Page 55 of 97 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
Like Tree3679Likes

Thread: James Comey & the Giant Impeach:The eternal saga of 45 the Cheeto Christ Stupid Czar

Elite Member

^^ I read that with his voice in my head. This was spot on! I can completely imagine him saying this.
    HWBL likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    So tell us about the book!
    Truthfully, it’s a very well written book and an easy read. I got a free download of John Bolton’s book and it was a dredge. I only got 20 pages in before I quit. Marys is only about 200 pages so you can read it in a day.

Where to begin. All trump kids were terrified of Fred and bent over backward to get his approval. Fred thought Donald was the most like him except 1) Donald could do the grandstanding and PR that Fred always failed at. 2) Fred was a good businessman (in theory) than Donald is. Fred built most of his properties with FHA (government) money and never held debt, so everything was profit. So because Fred thought Donald had the “killer take all” attitude, Fred let Donald do whatever the fuck he wanted. Donald’s own mother though he was a pain in the ass. He was sent to military school because the school that he and all his siblings went to, was tired of putting up with Donald’s shit. His siblings don’t like each other and none of them are really close. Donald has zero empathy for anyone, and Ivana is pretty clueless too. I haven’t finished it because I wanted to wait for the drive home. But it’s a good book and worth the money.
    tulip and Beeyotch like this.

Mary Trump on her Uncle Donald: ‘I used to feel compassion for him. That became impossible’
    David Smith in Washington

She is a psychologist who used to deny being related to Donald – now she has written an explosive bestseller about him. She discusses his racism, incompetence, cruelty and why he never laughs

Dinner in the Trump household was a hierarchical affair. Fred Trump, the patriarch, sat at the head of the table, with son Donald on his right and daughter Maryanne on his left. Other family members took their places in descending order of assigned importance.

But one Thanksgiving, the eldest son, Fred Jr, found himself relegated to the junior end of the table with his daughter Mary. “During the course of the meal, my grandmother choked,” Mary Trump recalls. “My dad had been a volunteer ambulance driver in the late 60s and early 70s so he knew the Heimlich manoeuvre and he very gently manoeuvred her into the kitchen and gave her the Heimlich, and that basically saved her from choking.

“Nobody else moved; everybody kept eating. It was a sort of awkward, embarrassing thing that Gam [her nickname] choked. When they came back in, it was literally like my dad had just taken out the garbage: ‘Oh, yeah. Good job, Freddy.’ He couldn’t do anything at that point to garner any respect or get credit for anything, even if it was saving their mother.”

There is no understanding Donald Trump without understanding his “malignantly dysfunctional family”, according to Mary, the first member of the clan to publish a Trump biography and question his fitness for office. Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man sold nearly a million copies on its first day of publication last week, after a failed attempt by the US president’s younger brother Robert to block it in court.

He learned that being humiliated was the worst thing that could happen to a person and he would do everything in his power to avoid that feeling

The book is a portrait of something rotten at the heart of a white suburban family’s rapacious pursuit of the American dream. When I speak to Mary, 55, over the phone from Cape Cod, Massachusetts, she describes how her “sociopath” grandfather made Trump the man he is today, reflects on the burden of carrying the Trump name and warns against the prospect of the president’s children running for political office.

Fred Trump is the villain of the piece. This ruthless New York workaholic slept about four hours a night and was driven by money. Mary writes that he showed little interest in his five children other than grooming an heir for his property business. Spurning his eldest son, Freddy, he settled on Donald, deciding that his second son’s “arrogance and bullying”, and willingness to lie and cheat, were just what the office needed.

“If you met him,” says Mary of her grandfather, “you would think he was cheerful and positive, but also intimidating and not a warm person. But deep down I have no problem describing him as a sociopath. He had no real human feeling and he treated his children variously with contempt.

“Certainly, in the case of my dad, who was the oldest son, heir apparent and namesake, there was harsh discipline and humiliation which Donald, seven and a half years younger, was able to witness and learn very specific lessons from: don’t be like Freddy, don’t be kind, don’t be generous, don’t have ‘frivolous’ interests. The other lesson he learned was that being humiliated was the worst thing that could happen to a person and he would do everything in his power to avoid the feeling of humiliation.”

