Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 46

Thread: Interesting analysis/videos/links about the healthcare crisis

  1. #31
    Elite Member Fluffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cockfosters View Post
    Is Medicare elective though? I think that's a good place to start regarding income bracket cut-offs and stuff, if you don't want Medicare how do you opt out? If you do want Medicare, can you increase coverage beyond what the government offers and how much is that?
    No, Medicare is not elective. That's why Dick Armey wants to get out of it because he thinks it's tyranny.

    Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    1. Single payer will happen if and when enough people are without health insurance. What that magic number is, I don't know.
    Or when health care premiums start getting too expensive and provide too little coverage.
    Without Reform, Health Insurance Premiums Could Double By 2020

  2. #32
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    There's a niche. Single Payer doesn't pay for absolutely EVERYTHING in most cases.. people still get work benefits that cover things like prescription med costs, dental, eye care..

    but if you get a checkup aith a GP, it's covered.. if you need to go to the hospital for whatever reason, the most you might have to pay is a 40$ ambulance ride they bill you later on. That's it. Your treatment and hospital stay is covered.

    They just wouldn't be earning the absolutely disgusting profits they are now, and that's why it will never happen because lobbying hasn't been fucking outlawed and has taken control of the government
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  3. #33
    Silver Member cockfosters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    pdx
    Posts
    321

    Default

    But... but... now they give homeless people food to wait in line for the lobbyists instead of them having to waste their precious day. Surely that's an improvement to democracy!
    Enjoy the liquor and delicatessen.

  4. #34
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,161

    Default

    Here it is...the # I was looking for....drumroll....$66151 for a family of 4 unsubsidized, $32,321 for singles unsubsidized. That's assuming you do not have employer provided health insurance.

    Flickr Photo Download: Health Insurance Reform in Three Easy Steps

    I don't know where they get these numbers from, but that's about what I thought.

    It isn't clear to me how keeping my employer-provided insurance going forward is not going to get unbearably expensive in the coming years. We still pay premiums of about $400/month. With co-insurance of 20%, $15 office visit copays, and no coverage for supplements or acupuncture, we have spent an additional $3800 this year over and above the premiums. And we're not even sick

  5. #35
    Elite Member lurkur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,377

    Default

    As long as both politicians and "taxpayers" keep talking about health care in terms of dollar amounts instead of human lives, there won't be much in the way of reform. People aren't tax returns or health care premiums. People are so brainwashed to grab their pitchforks when you mention taxes paying for health care, and a tax cut that throws a couple of bucks their way meanwhile buys someone else a new yacht, and those same people grabbing their pitchforks won't get treatment when they need it.

  6. #36
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    Here it is...the # I was looking for....drumroll....$66151 for a family of 4 unsubsidized, $32,321 for singles unsubsidized. That's assuming you do not have employer provided health insurance.

    Flickr Photo Download: Health Insurance Reform in Three Easy Steps

    I don't know where they get these numbers from, but that's about what I thought.

    It isn't clear to me how keeping my employer-provided insurance going forward is not going to get unbearably expensive in the coming years. We still pay premiums of about $400/month. With co-insurance of 20%, $15 office visit copays, and no coverage for supplements or acupuncture, we have spent an additional $3800 this year over and above the premiums. And we're not even sick
    ... i paid 2 dollars as a dispensing fee for 2 weeks worth of antibiotics, probably around 350 dollars in your world.

    Oh, and 5 bucks for a doctors note.. fuckers charge for that now, in the clinics. I guess they want to make an extra buck.

    Oh, and i went to the hospital for an evening, had xrays done and had 2 on call docs look at me.. net cost zero.

    For all that, I payed 7 dollars.

    Enjoy your non single payer healthcare while i think your country is absolutely batshit.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  7. #37
    Elite Member L1049's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chillin with my homeboy Xenu
    Posts
    2,435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    There's a niche. Single Payer doesn't pay for absolutely EVERYTHING in most cases.. people still get work benefits that cover things like prescription med costs, dental, eye care..

    but if you get a checkup aith a GP, it's covered.. if you need to go to the hospital for whatever reason, the most you might have to pay is a 40$ ambulance ride they bill you later on. That's it. Your treatment and hospital stay is covered.

    They just wouldn't be earning the absolutely disgusting profits they are now, and that's why it will never happen because lobbying hasn't been fucking outlawed and has taken control of the government
    It seems like most of the staunchest "anti-socialistic" healthcare douchebags think we get everything paid for including what you mentioned above (vision, dental, Rx, etc.)

    My mother went to the hospital last year with pains in her chest, and her biggest complaint was the $75, 5 minute ambulance ride from work to the hospital.....and Xenu help you if you need a Medivac chopper. I can't even imagine how much that would cost.

  8. #38
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    In some single payer/nationalized health care societies, dental vision, EVERYTHING is covered. I can only speak of the Canadian plan.

    We don't have nationalized healthcare, the doctors, nurses and medical people work for the hospitals and clinics. THe province is allocated a certain amount of money for healthcare by the federal government.

    The only time healthcare suffers is when asshole conservatives get into power, cut taxes for a cheap win and then gut funding for healthcare.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  9. #39
    Elite Member Fluffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Enjoy your non single payer healthcare while i think your country is absolutely batshit.
    And it's only going to get even more batty! I'm sure it's just another reason you're glad you're Canadian. Watching this health care nonsense must be the best reality show EVAH!

    Quote Originally Posted by L1049 View Post
    My mother went to the hospital last year with pains in her chest, and her biggest complaint was the $75, 5 minute ambulance ride from work to the hospital.....and Xenu help you if you need a Medivac chopper. I can't even imagine how much that would cost.
    Your house.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    In some single payer/nationalized health care societies, dental vision, EVERYTHING is covered. I can only speak of the Canadian plan.
    Sounds like Scandinavia to me...possibly Japan too, though I'm not sure about that.

  10. #40
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    Why do you think I like American politics so much? it's so polemic and insane! It's a freakshow, a circus of grotesqueries. It's like Jerry Springer with more amputee lesbian nazi dwarves.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  11. #41
    Silver Member cockfosters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    pdx
    Posts
    321

    Default

    aw, Arrianna Huffington's not that bad.
    Enjoy the liquor and delicatessen.

  12. #42
    Elite Member Fluffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Why do you think I like American politics so much? it's so polemic and insane! It's a freakshow, a circus of grotesqueries. It's like Jerry Springer with more amputee lesbian nazi dwarves.
    I'd enjoy it more from the sidelines too if it didn't affect my life and didn't have to deal with crazies spouting whatever from Fox News.

  13. #43
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    Well yes, I have the notable advantage of watching from a distance, so it's all fun and games to me.

    I dunno how you all function down there, it seems so crazy
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  14. #44
    Elite Member Fluffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    5,600

    Default

    Guns!

  15. #45
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,372

    Default

    that doesnt seem to work so well
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Analysis: Why do politicians cheat?
    By celeb_2006 in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 29th, 2009, 02:44 PM
  2. Best & worst of the VP debate: Hangover day analysis
    By lurkur in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: October 6th, 2008, 04:55 AM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: October 4th, 2008, 09:33 AM
  4. Integral analysis of Iraq crisis
    By JamieElizabeth in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 17th, 2007, 02:31 PM
  5. Skin Analysis
    By Chalet in forum Beauty and Skincare
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 20th, 2007, 07:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •