Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: It's Super Tuesday

Silver Member

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic (or naive) but I'm having a hard time believing that the racist, sexist rednecks will go to the polls in a large enough number for it to make a difference. I like to think they're too damn lazy for that. I'm talking about the ones who have never voted before. If I'm wrong then that's some active-ass racism and sexism going on there.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens. Here's hoping they can find something else to do on election day. When does hunting season start?

Now, MSN is reporting the delegates as Obama 838 and Clinton 834.

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Clinton won 8 states, Obama won 13.

I am very very nervous right now. This recent round of voting has really reinforced to me what I have believed since the beginning. Every state that Obama won was practically a blowout. Clinton took Oklahoma by a large margin but the other states were pretty close. This only reinforces to me that the states that voted for Obama will not vote for Clinton if she is the democratic nomination. I don't know why people don't get this - I grew up in the Midwest, I know how hated Hillary is there. Maybe because people don't live there they don't understand how much the fundamentalist Republicans there that always tote the party line are rooting that Hillary win. You could put pretty much anyone up against her and they would win. If she can capture only 20-30% of the population of a state in a primary, I shudder to think about what will happen if she gets the nomination and the Independents and swing Republicans who voted pro Obama (which I believe is a lot) vote again. I guarantee you put her up against a moderate Republican like McCain and she'll lose. It scares the absolute hell out of me. My mother is a Republican for years now and her friends and her (who have voted the party line for years) broke and voted for Obama in the primary (some of them even voted just to vote against Hillary, I bet. They wouldn't admit it but I just have that gut feeling). My mother loves Obama. He has the ability, like I said, to swing voters. I saw on the news the other day a man who had a Bush/Cheney sticker and a GO ARMY sticker on his windshield that voted Obama. Thats incredible! You think that will happen with Hillary and you are deluding yourself. I sincerely hope and pray that if she gets the nomination she will actually be able to accrue enough popularity to win the White House, or else we have yet another Republican running things for the next four years. That scares me senseless. If Obama wins the nomination, he'll run away with the Presidency. If she's not popular enough during the primaries to not be blown out in those states that Obama won...well, I don't think his votes will automatically swing towards her. She's not a sure thing at this point and that scares the hell out of me. I want someone who is electable and a sure thing.
    You're right, January. With Obama winning by large margins in the states he won, it does show that most of his supporters will not vote for Hillary if she gets the nomination, and we could end up with McCain in the White House.

And I agree with you that Hillary is hated in the Midwest. But I don't think it's just the Midwest, Southern voters aren't really too hot on Hillary, either.

And the fact that Obama is winning a lot of the states in the Midwest, should show people that he is the more electable candidate. Because that region is the Bible Belt and usually staunch Republican strongholds. Hillary has shown that she can't really do much damage there, but Obama can.

But people are so blinded by the name Clinton, or the prospect of getting a woman in the White House, that they are ignoring that fact. And they shouldn't be surprised to wake up in November and find that we have John McCain as our president, if Hillary gets the nomination.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I actually got an email from a counsin in Alabama last night saying he would rather vote for a nigger than a woman. As far as I am concerned, we are no longer related. I hit reply all and blasted the sick bastard!!!!!!
    Unfortunately, that kind of thinking doesn't surprise me. More people than not probably have that same kind of thinking. Either in that order or the reverse where they say that'd rather vote for a woman than a nigger. It's stupid, but that's the reality of America.

Well this is exciting and interesting:
    Obama claims delegate lead
    By: Mike Allen
    Feb 6, 2008 08:24 AM EST
    Updated: February 6, 2008 11:09 AM EST
    In a surprise twist after a chaotic Super Tuesday, Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) passed Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) in network tallies of the number of delegates the candidates racked up last night.

The Obama camp now projects topping Clinton by 13 delegates, 847 to 834.

NBC News, which is projecting delegates based on the Democratic Party's complex formula, figures Obama will wind up with 840 to 849 delegates, versus 829 to 838 for Clinton.

Clinton was portrayed in many news accounts as the night’s big winner, but Obama’s campaign says he wound up with a higher total where it really counts — the delegates who will choose the party’s nominee at this summer’s Democratic convention.

With the delegate count still under way, NBC News said Obama appears to have won around 840 delegates in yesterday’s contests, while Clinton earned about 830 — “give or take a few,” Tim Russert, the network’s Washington bureau chief, said on the “Today” show.

The running totals for the two, which includes previous contests and the party officials known as “superdelegates,” are only about 70 delegates apart, Russert said.

The bottom line is that the two are virtually tied.

Obama won 13 states, some of them smaller, and Clinton won eight.

On Wednesday morning, the battle was on to shape public perceptions about Tuesday.

The Clinton campaign said it was crunching its delegate numbers but was not sure it was correct that Obama got more.

The Obama campaign sent an e-mailed statement titled: “Obama wins Super Tuesday by winning more states and more delegates.”