Donald Trump as a child

Donald Trump as a child. Photograph: @realdonaldtrump/Instagram

It does not take much imagination to picture torturous family dinners with giant clashing egos. Racist and antisemitic language was common, Mary has said during media interviews to promote the book, noting the Trumps lived in what was then an all-white suburb in Queens, New York. Can she remember a specific example of Trump using the N-word?

“Honestly, no, because it was just this thing that happened. If my dad had said it outside of the house when we were with him that would have stood out, but he never did. In my grandparents’ house, it was just commonplace and there was nothing, unfortunately, remarkable about it.”

Mary is convinced that her uncle is racist. Would she also use terms such as fascist and white supremacist? “I don’t think he has any political ideology. For him, this is just expedient. I would say he behaves like a white supremacist, certainly. He’s acting on his own racism. He’s doing racist things that are endangering people of colour in this country. That’s much more important, so whether he would describe himself as a white supremacist or not, he’s certainly acting like one.”

In 2016, the Nation magazine ran an article headlined: “Have You Ever Seen Donald Trump Laugh?” It pointed out that almost no one has. What about Mary, a licensed psychologist? “No, and my grandfather didn’t laugh either. When you are able to laugh you’re also letting your guard down and that was frowned upon. My dad had a great sense of humour; he was a very funny guy and did know how to laugh. I think with my grandfather it was also because he was not a fully human being.”

Her book alleges that Trump paid someone to take a university entrance exam on his behalf; the White House has denied this. Freddy briefly went into the family business but loathed it, quitting to become an airline pilot. He died alone in hospital at 42 after a struggle with alcoholism, which runs deep in the family.

Mary holds her grandfather responsible. “The worst thing my grandfather did, starting from very early on, was just not accept my father for who he is. As soon as he realised that my dad wasn’t the ‘right kind of person’ – he wasn’t ‘a killer’, he wasn’t ‘tough’ – he dismissed him out of hand and quickly found a replacement in Donald.”

Trump now finds himself in the role of patriarch. He, too, was a distant father who did not, for example, involve himself in changing nappies but encouraged his children to join the family property empire. His sons, Don Jr and Eric, have become two of his most aggressive campaign surrogates, while his elder daughter, Ivanka, is a senior adviser at the White House.

Mary, who is more than a decade older than her cousins and does not know them, says: “It seems pretty clear to me they believe the way to get their father’s attention is through cruelty and subservience, and it’s a quite awful thing to see.”

Both Don Jr and Ivanka have been, half-jokingly, half-deadly seriously, touted as potential future candidates for president. If a shudder can be felt down a phone line, it comes now. “If that were allowed, that would be wrong,” Mary says. “They’re unqualified. Ivanka is the only one technically in the government and she’s unqualified to be an aide, let alone run for political office.

“None of them has ever done anything on their own. They’ve worked in their dad’s business and, from what I can tell, they really haven’t done anything else except continue to take advantage of family money.
    So I think that would speak to an enduring bankruptcy in the Republican party if that were to come to pass.”

Indeed, perhaps a more interesting question than Trump’s narcissism is what his ascent says about the US. He has shone a harsh light on the nation’s divisions, inequalities, insecurities, negative partisanship, neuroses and prejudices – and how far some are willing to go for a taste of power.

“That is the one thing I didn’t anticipate,” Mary goes on. “One of the reasons I was so devastated by what happened in November 2016 was because, while I knew that he was categorically unfit and incompetent and cruel, I never foresaw that 100% of Republicans in office would just enable him to the extent they have.

“It’s been horrifying because, in that sense, he’s not the problem. If he were being held to the same standards other people in his position have been held to, if they had cared about the transgressions he’s made, the lines he’s crossed, then he would have been neutralised, at least reined in. But they’ve given him permission to keep going and doubling down.”

