Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: It's Super Tuesday

unless they're republicans, because none of them should run anything, EVER
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I said the other day, my friends who is the head of the Republican party for our county said they are all hoping Obama gets the nomination. They feel strongly that people are more comfortable saying they will not vote for Hillary because of her past and Bill's past. They have reasons they feel free to express. They are not comfortable saying they won't vote for Obama because they will be accused of being racist even if race has nothing to do with their opinion. She said they can't wait to put Obama up against a war hero when discussing national security and that Obama can't begin to address the economy. Personally I am not sure that McCain or Clinton can address the economy either. She also pointed out that they can't wait to use Obama's quotes about ending the war in Iraq since they do not see he has a viable plan for it that would not further jeopardize our safety.

I will admit that I have not spent enough time yet researching any of them to see how they plan to enact all the promises they are making while trying to get our votes. It is interesting though to watch the behind scenes stuff through my friend. It shows me more and more why I would never enter politics!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    unless they're republicans, because none of them should run anything, EVER
    Come on Grim - don't condemn the whole party based on Bush and Cheney. I am an independant but have some republican friends who are very good people.

Like Iraq EVER had anything to do with America's fucking safety, god, are they still using that disproven and ridiculous talking point?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Like Iraq EVER had anything to do with America's fucking safety, god, are they still using that disproven and ridiculous talking point?
    As long as they can use fear to keep some people in line they will use it!

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Come on Grim - don't condemn the whole party based on Bush and Cheney. I am an independant but have some republican friends who are very good people.
    Trickle down economics don't work

Republican economics don't work

Industry self regulation doesn't work

bloated government doesn't work

legislating morality doesn't work

Screwing the environment doesn't work

Endless war doesn't work

corporate cronyism doesn't work

All those are republican values.

They don't work.

Well, I have no idea why I am accused of fear-mongering when I am saying I am trying to look at the bigger picture. Disagree if you'd like, but its my absolute belief that nominating Hilary could be disastrous, because of her inability to sway Republicans. And the fact that she doesn't have a stronghold with Independents and McCain does. We've already had one person on this thread who said that if Hilary gets the nom, they'll vote Republican. Statistically speaking, I don't think what I am saying is so "far out there." And I'm definitely not trying to spread fear, whatever that means. I am simply stating my opinion based on polls and what I've seen, read, and heard.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

And I wish people would stop trying to convince us that the midwest and south wouldn't vote for Clinton in the general based on last night's results....you have no way of knowing that! That is, as cynic said, fear-mongering ( and obviously in the hopes of generating Obama votes!). All last night proved was that given the choices of Obama and Clinton, they chose Obama in greater numbers, NOT that when faced with the choice of Clinton as the democrat versus voting republican, that they'd vote republican. I couldn't have said it better. I don't recall any 'polls' asking any of the Obama voters if they would vote for Hillary if their man was not an option. All assumptions. Besides, I still feel like we will see them on the same ticket and I would love to give that thumb in the eye to all the neo-con far right fundies out there. The only thing that worries me about the Dems is that they may see to it that I bring less home in my paycheck and I will raise Hell over that. I don't care what anybody says, I'm a social worker and I've seen no evidence that welfare mentalities and throwing more money into social programs has elevated the culture of poverty. If anything, I think it is largely responsible for creating the cycle of poverty. on the grand scale, the more that is done for people the less they can do for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Well, I have no idea why I am accused of fear-mongering when I am saying I am trying to look at the bigger picture. Disagree if you'd like, but its my absolute belief that nominating Hilary could be disastrous, because of her inability to sway Republicans. And the fact that she doesn't have a stronghold with Independents and McCain does. We've already had one person on this thread who said that if Hilary gets the nom, they'll vote Republican. Statistically speaking, I don't think what I am saying is so "far out there." And I'm definitely not trying to spread fear, whatever that means. I am simply stating my opinion based on polls and what I've seen, read, and heard.
    This is politics. For everything you have seen, read and heard, there will be someone else who has seen, read and heard the oposite. I know a few people who have said they will vote for McCain if Obama is the candidate too. I learned it does little to try and sway others to your way of thinking unless they ask for your views because they are truly interested in learning more. More often than not, they ask for your views so they can then try to convince you that you're wrong - LOL Just human nature.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    I don't care what anybody says, I'm a social worker and I've seen no evidence that welfare mentalities and throwing more money into social programs has elevated the culture of poverty. If anything, I think it is largely responsible for creating the cycle of poverty. on the grand scale, the more that is done for people the less they can do for themselves.
    Amen!

I'm sure there are some people who will vote McCain if Obama gets it too (because they don't want a black man or woman in power). In fact I met someone just the other day who admitted to this. But these people are mathematically insignificant if you look at the bigger picture. The majority of the black democrats who voted Obama yesterday will probably vote Hillary in a general election. Until recently the Clintons were very popular in the black community and if Obama is out of the picture I doubt most of them will pick McCain instead. Clinton also does well with Asians, the elderly (who almost always vote), Jewish voters, voters in large cities (NY, LA) and Latinos. 72 percent of democrats polled, according to CNN, would be happy if Clinton got the nomination. 71 percent would be happy if Obama got it. I also believe she can sway independents just as well as Obama can if she works hard enough at it. In fact their stances on issues are so similar that I don't understand how someone could love Obama but literally hate Clinton. I guess they're voting on personality and speaking abilities?

I strongly believe in voting for who you feel is the best candidate for the job, not for telling other people that their candidate will automatically lose if they are nominated. That simply hasn't been proven and isn't necessarily true.
    Last edited by nycgirl; February 6th, 2008 at 05:12 PM.

Silver Member

I'm going to back you up there, january. McCain and Obama both attract Independents. In a Clinton vs. McCain race, I think the majority of Independents will support McCain. In a Obama vs. McCain contest, the independent vote is split and enough hard-line Republicans stay home because they don't like McCain and don't hate Obama enough to vote against him. That's not fearmongering, that's being realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by LastLook View Post
    ^Great points!

And I wish people would stop trying to convince us that the midwest and south wouldn't vote for Clinton in the general based on last night's results....you have no way of knowing that! That is, as cynic said, fear-mongering ( and obviously in the hopes of generating Obama votes!). All last night proved was that given the choices of Obama and Clinton, they chose Obama in greater numbers, NOT that when faced with the choice of Clinton as the democrat versus voting republican, that they'd vote republican.
    By the way....I love Bender.....just had to say.....

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

In fact their stances on issues are so similar that I don't understand how someone could love Obama but literally hate Clinton. I guess they're voting on personality and speaking abilities?
    Yep, pretty much.

I strongly believe in voting for who you feel is the best candidate for the job, not for telling other people that their candidate will automatically lose if they are nominated. That simply hasn't been proven and isn't necessarily true.
    Yep, and I'm also sick to fucking death of hearing 'you're throwing away your vote if you vote for............' because people should vote for who they really think is best and let the chips fall where they may. It's just politics as usual (which we all say we are sick of) when we tell people to get all strategic and vote for the winner(get on the bandwagon!) otherwise we are handing the election to our adversary. Screw all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Obama took huge numbers in the south with black voters. If he doesn't get the nomination, they aren't going to vote McCain, they're going to vote for Clinton.
    No she won't, they'll feel disenfranchised!! They won't vote at all, and he had a lot of white voters also!!
    Last edited by *DIVA!; February 6th, 2008 at 07:07 PM.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread Information