Campaign Manager David Plouffe said: “By winning a majority of delegates and a majority of the states, Barack Obama won an important Super Tuesday victory over Sen. Clinton in the closest thing we have to a national primary.”

“From Colorado and Utah in the West to Georgia and Alabama in the South to Sen. Clinton’s backyard in Connecticut, Obama showed that he can win the support of Americans of every race, gender and political party in every region of the country,” Plouffe said. “That’s why he’s on track to win Democratic nomination, and that’s why he’s the best candidate to defeat John McCain in November.”

The Obama campaign attached an Excel spreadsheet containing “state-by-state estimates of the pledged delegates we won last night, which total 845 for Obama and 836 for Clinton — bringing the to-date total of delegates to 908 for Obama, 884 for Clinton.”

Obama claims delegate lead - Mike Allen - Politico.com

Oh god, don't vote repug.. for the love of jebus, they offer nothing but corporatism, fascism, insanity or theocracy.

better to just spoil your ballot than inch one of those fuckers any closer to the white house. Look what happened the last 2 times!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^The article was right, they are basically tied. Now things should start to get really interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    You're right, January. With Obama winning by large margins in the states he won, it does show that most of his supporters will not vote for Hillary if she gets the nomination, and we could end up with McCain in the White House.

And I agree with you that Hillary is hated in the Midwest. But I don't think it's just the Midwest, Southern voters aren't really too hot on Hillary, either.

And the fact that Obama is winning a lot of the states in the Midwest, should show people that he is the more electable candidate. Because that region is the Bible Belt and usually staunch Republican strongholds. Hillary has shown that she can't really do much damage there, but Obama can.

But people are so blinded by the name Clinton, or the prospect of getting a woman in the White House, that they are ignoring that fact. And they shouldn't be surprised to wake up in November and find that we have John McCain as our president, if Hillary gets the nomination.
    Jeeze, King, that's the kind of fear-mongering that I would expect from Republicans......

What is a super-delegate? Forget it - I googled it.
    Last edited by sluce; February 6th, 2008 at 02:55 PM.

Hillary can win Texas though

it's not even close to being over yet

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

But people are so blinded by the name Clinton, or the prospect of getting a woman in the White House, that they are ignoring that fact.
    I don't think people are wanting Hillary just to get a woman into the White house any more than others, especially blacks, want to see a black person/man in the White House for the first time. Frankly, I can't blame people for wanting either of these since both of these groups have never had this position which speaks volumes about the status of both groups in this country, no matter how many people love to think that everyone is equal now and we don't need to stay vigilant about racism or sexism. Just having a black person or a female in that position is a starting point and makes the idea of having a non-white, non-male person in a position of huge influence and power more realistic for future elections. I honestly do not envy the person who is going to be the first anything, because they will be held to impossible standards and any shortcoming or misstep will be used as evidence that 'those people' can't handle the job. When Bush sucks, no one says that 'they' (white men) can't do the job because they have all these others who have been popular and successful to draw upon. The first black/woman president does not.

It seems to me that gender is actually a bit more of a problem in the Presidential election because characteristics that indicate good leadership (ambition, courage, strength) are traditionally viewed as male characteristics moreso than white/black/asian, etc. Men of any race are perceived as more powerful than a woman of any race and other physical characteristics such as height and depth of voice are also associated with leadership and are 'male' attributes. To be fair, most people wouldn't be likely to elect a white male with an ethnic last name who is 5 ft 6 and 140 lbs either, but still...............

Excellent points crumpet.

I was surprised that the exit polls showed that most felt Hillary would be better as Commander in Chief. I didn't think people would see a woman that way.

I am pissed that they are all missing so many votes while they are busy campaigning. From Sept-Nov Obama missed almost 80% of the votes on the Senate floor including a key vote on an Iran resolution. Clinton missed 63%. Prior to that Obama had missed 23.7% of all votes for the term and Clinton had missed 8.1%. They are still being paid to do their current job while they run. It's as if they don't want to vote in case their voting record can then be used against them. I am sure McCain has missed a ton too.

I think some of the same reasons people won't vote for Clinton is why she'd makes a great president. So what if she's a cast iron bitch? The equivalent of that quality would be admired in a man, but in a woman, it seems to be threatening.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

^Great points!

And I wish people would stop trying to convince us that the midwest and south wouldn't vote for Clinton in the general based on last night's results....you have no way of knowing that! That is, as cynic said, fear-mongering ( and obviously in the hopes of generating Obama votes!). All last night proved was that given the choices of Obama and Clinton, they chose Obama in greater numbers, NOT that when faced with the choice of Clinton as the democrat versus voting republican, that they'd vote republican.
    Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision-making.
    Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

Well of course Obama fans are going to say Clinton won't win the general election. They want Obama to win and they're playing on peoples fears. Just vote for whoever you believe will be the best, most qualified person for the job.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread Information