She has also witnessed Trump’s lies, exaggerations and salesmanship up close. When she first met his wife, Melania, Trump said to his niece: “You dropped out of college, right?” He then commented: “It was really bad for a while – and then she started doing drugs.”

Mary says she has never taken drugs in her life, but Trump relishes a good comeback story. “It’s just a power play. He knew he was lying. He knew I knew he was lying. But he enjoys that kind of thing.”
    It is a telling anecdote about Trump’s “don’t let the facts get in the way of a good story” attitude that seeks to make his audience, and the media, complicit.

Mary and her brother engaged in a protracted legal fight over Fred’s estate after his death in 1999 but she otherwise maintained a low profile, despite sharing her last name with a man who spent decades as a star of New York tabloids, reality TV and now the Washington swamp.

“I have always flown under the radar up until recently; I guess that’s not the case any more,” she muses. “When I was really young, it wasn’t an issue because nobody knew who my grandfather was outside of New York.

“It became more of a complicating factor when I was in college and I learned very early on that if somebody asked me – which happened 100% of the time when I paid with a cheque or used a credit card – if I was related, I just said no because it was so much easier. So even people I became friends with didn’t know for a long time. It’s been a burden simply knowing that it’s been my uncle who is doing these awful things but, for me personally, not really.”

Mary voted for Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election and senator Elizabeth Warren in the 2020 Democratic primary but is fully behind presumptive nominee Joe Biden for November. “I will do whatever I can do to help him get elected.” Asked if she would accept an invitation to speak at next month’s Democratic national convention, she says simply: “That would be an honour.”

Biden currently has a significant lead in opinion polls but what if, despite everything, Trump wins re-election? “I have a very difficult time thinking about that but I think the simplest and most clear way to put it is that it would be, in my view, the end of the American experiment. The fact that people were willing to do it four years ago was devastating; that anybody would think that it’s a good idea to continue along the lines we’re going now is unthinkable.”

Mary last spoke to the president at her aunt’s birthday party at the White House in April 2017 and has no interest in doing so again. In 2018, she secretly helped New York Times reporters on an investigation that outlined how Trump and his siblings avoided millions of dollars in taxes.

Does she love her uncle? “No, I don’t,” she says without hesitation. “I used to feel compassion for him. I really did. But then that became impossible when I started learning about things that he had done and seeing what he’s been doing since January 20, 2017.”

Mary’s guidebook to the Trump psychological labyrinth is an argument for the notion that the child is father of the man. If we are all products of our circumstances, does Trump deserve some pity? She is adamant again. “No, he does not. I completely understand having sympathy and empathy for the child who did suffer mightily but it’s no excuse for his behaviour.

“He’s an adult human being who knows the difference between right and wrong, even though he doesn’t think the rules apply to him. He knows what he’s doing and one of the reasons we’re in this position is because he’s never been held accountable for anything. So his transgressions become more egregious over time and he needs to be held to account.”

• Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man by Mary Trump is £17.40 (RRP £20) at guardianbookshop.com

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...etence-cruelty

Mary Trump’s book: eight of its most shocking claims about the president

Trump ‘paid someone to take his exams’
    President emotionally ‘scarred’ by abusive father
    Trump shaped by ‘sociopath’ father, niece writes in memoir

Martin Pengelly

Martin Pengelly in New York
    @MartinPengelly

Tue 7 Jul 2020 20.52 BST
    Last modified on Tue 7 Jul 2020 21.27 BST

Shares
    Donald Trump and father Fred Trump, a ‘high-functioning sociopath’, according to Mary Trump.
    Donald Trump and father Fred Trump, a ‘high-functioning sociopath’, according to Mary Trump. Photograph: New York Daily News Archive/NY Daily News via Getty Images

Mary Trump’s book, Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man, contains stunning claims about her uncle, Donald Trump.

Here are eight of the most extraordinary.

Trump allegedly paid someone to take his high school exams

Trump is proud of his attendance at Wharton Business School, at the prestigious University of Pennsylvania. But according to his niece, he got there by cheating – which he “embraces as a way of life”.

