Page 3 of 176 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree8338Likes

Thread: Inaugurination and beyond: Trump thread part three

Someone I met on Facebook called me last night to discuss the new movie Moonlight. Near the end of the conversation we started talking about politics. I thought he was cool, if a bit intense and needy, but he seemed friendly enough, he was a gay white guy who told me how much the film moved him and that is why he wanted to speak with me on the phone. He asked me who I voted for. "Hillary Clinton", I said, assuming he'd say the same. "Well, I voted for Donald Trump...but wait, wait, listen. I'm not a political person, I voted for him because he was different! We need a different type of person in the White House!". "Dude!", I said. "He has white nationalist and white supremacist support and several of his cabinet members have links to hate groups and right wing anti-minority, anti-gay think tanks! What were you thinking?" "Oh, well, I didn't know about any of that!", he said sheephishly. "Let's just talk about the movie - you'll call me after you've seen it so we can talk about it?". "We'll see, " I said, hanging up shortly after. I thought about it for a good five minutes before I unfriended him and deleted his number from my phone.

Had to drain the swamp.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Unfortunately, they answered that in the article.

"African-Americans account for nearly 20 percent of the overall federal workforce — a proportion larger than their population size of 13 percent. Gingrich’s cynical political play is likely very cognizant of this fact."
    So basically he wants to thin out the ethnic make up of the federal workforce while appeasing the Trump supporters who want to see Democrat voters heads on spikes over the Whitehouse gates. Gotcha.
    panic and Serendipity like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post

Did she lose her baton?

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    and you hire a rabid raccoon to do your makeup
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I don't care who you voted for, this is funny!

Brookie likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

United States of America, Land of the Free*

*Some restrictions apply.

The ACLU files first FOIA request asking for information on Trump's business conflicts

Jan 20, 2017 10:53am EST by Walter Einenkel
    Comment large49

The ACLU just announced it has filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to see any and all information relating to our orange-overlord.

That’s why we’re stepping in now, using FOIA — one of America’s most critical guarantors of government transparency and the central mechanism by which ordinary Americans can provide ongoing public checks and balances on elected officials in the political branches. We want to know how the Trump transition team and the government offices tasked with supervising ethics-related issues for the incoming administration have been thinking about and confronting these potential conflicts. In pursuit of that information, we’ve asked for a gamut of documents — legal opinions, policy advisories, communications, and more — that address them. And we aim to publish the responses so that the American public can do its job conducting broad-based democratic oversight of the new administration.

The many conflict-of-interest issues presented by Donald Trump’s assumption of the presidency threaten to undermine the public’s confidence in government, the global community’s trust in our nation’s chief executive, and even potentially our national security. With this FOIA — surely the first of many to come during the next four years — we hope to facilitate the public’s indispensable role in checking the power of our public officials.

The fight is on.

The ACLU files first FOIA request asking for information on Trump's business conflicts

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I don't care who you voted for, this is funny!

At first I thought he says "funny" but its "friday".

His asshole supporters are saying that the crowds are less because Swamp Monster's supporters have jobs to go to while all of Obama's supporters didn't...
    BITTER, Kittylady, Mivvi21 and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    His asshole supporters are saying that the crowds are less because Swamp Monster's supporters have jobs to go to while all of Obama's supporters didn't...
    I know you when life give you lemons, you make lemonade, but what can you make out of bullshit.
    Serendipity, Brah and Seapharris7 like this.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I know you when life give you lemons, you make lemonade, but what can you make out of bullshit.
    Ttongsul,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ttongsul
    BITTER and Seapharris7 like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I turned off the TV, his speech was so negative and painted such a bleak picture of America. Apparently all has gone to shit, Obama did nothing and Trump will solve ALL the problems that this country could ever face. Only HE can do it, no one else. I honestly don't know how any decent person could have voted for him. It pisses me off when I see someone "like" something Trump related (a positive article) on Facebook. I'm officially pulling myself off FB for the rest of the day. I can't deal with it.

He's disgusting. I can only hope that he's impeached quickly. Not that Pence is any better, but at least I believe him to not be an insane dictator and would work within the confines of the Constitution.
    Mivvi21, Serendipity and Alysheba like this.

czb

panic, Kittylady, Nevan and 3 others like this.

https://www.facebook.com/viralthread...2172695924571/

Source: Occupy Democrats

Dan Rather Just Went Viral Shredding Trump’s Inauguration Speech

Dan Rather, former CBS Evening News anchor, has released an elegant, tragic statement about the Donald Trump presidential inauguration that occurred today at noon. He sums up the collective anxiety that is gripping the majority of Americans as we enter into the great unknown. Rather elucidates the reasons why the American people are faced with so much uncertainty heading into a presidency, when normally the incoming president is transparent.

And so it begins.

Of the nearly 20 inaugurations I can remember, there has never been one that felt like today. Not even close. Never mind the question of the small size of the crowds, or the boycott by dozens of lawmakers, or even the protest marches slated for tomorrow across the country. Those are plays upon the stage. What is truly unprecedented in my mind is the sheer magnitude of quickening heartbeats in millions of Americans, a majority of our country if the polls are to be believed, that face today buffeted within and without by the simmering ache of dread.

I have never seen my country on an inauguration day so divided, so anxious, so fearful, so uncertain of its course.

