Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Super Tuesday

I wish politics was more about voting for candidates based on merit and abilities than whether someone LIKES them or not, or whether they are good-looking, a visible minority, a woman or anything else for that matter. It's actions and solid plans and the ability to carry them through that define a presidency, not whether they are likable. Lots of con artists are likable -- it goes with the territory. And no, I'm not saying any of the Dem candidates are cons.

Gold Member

I voted this morning too and it was packed. All the booths said Dems on them, I guess they are expecting a large turnout.

And not to split hairs Cali but Obama was a State Legislater in the Illinois Senate. He didn't oversee budgets or anything like that,it's basically a part time job. It's a good experience for someone who wants to run for Congress. He also ran for a House seat in 2000 and a Senate seat in 2004 so he spent much of that time as a Legislater campaigning.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

high-five to all of you who've gone out & voted today!

i ended up doing a write-in for kucinich.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

....my state doesn't have a primary until MAY....by that time, the media will already have decided on the winner......

....maybe Hilary and Barack will be killed in a freak accident and I can vote for Joseph Biden after all......

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    It seems that many people who are voting for Obama are doing so primarily because of his charisma. He is a great, passionate orator who seems more approachable than other politicians and probably has some great ideas. I don't think one has to have experience to be effective (though it helps). I've just noticed, though, that none of his supporters can name any accomplishments which leads me to believe that they are primarily voting for the way he makes them feel which is the same reason so many blue collar workers supported Reagan even though his agenda clearly did not place their interests at a high priority. He just made them feel proud to be American, proud to be part of something powerful, even if only by association.

Personally, I welcome new faces and a fresh perspective. I just wish that his supporters could articulate something more than 'he's for change' (isn't that what they all say?) or 'he speaks to me' (essentially the same thing as charisma).
    Well, it could also be said that many of the people that are supporting Hillary are doing it because of her last name, and the prospect of having Bill Clinton, and his charisma, back in the White House.

I mean, I wish some of the Hillary supporters would stop trying to pretend that she has this great career as a politician, when she doesn't. While Hillary has been around politics her entire life, she wasn't a politican until she became a senator 6 or 7 years ago. Up until that point, she was both the First Lady of Arkansas and of the United States. That doesn't count as political experience.

And as an Obama supporter, I can tell you that I like him because he wants to deal with some of the pressing issues like health care, the economy, but, primarily, the war. Unlike Hillary who wants the U.S. to maintain permanant military bases in Iraq, even thoough we ILLEGALLY invaded that country in an war based on a lie that she voted for.

And before anybody says 'well Obama voted to fund the war,' what else was he suppose to do? He didn't vote to go to war, but once we were there he had no choice but to vote to fund it so that the troops would get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintTheTownRed View Post
    I voted this morning too and it was packed. All the booths said Dems on them, I guess they are expecting a large turnout.

And not to split hairs Cali but Obama was a State Legislater in the Illinois Senate. He didn't oversee budgets or anything like that,it's basically a part time job. It's a good experience for someone who wants to run for Congress. He also ran for a House seat in 2000 and a Senate seat in 2004 so he spent much of that time as a Legislater campaigning.
    Are you serious? Obama served in the state senate as an elected official, and you're calling it a part-time job? So, what would you call Hillary's time as First Lady? A Cabinet position?

Downplaying Obama's accomplishments, to try and make Hillary look good by comparison is a poor strategy. Especially considering that Obama has served as an elected official longer than Hillary has.

They both suck in their respective ways, and i wouldn't vote for either of them cuz they and the entire Dem party keeps tossing the gays under the bus. I'd have to spoil the ballot or abstain because i'd just feel dirty voting at all for that kind of system.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^You could always pull a "Ralph Nader" and ruin it for the Democrats.......

Gold Member

A state legislator does not = a Senator. If you are interested in what a State Legislator does, research it.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Quote Originally Posted by PaintTheTownRed View Post
    A state legislator does not = a Senator. If you are interested in what a State Legislator does, research it.
    Once again, you can keep trying to downplay Obama's accomplishments all you want, but he was still a senator. And, unlike, Hillary when he served in the state state, and now U.S. senate, he got there on his merit, not his last name.

Oh, by the way, here's a little info on what Obama's 'part-time job' in the state senate was. So, here's a little research for YOU:

The Illinois Senate convenes at the Illinois State Capitol in Springfield, Illinois. Its first official working day is the second Wednesday of January each year. Its primary duties are to pass bills into law, approve the state budget, confirm appointments to state departments and agencies, act on federal constitutional amendments and propose constitutional amendments for Illinois.

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    ^^You could always pull a "Ralph Nader" and ruin it for the Democrats.......

I don't have to, Ralph is already exploring a presidential run *sigh*
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^yeah, and I figure the Supreme Court is trying to figure out another way to steal this election, too......

Gold Member

And what point are you trying to make? The state senate is a mini version of Congress. Most state legislators almost never work 40 hours and the pay is so bad they work other jobs to supplement their income or are retired. From what I remember, I could be wrong, obama worked as an attorney while he was a legislator.

Silver Member

I too am getting tired of Hillary overstating her experience. 35 years of experience? Give me a break. Her time as First Lady only partially counts since she did do a lot of diplomatic work and she has a realistic idea of what the role of president entails. But that's all. She can't count legislative or administrative experience from it.

Obama's experience as state legislature does count. It's just the same as being a member of Congress only on the state level. And Illinois is the 5th most populous state in the nation. So we're not talking some inky-dinky state here.

ETA: Am I the only one who's excited that it's Super Tuesday? I can't wait to hear the results and I hope the nominee won't be determined yet. It's more exciting that way. Am I the only political geek here?
    Last edited by purewine; February 5th, 2008 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    Please guys, do me a favor and vote for Hilary. Obama may be everyone's darling, but he can't run a country. Hilary can do that and much more. She has visions and a lot of experience with the international stage. She basically ran the country when Bill was president and you were all very satisfied with that. So her time as a first lady does count. She knows how to deal with Putin and Abbas, Musharraf and al the other scoundrels.

I beg you, vote for Hilary! Do the right thing.

(Don't make me be her Oprah)
    Ok. That did it. I am voting for Hil. Can I call her Hil?
    I didn't really like her at first but she has grown on me. And to be honest, I really don't like some of the things I have read about Obama when it comes to the gay community. There. I said it.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information