Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Joe Biden owns a partisan "journalist"

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    A couple things:

1. Do people really think that he's suggesting "you have 100k and this person only has 50k, so you need to give them 25k to make you both even" type of thing? He's suggesting making higher earners pay more. Why is that so bad? As someone who actually does pay taxes (and not just loans the government money till April 15th) I'm happy to pay more if need be. How many of those scared about him "redristributing the wealth" actually have any wealth? WTF is everyone so worried about?

2. How well has the trickle down effect worked for us previously?

What slays me is that they will bitch to high heaven about taxpayer money going to something like foodstamps so the local crackhead prostitute's baby doesn't have to starve to death but when it comes to how confiscatory their tax rate is compared with someone who is legitimately wealthy, if you are talking about take-home pay, after adding in all the taxes levied everywhere from the pump to the grocery store, and you add in all the tax loopholes that are available to people who can afford accountants, they don't make a peep. Not one peep. They have no idea they've been divided and conquered by the interests of the ruling class.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I don't think someone should have to pay a higher percentage of income tax than a lower earning person. I favor a flat tax. However, I oppose many of the loopholes afforded to wealthier people and I think that they should be abolished as well.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ymeman View Post
    They have no idea they've been divided and conquered by the interests of the ruling class.
    ITA!

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    I favor a flat tax.
    Me too. I don't see what the problem with that would be, but I assume there's something, otherwise why won't they institute it? (I mean besides the obvious that government doesn't seem to be able to get smaller or more streamlined.)
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

I don't think someone should have to pay a higher percentage of income tax than a lower earning person. I favor a flat tax. However, I oppose many of the loopholes afforded to wealthier people and I think that they should be abolished as well.
    I don't. Because having a progressive income tax takes away the incentive to become a robber baron. Think of the executives at Enron as a prime example. One of the CEOs of a health insurance company retired with a $1 BILLION package. What we have now are corporate executives making decisions so they can make hordes of money, not good business decisions.

Reminds me of the tax/IRS episode of 'Roseanne:'
    "People like us, the poor people, and the people like us regular people are paying more taxes than the rich people because they got all these lawyers who find loopholes, I want loopholes. I mean, we're paying you guys our money anyway, and then you mishandle it worse than any of us ever could. And the government is like 3 trillion dollars in debt, I think I heard that on Donahue. Can you imagine 3 trillion dollars in debt? That's like you make what $15,000 a year and then charge up your Master cards $50,000, and then you pay $5,000 monthly income. You know, people like us, we should get smart and audit them."

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I don't. Because having a progressive income tax takes away the incentive to become a robber baron. Think of the executives at Enron as a prime example. One of the CEOs of a health insurance company retired with a $1 BILLION package. What we have now are corporate executives making decisions so they can make hordes of money, not good business decisions.
    Yes, but that is really a separate issue from having to pay the same flat tax, say 10% for example, as everyone else. Their 10% will still equal more dollars than 10% of someone who earns $40,000 a year. Also, another big problem with the scenario you described is that corporations seem to get all the rights of an individual like you or me but without the accountability. Corporate execs making decisions based on greed has alot to do with things other that the amount of taxes they pay.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, but that is really a separate issue from having to pay the same flat tax, say 10% for example, as everyone else. Their 10% will still equal more dollars than 10% of someone who earns $40,000 a year. Also, another big problem with the scenario you described is that corporations seem to get all the rights of an individual like you or me but without the accountability. Corporate execs making decisions based on greed has alot to do with things other that the amount of taxes they pay.
    Um, not really. Corporations have a lot of loop holes that need to be closed which is not the same thing as the rate they're taxed at. The fact that corporations are treated as individuals is an entirely different subject that could, in theory, be reversed if the Supreme Court had a case to rule on that reversed the prior and currently standing decision that gave corporations those rights. But in the case of Enron and other corporations, there are executives that essentially paid several hundred thousand dollars an hour based on their annual compensation. You can't tell me this doesn't affect their thinking. Skilling, Lay and others effectively earned millions at the expense of running the company into the ground. Their short-term gain effectively destroyed the long-term prospects for Enron.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information