Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Illegal immigrant has life savings confiscated by US government

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah like all the employers he had who disregarded that fact too SB.

and true; you dont want to buy in mex. but just rent! why would a retiree want to buy anyways, you want to be free as a bird at that point

You know, my husband and I have had to deal with illegals now that we've started having employees. And you know what? Every one of them has a social security card and driver's license and a couple even have green cards, with their names on them, yet they don't speak a word of English. Those are the ones we don't hire. I am dreading the end of the year to see if we get 'no match' letters, and then we'll have to let people go only to start the whole process over.

Sometimes it's not the employers fault. Sometimes illegals lie. Sometimes they need to be held responsible for their own actions instead of pointing the finger every where else and saying "but what about what they're doing?"

I have a very hard time feeling sorry for this guy. Although I think they should take whatever he owes in fines and give the rest back. And he should be deported. And the employers who paid him under the table should be fined accordingly.

But neither action excuses or justifies the other.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

i felt extremely sad for him; i think its disgusting. but the problems are much more deeper than that. the US needs to start w/ the Mexican govt. and then work their way down. the problem starts w/ that govt. and i doubt they'll ever be addressed. (even though I know this guy is guatemalan, im just mentioning the mex. govt. b/c they are so dirty and corrupt)

I say calculate how much he owes in taxes and then deport his ass with the rest. That's fair.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    Wow, Marisol. Good observation. ILLEGAL immigrants should not have ANY "options" when dealing with the government that they're intentionally screwing over. Yes, your avenues are cut when you're doing something ILLEGAL. I'm tired of people waltzing into this country with the attitude that the rules don't apply to them and then expecting the government that they've been cheating to protect them when they get caught. If you are here illegally, you don't have ANY rights.

Too many people seem to disregard the word "illegal."

He came here to take advantage of our system and of the tax paying citizens of this country, and the US government isn't going to let his happy ass get away with it. Good for them. He tried to fuck over the government, he got caught, and now the government is going to fuck him over. That's how it works when you choose not to play by the rules.

We have rules and regulations in this country and it's not fair to the people who follow them for the government to reward the people who don't.

Pedro is lucky that he's only being deported. If he were a citizen, he'd probably be on the way to jail for tax evasion.
    If tax evasion laws were being enforced with the same zeal on rich Republicans as they are on the poor and middle class, there would be a helluva lot more people in jail. Have a heart.

People turn a blind eye to illegal immigrants when they are making obscene profits from their low-paid labour, but get outraged when they think they are taking advantage of the system. The US couldn't function without the cheap labour of immigrants, illegal or otherwise. This is hypocrisy at its finest. It's OK for the rich to get richer on the backs of the poor, but heaven forbid that any advantage should ever be extended the other way. Yeah, I guess that's the "compassionate" conservatism Bush is so found of spouting on about.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I say calculate how much he owes in taxes and then deport his ass with the rest. That's fair.
    yeah you could, but i already did several posts back!

Not only was he not paying taxes and didn't try to learn the language for eleven years, he was staying over here while not contributing anything to our economy, because all he wanted to do was take it back home with him. I'm sure while he was here he had access at least once to free medical care. Illegals have better rights than American citizens for the most part. Its disgusting. And whoever hired him should be fined accordingly.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I'm sure while he was here he had access at least once to free medical care. Illegals have better rights than American citizens for the most part. Its disgusting. And whoever hired him should be fined accordingly.
    ITA, it's so maddening.

So some of you are saying that you'd rather be an uneducated illegal from a poor country than a citizen of the United States since they have it so much better off than you? I guess you'll be running down to take his spot as a dishwasher since it's such a great, easy life with so many perks.

I felt kind of bad for him....but I didn't think of the tax thing, so am probably wrong

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    So some of you are saying that you'd rather be an uneducated illegal from a poor country than a citizen of the United States since they have it so much better off than you? I guess you'll be running down to take his spot as a dishwasher since it's such a great, easy life with so many perks.
    This is such a complex issue, obviously. It's maddening when illegals use up resources without contributing to society. In that sense, I guess I'm not a complete liberal because I don't like it when hard-working, tax-paying citizens get denied much-needed benefits while others get them almost with trying. (I've been there.)

We don't know if he ever received any free medical care, but I believe that it's highly likely. Obviously, I wouldn't want him denied medical care, I just want him contributing to the system. That's how it is supposed to work.

As for the employer issue, that's so complex that I don't want to get into it here. We're so deep into the dependency upon illegals to do our grunt work... the entire issue will be debated for decades to come. Without resolution, IMO.

Being a liberal does not mean you're a sucker for mooches and deadbeats. Earn your fucking keep and play by the rules and we can be kind.

Be a drain and watch us kick your ass from here to hell and back for taking advantage of our generosity.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^I know. I'm being a little bit naughty. But Mira is right, our capitalist economy depends on taking advantage of somebody at the bottom of the heap. Can't really blame them for taking advantage of the system in reverse.

Hit By Ban Bus!

True, Grimm.

you know taxes are taken out of their paychecks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information