Page 5 of 176 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 2633
Like Tree8338Likes

Thread: Inaugurination and beyond: Trump thread part three

  1. #61
    Elite Member ShimmeringGlow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,913

    Default

    Wilson likes this.

  2. #62
    Elite Member Mivvi21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    I try so hard to avoid political debate / commentary on social media. Sometimes I fail. Today I have abstained. But I honestly do not know how to respond to family / friends posting shit like "This is a great day for America!" or "Suck it up buttercups! There is a new sheriff in town!"

    I am at a total loss for words. Also, I can't see these people the same way ever again. I'm starting to harbor real dislike that can quickly turn to hate.
    I feel the same exact way. I have close family members who support Cheeto Mussolini no matter how repugnant he is. Their stupidity and ignorance have made me develop a lot of dislike for them that is turning into not even wanting to see their faces much less talk to them. I will never see these people the same way again.

  3. #63
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitetigeress View Post
    At first I thought he says "funny" but its "friday".
    I don't mean to argue, but what proof is there he's eyeing Ivanka? His expression seems to me as if he knows something. Has a secret. Those aren't they eyes of lust but knowledge. Friday? Why would he say Friday? It is Friday? Next Friday? Hillary reactions appears to be, stop Bill, before you give it away. I dunno. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

    And another thing, where was Bob Lee Swagger today?

    If I see one more comparison of the First Whore to Jackie Kennedy, I'll murder someone.

  4. #64
    Silver Member Wilson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    553

    Default

    You are good, Twitchy!

  5. #65
    Elite Member Seapharris7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Raccoon City
    Posts
    3,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Is that who did the anthem? My office neighbor had it on and it sounded like screeching tires.
    My step monster is a Trump supporter, and on FB today she posted an conservative article about a "Brave Teen Singer Courageously Sings National Anthem"... Instantly I was intrigued by their choice of words. So I listened and my bf was in the room with me. He asked who that was because he didn't think she was singing the right words and was off. I felt awful for her. It should have been a really proud moment for her, and instead she got this...
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

  6. #66
    Elite Member stella blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seapharris7 View Post
    My step monster is a Trump supporter, and on FB today she posted an conservative article about a "Brave Teen Singer Courageously Sings National Anthem"... Instantly I was intrigued by their choice of words. So I listened and my bf was in the room with me. He asked who that was because he didn't think she was singing the right words and was off. I felt awful for her. It should have been a really proud moment for her, and instead she got this...
    You must be a nicer person than me. I didn't listen, but I also don't feel bad for her. Lie with dogs, fleas, yadda yadda.

  7. #67
    Elite Member Seapharris7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Raccoon City
    Posts
    3,037

    Default

    I feel bad that she's 16 (I think) and I'm sure she really isn't decided this of her freewill. At least she looked terrified to me, it was hard to watch. I didn't watch anything else, I read what Dan Rather wrote and I think it does a great job of summing up how I believe a lot of Americans feel. I posted Obama's farewell speech on my FB wall and no one commented or even like it... But I get the feeling when it comes up in memories I'm really going to need to hear/read it again. Thanks Obama
    stella blue and Alysheba like this.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

  8. #68
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    29,686
    Seapharris7 and panic like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

  9. #69
    Elite Member nwgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,005

    Default

    I don't have a bunch of FB friends who either A: are Trump supporters (for the simple fact that they wouldn't be my friends if our basic beliefs were so different) and B: I can kind of tend to be a righteous bitch when challenged, which tends to dissuade even the most fervent opposing view. I also temper my posts and responses because I, unlike the trolls, actually use my FB in a personal level and it's connected to my real friends, family and business assocations. When I do post or respond, it's usually fact-based refutations that leave little wiggle room.

    But the other day I got into it with a friend of a friend on a post, which I almost never do, and made it personal. A proud Trump supporter tried to defend his undying support of Trump based on his 32 years of military service and said that he was "cautiously optimistic". This was my response to him:

    I don't expect any real answer [name deleted]. But one thing I want you to seriously consider, remove all bias about this thread and the topic of the election, and imagine this scenario:

    You said you served 32 years. Let's say one day you show up on the battlefield and you have a new General (please pardon my lack of correct terminology). You say "what's the plan?" And he says "we got big plans, huge plans, best plans you've ever seen. So many plans you're gonna get tired of winning. And the plans we have are way better than GI Jane's plans over there. Now go on out there soldier!"

    Would you not ask any questions? Would you not expect a bare minimum of planning or coordination or communication about the big, great plans? Would you push your fellow soldiers out on the battlefield and be like "cross your fingers boys...I'm cautiously optimistic about this."

    Or would you be like.....ummmm....ya, we don't like GI Jane's plans, but at least she has some. And with my life and the lives of my friends on the line, I think I'm gonna need a bit more info.

    Needless to say, he blocked me and never responded.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

  10. #70
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    29,686

    Default

    Pussy
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

  11. #71
    Elite Member stella blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,204

    Default

    I really want to ask Trump voters how they can, with anything resembling a straight face, tell their children to behave and study and do the right thing. How they can look their daughters in the eye when they voted for someone who doesn't even pretend to treat women as anything more than decoration. I mean, if that's the world they want to live in, then they should teach their sons to lie, cheat, steal, and abuse and save up for liposuction and tit jobs instead of college for their daughters because that's how things work and that's how they like it. Ugh, I just cannot believe how many giant fucking assholes live in this country.