Mary Trump writes: “Donald worried that his grade point average, which put him far from the top of the class, would scuttle his efforts to get accepted. To hedge his bets he enlisted Joe Shapiro, a smart kid with a reputation for being a good test taker, to take his SATs for him. That was much easier to pull off in the days before photo IDs and computerised records.”

Trump also had his older brother, Mary Trump’s father Fred Trump Jr, put in a good word for him. As she writes, “all of Donald’s machinations may not even have been necessary. In those days, Penn was much less selective than it is now.”

Trump praised his own niece’s breasts

Mary Trump writes about Donald Trump’s treatment of women, including how – when she was briefly working as his ghostwriter – he provided “an aggrieved compendium of women he had expected to date but who, having refused him, were suddenly the worst, ugliest and fattest slobs he’d ever met”. She includes Madonna and the ice skater Katarina Witt as two of the women he named.

The author also says that at Donald Trump’s Florida resort Mar-a-Lago in the 1990s her uncle saw her in a swimsuit and said: “Holy shit, Mary. You’re stacked.”

Mary Trump writes that Trump’s then wife, Marla Maples, responded with “mock horror, slapping him lightly on the arm”.

“I was 29 and not easily embarrassed,” she writes. “But my face reddened and I suddenly felt self-conscious. I pulled my towel around my shoulders.”

Donald Trump’s sister appears to be a key source

Maryanne Trump Barry retired as a federal judge in 2019, thereby ending an inquiry into family tax schemes.
    Mary Trump’s uncle Robert, Maryanne’s brother, has attempted to stop his niece’s book in court but in her acknowledgments, the author thanks her aunt “for all of the enlightening information”.

Mary Trump details a call from the president to his sister, who told him his performance in office was “not that good”. Donald Trump did not take that well, his niece writes, and began to ignore his sister’s advice.

Mary Trump spoke to the New York Times about Trump family taxes

Mary Trump isn’t sure if her aunt, whom she calls “older, smarter and more accomplished” than Donald, spoke to the Times for its reports about Trump family tax affairs which won a Pulitzer prize.

She does write that her aunt “knew where the bodies were buried” because she and her siblings “had buried them together”.

But Mary Trump details how she herself came to help the paper. She had been unwilling. But one of the reporters, she writes, told her she had a chance to help “rewrite the history of the president of the United States”, an offer she decided to take after watching “our democracy disintegrating and people’s lives unravelling because of my uncle’s policies”.

In one riveting passage, Trump describes how she obtained and drove away from the firm Farrell Fritz “19 boxes” of financial information, then handed them over.

“The three reporters were waiting for me,” she writes. “When I showed them the boxes there were hugs all round. It was the happiest I’d felt in months.”

Trump told Melania that Mary Trump took drugs

At a Father’s Day celebration at Trump Tower in 1998, while the president was still married to Maples, Mary Trump met her uncle’s new girlfriend, then known as Melania Knauss.

Struck by her silence, she recalls her uncle Robert Trump telling her the then Melania Knauss, a model from Slovenia, stayed quiet not because her English was bad, but because she “knows what she’s there for”.

Donald Trump, Mary Trump writes, told Melania about how he hired his niece to write The Art of the Comeback (a project from which Mary Trump says she was fired) because she had her own “‘back from the brink’ redemption story”.

“You dropped out of college, right?” she says her uncle asked, adding: “It was really bad for a while – and then she started doing drugs.”

Mary Trump denied that, she said, but she writes that she understands now that her uncle “loved comeback stories, and he understood that the deeper the hole you crawled out of, the better billing your triumphant comeback would get”.

“He probably believed his version of events,” she writes.

Trump Christmases could be tough

One year, Donald and his first wife, Ivana Trump, gave the young Mary a single gold lamé shoe, its heel filled with hard candy.

“Where had this thing come from?” Mary writes. “Had it been a door prize or a party favour from a luncheon?

“Donald came through the pantry from the kitchen. As he passed me, he asked, ‘What’s that?’

