Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It's official -- EVERY man is a sexual predator until proven otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by JamieElizabeth View Post
    Ok. Well, it would be nice if you'd post such articles because I've never heard of it in the news. None at all. Nada. Zilch.

But I agree it goes on.
    You're missing the point. She's not commenting on this because of stories in the news. It's not necessarily "in the news" nor does it have to be. It's everywhere you look.

I think of all the people I currently know right now...including those I am merely acquainted with...I know of more single (as in unmarried, and mostly unattatched) people 18-30 (but some older) who still live with a parent or are financially dependent upon a parent than I do who live on their own and support themselves.

Now, I have been back in school for the last couple years, so a good deal of those are "kids" who are either still going to school or have returned, with the notion of being able to have a career and one day leave the nest for good. But whether of not they will actually do so is another matter entirely.

Kudos to you if you are "of age" (over 18), yet still young and single, but living on your own and supporting yourself entirely without your parents' help, or know several young people for whom this is the case.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I was on my own at 18, going to school and supporting myself.. it sucked and friends helped a lot, but it was a good learning experience.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    When I have students who whine about not "having time" to do their assignments, 9 times out of 10 they are living at home in the conditions that A*O describes. I can't take anyone over the age of 18 seriously who isn't at least doing their own laundry, chores etc. in lieu of rent (or even paying rent if they have a job). Some students get free rent while they're in school, but a lot of students seem to be professional freeloaders and many do it long after school is over.

Funny, the mature (older than early 20s, teens) students have loads more responsibilities, including bills, and they almost always have their work in on time.

THANK YOU PB! This is exactly how it is where I am enrolled. Funny how that works huh? We 'mature students' are pretty much the backbone of the classes and the entire campus where I am attending. At least we give our instrctors/professors hope and a reason to remain in their profession. It's nice to have people who actually come to class, turn work in, do well on tests, and appear to want (no, expect!) to get something out of it.

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

call me weird but i don't think there's anything wrong with parents supporting their kids through university. i didn't live at home while studying because i went to school in another country but my parents paid my tuition and gave me enough money for rent and food each month. i had a part-time job as a nanny to pay for any extras. yeah i did my share of partying but that and the 'lack of responsibility' didn't stop me from learning and graduating on the dean's list with a pretty high gpa. i agree that a lot of kids go to uni because they don't know what else to do and/or their parents want them to go, and they don't really want to learn, but it's really not everyone and those kids, if they're at a challenging school, won't make it past the first or second year. it's not fair to generalise.
    if i ever have kids and can afford it, i plan on doing the same for them. i think it's great to have a kind of transition phase between being a high-school kid, and going out in the world of adults.
    i went home briefly after graduating but i found a job within a month or so and have been 100% independent since.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^ ITA Mrs Dark^.......the fear of being a mature student seems to be a joke to some in class.But generally they have gone before things get serious in a scholastic sense. I have studied and taught at an institution close the the biggest party strip in my town, so those kiddies not serious about the luxury of learning in that capacity, apart from getting the proverbial leg over have left mid way through the year. Its a pity that these people took the opportunity of someone that really wanted to learn rather than just to party. IMHO charge school leavers double and see what happens. maybe a sense of responsibilility might hit when you hit their back pocket

I found it more advantageous to wait and go to school when i was older
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Gold Member

^ How much later did you go back Grimm?

i was 24

Gold Member

^ That's cool you were more ready. I wasn't much more mature at 24 than I was at 18, unfortunately, so wouldn't have mattered if I waited.

LOL i wasnt ready at 18 to go into college.. i needed to breathe, to live a little. When i went back at 24/25 I was much more ready to actually learn.

Unfortunately, I was stuck in a class with 19 year olds.

I went to college, took more than 4 years in fact, and lived at home the whole time. But there's no way in hell I would have been able to pull this off if I fucked around (and fucked up) half as much as the kids I see now. I was expected to get the grades, do the work, help out around the house. Now, I did have considerably more freedom than when I was "underage", and my mom didn't hang out over my shoulder making sure I got my schoolwork done or came home by X curfew every night, but I knew what was expected of me. And it included some semblance of "house rules" along with attending school and doing well in all my classes.

I had a part time job that covered anything to where I would not have had to ask my parents for money, even buying much of my own groceries and all of my own clothes. Even being in school, after a certain age, money from parents for anything other than school tuition was only an every-once-in-awhile thing, something big that I needed their help financing. I certainly did not get an "allowance" from them at that point.

Even still, I remember taking some 'flak' from my mom from time to time. And mom took 'flak' from others who thought that she should have been charging me rent starting at age 18, even though I was in school full time, taking up to 19 hrs a semester, equating me with some other "freeloader" kids they knew who neither went to school or worked, yet lived with their parents rent free. Or kids who half-assed it in school just so they could keep living at the parents' house rent free, but in reality did whatever they wanted. (I assure you I would have been out on my ass if I did that, this shit would not have flied with my mom).

So I don't disagree with a kid living at home, even rent-free. But only under certain conditions. But even if those conditions are met, kids almost never truly appreciate this until they are own their own and supporting themselves and finding out what real responsibilities are. My current classmates who come rushing to get to an 8AM class on time (and often coming in late), having obviously just rolled out of bed and barely awake, often hung over and sipping coffee, are simply amazed at how I am not only there every day, but decently dressed and coiffed and prepared to take notes or whatever else. But when you have a kid you have to get up and get ready and have at school by 7:15AM (He used to ride the bus which came by about 6:40)...sheeeyat...being at an 8AM class is just gravy. Hell, school is actually a nice BREAK for me from the real world.

^^Yes, you are so right about mature students often being the backbone of classes. The worst classes I've ever taught are the ones full of entitled 18-year-olds who have no idea why they are there and whose sole goal in life seems to be to get by with doing as little as possible while blaming everybody else for their lousy marks/lives. Yes, there are exceptions -- bright young adults eager to learn and to succeed but they are almost always a minority, and usually, they aren't the affluent suburban kids with the new cars, LV purses, electronic gadgets and fake tans.

The worst are the ones who want to be writers but who don't read, and think that writing consists of cutting and pasting someone else's words and putting their name on it, or not bothering to even read the assignment and handing in some garbage, and then appealing their marks! I have a reputation for giving "real" marks instead of Bs and As for simply showing up and handing something in. That makes me popular with students who want to learn, and not so popular with the ones who simply take up space when they bother to show up at all.

A*O

If you are in full time education and your parents are willing to support you during that time then go for it! The people I am talking about are not students (some of them never were). They are in full time employment earning a good wage but remain at home with their parents often paying little or no rent and making no contribution to the household expenses. I know a family with two adult kids aged in the late 20s, both of whom have well-paid jobs. They don't pay a cent towards their keep and their mother continues to be their domestic slave doing absolutely EVERYTHING for the lazy buggers. She often complains about how she's being taken for granted (well duh) but won't boot them out "because they will never manage on their own". Well, whose fault's that?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Kick Them Out And They'll Learn Fast Enough.

Trial by fire works amazingly well for some people.

I was on my own at 15 and never looked back. It has made me who I am today and even though it was hard, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I went to school a few years ago for a few quarters and my teachers loved me. More than a couple of them said they wished all their students were like me. Ha ha.

My husband has quite a few friends whose parents have supported them (enabled/disabled in my opinion) their whole lives and they have no idea what to do with themselves. Especially when hard times hit. These people will be totally lost when their parents pass on. I think a lot of my generation is going to have some serious, hard doses of reality coming.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information