I have never seen a transition so divisive with cabinet picks so encumbered by serious questions of qualifications and ethics.
    I have never seen the specter of a foreign foe cast such a dark shadow over the workings of our democracy.

I have never seen an incoming president so preoccupied with responding to the understandable vagaries of dissent and seemingly unwilling to contend with the full weight and responsibilities of the most powerful job in the world.
    I have never seen such a tangled web of conflicting interests.

Despite the pageantry of unity on display at the Capitol today, there is a piercing sense that we are entering a chapter in our nation’s evolving story unlike one ever yet written. To be sure, there are millions of Donald Trump supporters who are euphoric with their candidate’s rise. Other Trump voters have expressed reservations, having preferred his bluster to his rival’s perceived shortcomings in the last election, but admitting more and more that they are not sure what kind of man they bestowed the keys to the presidency. The rest of America – the majority of voters – would not be – and indeed is not – hesitant in sharing its conclusions on the character and fitness of Donald Trump for the office he now holds.

The hope one hears from even some of Donald Trump’s critics is that this moment might change him. Perhaps, as he stood there on a grey, drab, January day, reciting the solemn oath of office demanded by our Constitution, as he looked out across what Charles Dickens once called the “city of magnificent intentions”, he would somehow grasp the importance of what he was undertaking. Perhaps he would understand that he must be the president of all the United States, in action as well as in word. Perhaps, but there has already been so much past that is prologue.

There is usually much fanfare around inaugural addresses. They are also usually forgotten – with some notable exceptions. I think today will be remembered, not so much for the rhetoric or the turns of phrase but for the man who delivered them and the era they usher us forth.

Mr. Trump’s delivery was staccato and there was very little eye contact as he seemed to be reading carefully from a teleprompter. His words and tone were angry and defiant. He is still in campaign mode and nary a whiff of a unifying spirit. There was little or nothing of uplift – the rhetoric of Washington, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy, or Reagan. We heard a cavalcade of slogans and one liners, of huge promises to “bring back” an America – whatever that really means to many who look at our history and see progress in our current society.

The speech started with a message of an establishment in Washington earning riches on the back of struggling families across the country. It was an odd note, considering the background of many of his cabinet picks. President Trump painted a very dark picture of the current state of our nation, beset by gangs and drugs and violence, regardless of what the data shows. His words swelled with his economic populism and the nationalism of “America first.” The applause was sparse, and I imagine many more being turned off, even sickened, rather than inspired by what our new President had to say. President Obama looked on with an opaque poker face. One could only imagine what he was thinking.

It bears remembering that one never can predict the arc of a presidency. It is an office that is far too often shaped by circumstance well beyond its occupant’s control. Those challenges, wherever and however they may rise, now will fall on the desk of President Trump. We can only see what will happen. We hope, for the security and sanctity of our Republic, that Mr. Trump will respond to the challenges with circumspection and wisdom. Today’s rhetoric was not reassuring.

Our democracy demands debate and dissent – fierce, sustained, and unflinching when necessary. I sense that tide is rising amongst an opposition eager to toss aside passivity for action. We are already seeing a more emboldened Democratic party than I have witnessed in ages. It is being fueled by a fervent energy bubbling from the grassroots up, rather than the top down.

These are the swirling currents about our ship of state. We now have a new and untested captain. His power is immense, but it is not bestowed from a divinity on high. It is derived, as the saying goes, from the consent of the governed. That means President Trump now works for us – all of us. And if he forgets that, it will be our duty to remind him.

Rather’s final two sentences are a reminder that we need to maintain hope for our great nation’s future and not be beaten down by Trump’s authoritarian rhetoric. Like it or not, Trump is our president and we are not going let him act otherwise.

Ryan Mac ‏@RMac18

Just a nice easy transition of http://whitehouse.gov URLs. Nothing to see here folks.

John Hendrickson ‏@JohnGHendy

Civil Rights, climate change, and healthcare have all been scrubbed from the White House website http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a52430/white-house-website-changes/ …

Source: Occupy Democrats

Trump Just Stole A Photo Of Obama’s Inauguration Because Nobody Came To His

The presidential media team is already hard at work massaging the royal ego. The presidential Twitter account has been updated to reflect the fact that a man who admitted to sexually assaulting a woman was just inaugurated as the President of the United States.
    However, to make it seem like the inauguration was more of a success than it actually was and to manufacture the impression that Trump is more popular than his rock-bottom approval ratings would indicate, his media team used a photo from President Obama’s inauguration.

Adam Pash ‏@adampash

banner image on new @realDonaldTrump's @potus account shows highly attended inauguration... from 2009 https://twitter.com/POTUS

The crowds on the Mall look pretty scant. I remember being cramped and freezing during W's last and Obama's first inauguration.

2 antwoorden 12 retweets 38 vind-ik-leuks

Gavin Jackson ‏@GavinJackson

MSNBC Live shot of the Mall with an hour or so until Donald Trump is sworn in vs. Obama's inauguration in 2009.

Trump’s inauguration will be remembered as one of the least attended and most heavily protested inaugurations in American history. For a narcissist obsessed with optics, ratings, and other measurements, this will be a serious source of frustration for the new president. What is most worrying, however, is the fact that the White House staff is already working to distort reality and ignore the fact that the false emperor has no clothes.

Last edited by HWBL; January 20th, 2017 at 02:28 PM.
    C_is_for_Cookie, Mivvi21 and panic like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Thread Information