“It’s a present from you.”

Mary Trump also says that in 1977, when she was 12, her Christmas present from Donald and Ivana was a $12 pack of underwear. Her brother got a leather-bound journal, two years out of date. Later, Mary received a Cellophaned gift basket, “an obvious regift” containing olives and a salami but not one evidently removed item, which a cousin said was “probably caviar”.

Family Christmases were fraught with tension, she says, including Donald and Robert berating their mother, Mary MacLeod Trump, for cooking beef instead of turkey.

“Gam,” she writes, “spent the whole meal with her head bowed, hands in her lap.”

Jared Kushner’s father didn’t think Ivanka was good enough

In 2009, Mary Trump attended the wedding at Trump’s Bedminster golf course in New Jersey of her cousin Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner. Kushner is Jewish, and Donald Trump stood “awkwardly in a yarmulke”, she writes. The groom’s father, Charles, gave a speech in which he said Ivanka had only made herself worthy of inclusion in his family by committing to convert to Judaism.

Mary Trump was unimpressed: “Considering that Charles had been convicted of hiring a prostitute to seduce his brother-in-law, taping their illicit encounter, and then sending the recording to his sister at his nephew’s engagement party, I found his condescension a bit out of line.”

Trump’s character was shaped by ‘child abuse’

Too Much and Never Enough deals extensively with the emotional abuse of a household topped by an absent father and an ill, neglected mother. Mary Trump contends that Fred Trump Sr’s many failings – ultimately, his being a “high-functioning sociopath” – weighed heavily on all his children, including her father Fred Trump Jr, who died from illness arising from alcoholism in 1981.

“Having been abandoned by his mother for at least a year,” she writes, “and having his father fail not only to meet his needs but to make him feel safe or loved, valued or mirrored, Donald suffered deprivations that would scar him for life [and acquired] personality traits [including] displays of narcissism, bullying, [and] grandiosity”.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...hocking-claims
    Brookie likes this.

^^the gold candy shoe gift, when Donald found out he gave them to her, he congratulated Ivana on getting Mary such a great gift.

She told tells a story where right after Donald was in the White House, they hosted a birthday party for Maryanne and invited all the family including Mary. However, the mention of maryannes birthday was a blip in the event, and the attendees were expected in give speeches praising Donald, including his kids and little brother Robert.

Donald clearly replaced Fred in the family, and I think this is why he favors Ivanka and Jared, because they are the exact same as him. And no matter how much Jr, Eric, Tiffany and the other kid, Barron try, they will never earn Donald’s favor or blessing.

In all seriousness, being raised as a trump must be absolute misery. Not an ounce of fun to be had. No smiles, no laughter, just obediency.

PS Fred Trump was not a fan of Ivana either.

Happening in many places as we speak: pictures of mailboxes being removed (in pixtures in Eugene and Portland).

Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

This is absolutely terrifying.
    tulip, HWBL, Labelwhore and 1 others like this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

czb

the usps says it is due to declining mail volume.

i don't know what to think anymore.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/08/1...nd-and-eugene/

It's starting. Turned on Facebook this morning to see the idiots who aren't happy with Biden/Harris saying they're not voting or they're voting for *insert photo of person no one has ever heard of here*. Did these stupid f-ckers not learn anything from the last election? I mean, for crying out f-cking loud! That POS and his bunch of slimy Republican cohorts in the WH are destroying your county right in front of your damn eyes. Grow the f-ck up, stop whinging, and do the responsible thing here.

(Sorry for all the swearing but I am just so angry and fed up with these people. Gawd!)
    HWBL, Sarzy, tulip and 4 others like this.

I'm sure a lot of them are Russian trollfarmers, furiously tilling the soil for you know who. Just tell them "You aren't even eligible to vote, Boris."
    Kittylady and Novice like this.

Gold Member

Some mail sorting machines have been removed, which are key to the election. Efficiency is slowed down, meaning votes are less likely to be counted.
    Beeyotch, Kittylady and mostroop like this.