  12. #72
    Elite Member Seapharris7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Raccoon City
    Posts
    3,037

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    You must be a nicer person than me. I didn't listen, but I also don't feel bad for her. Lie with dogs, fleas, yadda yadda.
    Thanks Stella, but I try not to say *nice*, because I'm just honest really. And "Step Monster" should be explanatory enough on how I feel about my dad's companion. Jackie (the singer) looked like a scared kid to me, and I went back and checked, yep, she's only 16 and her claim to fame is being the runner up in America's Got Talent when she was 10. So now I'm picturing and evil momanger. But, I digress, I'm honest - BUT I really do try to understand all sides and facts before I make a case or argument.

    And I try to gauge my audience, and for the most part GR seems like a reality like minded group. I feel like my emotions are running in cycles from the election. Earlier this week I was firmly, "OK. Fuck it. Let's burn everything to the fucking ground because these fucking morons need to learn the hard way." Then I got my period and I'm completely OK with staying in my PJs, eating all the carbs, and sobbing to Lifetime Movies.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

  13. #73
    Elite Member nwgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    5,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I really want to ask Trump voters how they can, with anything resembling a straight face, tell their children to behave and study and do the right thing. How they can look their daughters in the eye when they voted for someone who doesn't even pretend to treat women as anything more than decoration. I mean, if that's the world they want to live in, then they should teach their sons to lie, cheat, steal, and abuse and save up for liposuction and tit jobs instead of college for their daughters because that's how things work and that's how they like it. Ugh, I just cannot believe how many giant fucking assholes live in this country.
    I don't know how the divide will be crossed. It's literally inconceivable to me. Before this election I could understand and have grace for people with differing opinions than me. This man....it's like watching someone drown a dog and being like "hey, wanna come dog sit for me this weekend?".
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

  14. #74
    Elite Member dolem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,556

    Default

    I feel the same way. I know quite a few conservative people who simply could not vote for him because of who he actually is. They didn't vote for Hillary, but more importantly, they didn't vote for Trump because they knew he was so awful. In Oregon Hillary was going to win anyways, so their votes weren't going to make or break anything. I can at least respect that they see him as unbalance and dangerous, too. I just can't understand there feverent worship of him. He's literally never done anything to help anyone except for himself and his family. Do they actually think he's going to come in here and be caring and helpful to those really in need.

    Side Note: Today of FB I saw a post of a school acquaintance who was disparaging Michelle Obama. It f-ing pissed me off. M.O. is amazing. She's smart, she's strong, she's pretty freaking great. It honestly made me not want my kid to be friends with her kid. Is that wrong of me as a mom?

  15. #75
    Silver Member ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    282

    Default

    I just shake my head when I hear "We just wanted someone different." Well, you're not getting someone different. You're getting pretty much the same kind of folks who've kept us in armed conflict and brought on the financial crisis. Jack Ma (Alibaba founder) got it exactly right in my opinion.

    "In the past 30 years, America had 13 wars spending $14.2 trillion ... no matter how good your strategy is you're supposed to spend money on your own people," Ma said. "The money goes to Wall Street. Then what happened? Year 2008 wiped out $19.2 trillion in US income ... What if the money was spent on the Midwest of the United States?" "The other countries steal jobs from you guys that is your strategy. You did not distribute the money in the proper way."

    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/alibab...135400213.html

    Alibaba founder Jack Ma has a brutal theory of how America went wrong over the past 30 years

    Jim Edwards
    Business InsiderJanuary 19, 2017


    (Jack Ma.WEF)
    DAVOS, Switzerland Alibaba founder Jack Ma thinks America went wrong over the past 30 years by focusing too much on war and Wall Street. Speaking at the World Economic Forum on Wednesday, Ma was asked about globalisation and the reaction to it represented by the election of Donald Trump as US president.

    He responded that back when Thomas Friedman published "The World Is Flat" in 2005, globalisation looked like "a perfect strategy" for the US: "We just want the technology, and the IP, and the brand, and we'll leave the other jobs" to other countries like Mexico and China, he said.

    "American international companies made millions and millions of dollars from globalisation," Ma said.
    As an example of just how much was available, Ma said, "When I graduated from university I tried to buy a beeper, and it cost me $250. My pay at the time was $10 a month."
    "IBM, Microsoft," he added, "the profit they made was larger than the top four banks in China put together ... But where did the money go?"

    Ma said that 30 years ago the American companies that people in China heard about were Ford and Boeing. Today the companies that people in China talk about are in Silicon Valley and on Wall Street.

    At the same time, the US spent a lot of money on foreign conflicts. "In the past 30 years, America had 13 wars spending $14.2 trillion ... no matter how good your strategy is you're supposed to spend money on your own people," Ma said. "The money goes to Wall Street. Then what happened? Year 2008 wiped out $19.2 trillion in US income ... What if the money was spent on the Midwest of the United States?"
    "The other countries steal jobs from you guys that is your strategy. You did not distribute the money in the proper way."

    Elsewhere during his talk, Ma said his favourite film was "Forrest Gump" because he saw something of Alibaba in Gump's shrimp boat. Ma quoted Gump as saying "Nobody makes money catching whales people make money catching shrimps."
    "That's how we make money" at Alibaba, he said.

    He also revealed that he wanted to retire early: "I don't want to die in my office," he said. "I want to die on the beaches."
    Editors note: This post has been updated to reflect that Ma said "spending 14.2 trillion" where an earlier version stated he said "spending 2 trillion".

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •