Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: The Inauguration of Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    ^^And aimed directly and Bush and Cheney!
    Uh...it was directed toward to Al Qaeda. He was speaking about the terrorists attacks and their continuous threats.

Late coming to this one, and obviously haven't read all the posts, but it was a lovely ceremony and it was WONDERFUL to see the enthusiasm of the crowd and just everyone in general.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah it was quite the 180 from Bush-devil's infuckerations.

i remember how i totally ignored his last one like i would turn off the tv and leave the room when anything about it was mentioned and how with this one i was up early watching and wanted to finish it but had to get to work cuz i was already late from watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    and i was listening to faux news b/c thats what was playing on my local fox station with the morning show that i usually watch every morning for the weather, not on purpose! i dont have cable remember?!

and karma kicking your ass....
    You poor child

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

I love this pic, because I love irony. Nothing tickles my cynical sense of humor more.

When RFK was attorney general he authorized FBI survelliance on King......wiretaps on MLK's phones, and eavesdropping bugs in his home and office, bugs in his hotel rooms when he travelled.....this started while JFK was president- who approved of it- and was justified with the false accusation that MLK was a communist.

....and today he's considered a civil rights champion...because he made a few nice speeches. His actions were completely different than those speeches, but his being included in images like this are a great example of rewritten history.

LBJ did more for civil rights than either of the Kennedy's. He should be there in place of RFK. But most Americans don't bother to learn their own history.
    I suppose marching and risking your lives [as with others] by particpating in sit ins, boycotting, etc. was out of nothing in significance

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    Yes, Nicole and it doesn't sound good...

It never fails...
    pretty much.

Maybe I'm too caught up in the ceremony, can someone please tell me what is so over the top about this.

Has anyone else noticed that the Biden's nor Obama'a are smiling anymore?
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Wow...I left the TV during the luncheon to go make lunch and came back to the news about Kennedy. Still sad regardless of opinions about the man. Also sad about the shift in tone that's happened as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    Uh...it was directed toward to Al Qaeda. He was speaking about the terrorists attacks and their continuous threats.
    Uh...it was aimed at all leaders who seek to use war and destruction to further their agendas. Just because Bush and Cheney, or any of their cronies who may try to follow in their footsteps, happen to be American does not exempt them from that group. Some terrorists are homegrown.

Subtext is a powerful tool. His vow to extend helping hands instead of using force and acting as a friend and not a tyrant helped illustrate the underlying meaning, aka...ready for it...subtext!

nah not really, i dont care about ted kennedy.

Obama signs first presidential proclamation
    Posted: 03:15 PM ET
    (CNN) — President Obama was set to sign three sets of documents in the Capitol today, aides told CNN earlier Tuesday:

– a proclamation declaring today a day of national renewal and reconciliation. The last three presidents have signed similar proclamations in this same time and venue).

– cabinet nominations

– sub-cabinet nominations

"I'm a lefty. Get used to it," Obama quipped as he signed his name. "I was told not to swipe the pen."

Senate staffers say the nominations will be presented to the Senate when it convenes at 3 pm today, and are necessary for those nominees to be confirmed by the full Senate.

Filed under: Inauguration

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the Biden's nor Obama'a are smiling anymore?
    Was commenting on that at the same time you were. There's definitely a more sad/stoic emotion feeling there right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    I suppose marching and risking your lives [as with others] by particpating in sit ins, boycotting, etc. was out of nothing in significance

pretty much.

I suppose allowing government spying on the leader of the movement was a positive civil rights action. I suppose working with McCarthy on the HUAC was a positive civil rights action. I'm sure you don't know what that is, since you've posted that as of two days ago you were unaware that Biden had run for president and had to withdraw from the race, but you can google it and find out. Then talk to me about what a champion of civil rights RFK is. I didn't write the history of his life, he did.

RFK did a little bit late in his life for civil rights....but only after spending years trampling them.......he's hardly MLK. or Lincoln. or even LBJ.

Now on a day like today, I recognize the historical significance of what came before....but to include people that have done little for the cause, and to exclude people that did much more is something I find ironic.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    Was commenting on that at the same time you were. There's definitely a more sad/stoic emotion feeling there right now.
    Buyers remorse! haha

Like what the hell have we done??

Nah, this is no more over the top than any other inauguration I have actually taken the time to watch. I the last one I made a point to watch was Clintons and even that wasn't a big thing with me.

The Media, as usual, will beat this thing 20 ways to China and back and make some shit outta nothing.....as usual. Gotta have drama and controversy.

this is why super old ppl shouldn't have their drivers licenses or be in political offices.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I suppose allowing government spying on the leader of the movement was a positive civil rights action. I suppose working with McCarthy on the HUAC was a positive civil rights action.

I'm sure you don't know what that is, as of two days ago you were unaware that Biden had run for president and had to withdraw from the race, but you can google it and find out. Then talk to me about what a champion of civil rights RFK is. I didn't write the history of his life, he did.

RFK did a little bit late in his life for civil rights....but only after spending years trampling them.......he's hardly MLK. or Lincoln. or even LBJ.

Now on a day like today, I recognize the historical significance of what came before....but to include people that have done little for the cause, and to exclude people that did much more is something I find ironic.
    Ok, but why are you bringing it up now. Why did you come into this thread and basically try to ruin everyone's mood with half truths!!
    The illegal surveillance of King by the FBI lasted for years and covered three different phases authorized variously by J. Edgar Hoover, Robert Kennedy, and William Sullivan. Hoover first ordered the wiretaps and hidden microphones on King in the late 1950's before COINTELPRO was officially implemented under the rationale that Communist influences had to be rooted out. Robert Kennedy ordered the second round of secret monitoring in the early 60's to keep tabs on the civil rights movement. Sullivan ordered more surveillance in the mid-60's on his own initiative to obtain political intelligence. The hidden world of FBI dirty secrets is occasionally revealed in oft-redacted confidential COINTELPRO memos that have emerged piecemeal through Freedom of Information requests and litigation.

After King's "I Have A Dream" speech at the March on Washington an indignant Sullivan wrote to Hoover the speech was "demagogic" and that "We must mark [King] now, if we have not done so before, as the most dangerous Negro of the future in this Nation." Sullivan cautioned, "t may be unrealistic to limit ourselves as we have been doing to legalistic proofs or definitely conclusive evidence that would stand up in testimony in court or before Congressional Committees."

As events progressed Sullivan kept up his drumbeat to Hoover calling King, "the most dangerous and effective Negro leader in the country" while "we are right now in this nation engaged in a form of social revolution."
    FBI agents that spied on MLK ran COINTELPRO operation against 'Omaha Two'
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

They aren't smiling now because they are worried about Kennedy.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Well hell, I have been at work all day, and we can't use the internet except at lunch or breaks, so I had to listen to it on the radio.

Thank God for DVR so I can relive it tonight.

My friend in Maryland called me from D.C. this morning, and just hearing the crowd around her gave me goosebumps.

She was so excited, she brought two cameras, in case something happened to one of them.

This is just a glorious day. I know the problems of the U.S. won't be solved overnight, but we are headed in the right direction.

I am now just curious to see what Michelle Obama wears to the ball.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Thread Information