Luckily in Oregon we have locked boxes all around Portland and the suburbs where you can drop off your ballots, these go straight to the elections divison, bypassing USPS. I do not know if the smaller cities around OR also have these, I would assume so but honestly don't know. Our used to be at our public library and was pretty small but in 2018 we upgraded:

Removing sorting machines and mailboxes is the definition of voter suppression. Is there nothing that congress can do?
    tulip and mostroop like this.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    the usps says it is due to declining mail volume.

i don't know what to think anymore.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/08/1...nd-and-eugene/
    I think this might be somewhat true, but I don't know why they're blaming covid. I'm thinking 1st class mail has certainly declined over the years, and has the USPS kept up with those changes? Who pays their bills with a check in the mail anymore? I know I don't. Everything is online. The only bill I pay by check is my water bill and they have a drop box so I don't even use the mail for that. I heard somewhere that USPS volume is mainly packages these days. Probably ebay purchases, and until Trump fucked with Bezos, Amazon. Most of the mail I get these days is junk mail flyers, advertising and catalogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy View Post
    Some mail sorting machines have been removed, which are key to the election. Efficiency is slowed down, meaning votes are less likely to be counted.
    If first class mail has slowed, they may not need them. I know, I know, this is all a Trump conspiracy but some of the cost-cutting measures might actually make sense IF it weren't for the expected influx of ballots. I sent a request for a vote-by-mail application a few weeks ago, but now I'm thinking I don't want to chance it. I'll try to find a drop box, find an early voting location or bite the bullet and vote on election day.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Yeah, you know it may be somewhat true but no more than the past however many years. How convenient that this is months before the election. What I can't believe is that nobody is stepping in to stop him. It's criminal voter suppression and election interference.

I need to check whether or not Miami has the option to deliver your mail-in ballot yourself to a ballot drop box. But goddammit I will stand in line with my 2 year old in the Miami heat if I have to. But fuck that fucker for forcing that nonsense.
    tulip and Kittylady like this.

Oh definitely too convenient. Trump's been gunning for the PO for awhile now, wanting to screw over Bezos but this vote by mail just clinched it. The question is, exactly WHO can stop him? That's the problem. He is willing to cross lines that no other president ever has. He doesn't care about norms or ethics and there aren't any hard laws to stop him. It's pretty amazing if you think about it, that no one in government ever put laws into place to prevent this kind of shit. They just assumed a president would be honor-bound and maintain traditions. Everyone just sits there with their mouths hanging open like "I can't believe he did that" Fucking believe it.

Re voting, we have early voting where you can go to the county building and vote there. So that's another option.
    tulip and Kittylady like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Oh definitely too convenient. Trump's been gunning for the PO for awhile now, wanting to screw over Bezos but this vote by mail just clinched it. The question is, exactly WHO can stop him? That's the problem. He is willing to cross lines that no other president ever has. He doesn't care about norms or ethics and there aren't any hard laws to stop him. It's pretty amazing if you think about it, that no one in government ever put laws into place to prevent this kind of shit. They just assumed a president would be honor-bound and maintain traditions. Everyone just sits there with their mouths hanging open like "I can't believe he did that" Fucking believe it.

Re voting, we have early voting where you can go to the county building and vote there. So that's another option.
    You're absolutely correct. I know I've said this before, but Trump has exposed how fragile our democracy truly is. Before him, the people who occupied the oval office had those norms and ethics and when they got caught doing something wrong, they owned it. We also had congresspeople on both sides who were for the betterment of our country, and not just their side winning. Not that it was perfect, it wasn't, but there were boundaries and there were things you just expected from the President. Trump has no ethics, no morals, and flaunts his flagrant disregard for the office. He is a disgusting human being and I really hope if we ever get him out of office we will be able to fix some of these flaws he's pointed out so that no one can do this again.

I will walk 10 miles over hot coals bare naked to vote if I have to. I'll do anything I can. This has to end. But he's sure trying to completely fuck with the system.
    Kittylady, Trixie and Dolly like this.

Thread Information