Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Idaho schoolkids chant 'Assassinate Obama' on school bus

There's a group on facebook are asking for the impeachment of Obama? They must be 12 because you can't impeach someone who hasn't taken office yet

Oh yeah, and for what?

Bob Cesca: What Doesn't Kill The Far-Right Only Makes Them Crazier

Hit By Ban Bus!

I have to edit this because I just saw the Jennifer Aniston thread and holy crap. King I'm purely having a theoretical discussion with you. I ain't slamming you. I even voted for you as a hottie! I did I swear!!

I thought a bit about what I posted before and I think I want to clarify something.

If I understand King correctly, and others, is that its upsetting especially that Obama is being targeted for race. And I totally get that. I have never discounted that as an issue. However what I'm not understanding is why King and others seem to suggest that its not the same thing to want to assassinate a president due to policy or religion or just plain hatred.

What I'm seeing that's most especially unnerving about race, is not that race is the issue per se, but that others seem to think this is a valid reason for wanting to kill the president. The idea that a bunch of people sitting around would think this "makes sense" to them because of this.

But what I'm pointing out to others is that I've seen in kings statements the same sort of "validation." In kings statement its ok to want to kill a president because of policy. Because wanting to kill the president because of bad policy is a valid reason. How else are we to interpret the difference he sees that I don't.

In my opinion what is disturbing is the "validation" as I said that reason X is OK for wanting to kill the president. We're all shocked when its about race.

However as witchcurl posted and was conveniently ignored, the idea of killing Bush for policy would be treated with cheers by some of the people. And as witchcurl also pointed out, we tend to expect that a racist wanting to kill the president is a backwards uneducated low class pig. However among the elite and sophisticated its perfectly acceptable to discuss wanting to kill Bush.

So where do you draw the line? For me, anyone talking about killing the president has already crossed the line, we're simply haggling over what we consider valid reasons.

It reminds me of this poem

Als die Nazis die Kommunisten holten,
    habe ich geschwiegen;
    ich war ja kein Kommunist. Als sie die Sozialdemokraten einsperrten,
    habe ich geschwiegen;
    ich war ja kein Sozialdemokrat.
    Als sie die Gewerkschafter holten,
    habe ich nicht protestiert;
    ich war ja kein Gewerkschafter.
    Als sie die Juden holten,
    habe ich geschwiegen;
    ich war ja kein Jude.
    Als sie mich holten,
    gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.

When the Nazis came for the communists,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a communist. When they locked up the social democrats,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a social democrat.
    When they came for the trade unionists,
    I did not speak out;
    I was not a trade unionist.
    When they came for the Jews,
    I remained silent;
    I was not a Jew.
    When they came for me,
    there was no one left to speak out.
    Last edited by flipstick; November 14th, 2008 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Because Kingcap is a god and I don't want to get my ass banned!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Is this the same place as 'Bridges of Madison County'? If so, send Clint in to kick some ass.
    No, "Bridges" is set in Iowa, not Idaho.

It's sad that in the year 2008 people are so ignorant and so much hate for someone they don't know just because they are different.
    Am I surprised Obama is facing more threats just because of his race? No. I also think if Hillary Clinton had been elected instead, she would be facing something similar. Probably not quite as bad, but close.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexxifer View Post
    No, "Bridges" is set in Iowa, not Idaho.

It's sad that in the year 2008 people are so ignorant and so much hate for someone they don't know just because they are different.
    Am I surprised Obama is facing more threats just because of his race? No. I also think if Hillary Clinton had been elected instead, she would be facing something similar. Probably not quite as bad, but close.
    Are you kidding? She would have had a long line,forming to the right-far right!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by flipstick View Post
    I have to edit this because I just saw the Jennifer Aniston thread and holy crap. King I'm purely having a theoretical discussion with you. I ain't slamming you. I even voted for you as a hottie! I did I swear!!

I thought a bit about what I posted before and I think I want to clarify something.

If I understand King correctly, and others, is that its upsetting especially that Obama is being targeted for race. And I totally get that. I have never discounted that as an issue. However what I'm not understanding is why King and others seem to suggest that its not the same thing to want to assassinate a president due to policy or religion or just plain hatred.

What I'm seeing that's most especially unnerving about race, is not that race is the issue per se, but that others seem to think this is a valid reason for wanting to kill the president. The idea that a bunch of people sitting around would think this "makes sense" to them because of this.

But what I'm pointing out to others is that I've seen in kings statements the same sort of "validation." In kings statement its ok to want to kill a president because of policy. Because wanting to kill the president because of bad policy is a valid reason. How else are we to interpret the difference he sees that I don't.

In my opinion what is disturbing is the "validation" as I said that reason X is OK for wanting to kill the president. We're all shocked when its about race.

However as witchcurl posted and was conveniently ignored, the idea of killing Bush for policy would be treated with cheers by some of the people. And as witchcurl also pointed out, we tend to expect that a racist wanting to kill the president is a backwards uneducated low class pig. However among the elite and sophisticated its perfectly acceptable to discuss wanting to kill Bush.

So where do you draw the line? For me, anyone talking about killing the president has already crossed the line, we're simply haggling over what we consider valid reasons.

It reminds me of this poem
    Oh..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    Oh..
    Adios,Flipstick-we hardly knew you. Or maybe we did.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Are you kidding? She would have had a long line,forming to the right-far right!
    Well, she may have more because of her policies, but I think that Obama probably has more "enemies" for no reason. Just my opinion.

Obama and Clinton had very similar policies... the fact that she would have received threats has to do with the fact that she's not the norm for a politician either.

Elite Member

So the kids are Mormons? That baffles me, I know they might not have the same views as me but they aren't violent that's just weird!

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    ^ That we know of.

Point is, something like this will always be said about someone in office.
    It's nothing new and shocking, just because it's Obama.
    Is it sad, yes, but life is fucked up.
    Come on. Trying to say that this has been said about Bush by children on a bus is really stretching it. I doubt that it ever happened with kids. Some kids probably repeated what mom and dad said, that they "hated Bush" wished "Bush was dead". I don't think they have gone around chanting "assasinate Bush"
    Last edited by nana55; November 16th, 2008 at 12:56 PM.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55 View Post
    Come on. Trying to say that this has been said about Bush by children on a bus is really stretching it. I doubt that it ever happened with kids. Some kids probably repeated what mom and dad said, that they "hated Bush" wished "Bush was dead". I don't think they have gone around chanting "assasinate Bush"
    Did I say it was said about Bush? Um, no. I said it has been said about many a President. Learn to comprehend posts, then maybe you won't have to try to argue about everyone I make.
    Goodbye.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I haven't heard any stories about schoolkids chanting 'assassinate X' about any president elect prior to this. Parents? Probably some pretty rotten stuff out there but not from kids. It's fucked up six ways to Tuesday, no way around it.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

Exactly, this is the first time I've ever heard something so nasty by a group of children. Good Christian children at that. We still have a long way to go.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I'm not sure I agree these would be considered 'good' Christian children but yeah, it's one of hte more fucked up things I've ever heard about.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

No wonder,with the Catholic Church going all out stirring up hate over the abortion thing. I don't recall any pro-choice people going ape shite over Bush.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information