what would have been said if a Republican governor, falling in the polls, had gone out of his way to execute a mentally incompetent African-American prisoner.
    Or leaf back, if you will, to the New York Timesof March 23, 1992, and the jolly headline, "Club Where Clinton Has Golfed Retains Ways of Old South." Yes indeedy, the Country Club of Little Rock had 500 members, all of them white, and the aspirant candidate had himself photographed there more than once until Jerry Brown made an issue of it. It was then announced by Clinton's people that "the staff and facilities" at the club were "integrated"—a pretty way of stating that the toilets were cleaned by black Arkansans. Yet all this was forgiven by credulous liberals who were sure that they had discovered a New Democrat who was a Southerner to boot.
    Many of these same people do not like it now that they see similar two-faced tactics being employed against "one of their own." Well, tough. And many of the most prominent and eloquent black columnists—Bob Herbert, Colbert King, Eugene Robinson—are also acting shocked. It's a bit late. I have to say that Bob Herbert shocked even me by quoting Andrew Young, who said that his pal Clinton was "every bit as black as Barack" because he'd screwed more black chicks. How is Hillary Clinton, or Chelsea Clinton, supposed to feel on hearing thatlittle endorsement? One gets the impression, though, at least from the wife, that anything is OK as long as it works, or even has a chance of working. When Toni Morrison described Clinton as "black" on the basis of his promiscuity and dysfunction and uncertainty about his parentage, she did more than cater to the white racist impression of the African-American male. She tapped into the sort of self-hatred that is evidently more common than we might choose to think. Say what you will about Sen. Obama (and I say that he's got much more charisma than guts), he is miles above this sort of squalor and has decent manners. Say what you will about the Clintons, you cannot acquit them of having played the race card several times in both directions and of having done so in the most vulgar and unscrupulous fashion. Anyone who thinks that this equals "change" is a fool, and an easily fooled fool at that.
    Christopher Hitchens is a columnist for Vanity Fair and the author of God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything.
    Not only am I mad at myself for not knowing any of the information in this summary, I am mad that I have been such a Clinton supporter. I don't care if Obama get grillz, start talking like lil John, and loses..I am not voting for her ever, not even if she's up against McCain..I'll just not vote..the first time in 14 years..
    Last edited by *DIVA!; January 31st, 2008 at 03:18 AM.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Gold Member

^^I feel the same about Obama. The thought of voting for him in Nov makes me ill.

The whole race card allegation and the Dick Morris prediction is ridiculous. When the fairytale accusations started, Hillary was bending over backwards reaching out to the black community. Why would she do that if she didn't care about her black voters? At the same time Obama continued to bring up the Bill Clinton and the fairytale nonesense. Why would he do that and lose his white voters? My feeling is the person who played the race card was the same person who benefited the most from it.

In the Florida exit polls, Dems were asked who is running a negative campaign. Hillary got 70% and Obama got 50%. So I doubt I'm the only person who is finding everything questionable.

And you keep asking about the gender question. Watch the video again. JJ Jr calls Clinton CLITon. Obama's people do it all the time on the TV shows when they are guests. Listen for it. It's real classy.

"The race card" is really not what this election is about, and Hillary and Bill have always been popular in the black community. The fact that they're being accused of being racist is somewhat ridiculous. They are not racist people and never have been. Hillary has been catering to black voters, hispanic voters, younger voters, older voters- everyone. She has been trying to reach out to every group. I wish people would get over gender and race and vote for who they feel is the best candidate.

sorry if that offends anyone, I just had to get that out- the race and gender cards are both getting old. We should be focusing on the economy, health care, and getting out of Iraq. Not the fact that two people running happen to be a biracial man and a woman.

I think it's hilarious people decide elections based on race and gender in the US
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information