Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I make $6.50 an hour. Am I poor?

Quote Originally Posted by greeneyedbeauty View Post
    Does someone that can't afford to eat really need internet and dogs that she has to feed?
    So she should kill her dogs and have no means of connection with the outside world at all? Strange idea, but punishing those who are down on their luck seems to be a favourite thing for people who've never experienced hardship to do. Perhaps both of those things give her a reason to live in hope.

I suspect that prices where this woman lives are a whole lot less than southern California, which is one of the most expensive places in the U.S. Just like they are a lot lower in Saskatchewan than B.C., where I live.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    So she should kill her dogs and have no means of connection with the outside world at all? Strange idea, but punishing those who are down on their luck seems to be a favourite thing for people who've never experienced hardship to do. Perhaps both of those things give her a reason to live in hope.

I suspect that prices where this woman lives are a whole lot less than southern California, which is one of the most expensive places in the U.S. Just like they are a lot lower in Saskatchewan than B.C., where I live.
    I agree...what is she going to do, just dump the dogs and leave them to die? Hell, poor woman needs something to do. I'm sure the dogs do give her a reason to carry on.

There is a homeless man that lives near me. He used to train dogs for a living. I knew him way back and used to see him at the dog park. I've never reminded him that I knew him back then, but we've had some conversations about how he ended up homeless. He was in a car accident and was injured. He had to go through some physical therapy and wasn't able to train dogs anymore. One thing lead to another, he lost his home and didn't even have a car to live in. There he sits, on the street. He has his dog with him everyday. He tells me that is the only thing that keeps him going. He goes to the YMCA every other day to shower and shave and the girl at the vet down the street watches his dog for him while he does. He's waiting to get his settlement from the insurance company so he can buy a car to sleep in, that way he can go to and from job interviews and still shower and shave at the Y. He's trying to work out something with the vet's office to help him with the dog while he's at work. That's all he's got.

It is so easy to judge. I always remember this blind man with a dog I used to see in New York when I travelled there a lot on business. He carried a sign that said, "There but for the grace of God go I." It certainly puts things in perspective.

A lot of people say the homeless just use pets to get money. Well, maybe some of them do. But for far more, their pets are the only love they get, and their pets always eat better than they do. Why do we think that because someone is homeless they are "lesser" or somehow not the same as most of us?

I know, I always see homeless people with dogs the. i think give the dog a home. But how are the dogs properly fed and checked if their homeless too

My mother's on disability & is always short on money, but I don't think she'd want to live if she didn't have animals to care for.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    My mother's on disability & is always short on money, but I don't think she'd want to live if she didn't have animals to care for.
    Awww, bless her heart

Before my grandmother passed away, she had a friend that needed to go to an assisted living facility. She made sure to go to the one that allowed the residents to bring a pet because she said her cat kept her alive. The facility even had it's own pets.

My friends grandmother is in a home that has Canine Good Citizen visitors weekly. She said that this is the one day that all of the residents that are physically able to get up and get out of their rooms, do so. The nurses and caretakes said that the dogs have made such a difference in the quality of life for each person there

Up until recently, I know in my case if I ended up in a situation like that, I'd be homeless pretty darn quick. As PB states, housing here is ridiculously expensive. If I had lost my job and couldn't get another, it would take exactly one month for me to be living in my car. If you don't have any parents, you can't fall back on them for help, either.

I definitely make good money now, but everything is spoken for, and I don't exactly live a grand lifestyle. Now that I'm getting married (hence the "up until recently"), I'll have the support of my future husband and his family if anything were to happen to us, which you cannot even imagine how much of a relief that is.

I used to lose sleep at night worrying about what I would do if anything happened job-wise. I don't know if anyone else here lives that close to the edge in terms of savings and stuff, but I can totally relate to this lady.

Whenever I've had friends give me things like a bottle of shampoo or conditioner because they didn't like it, I've saved it because I've known there will a time when I will need some and won't have the cash. And then I've used it at exactly those times

Along the lines of homeless/poor with pets...I worked in a pawn shop a few years ago, and a man tried to pawn a really cheap tent. The store owner was not interested, but I did buy it for twenty bucks. Hubby said it didn't cost that new, and I told him the only reason I did was because the man had a dog, and the thought of that dog going hungry bothered me more than the man going hungry. I am sure that dog meant a great deal to the man and vice versa.
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

A*O

This lady is comparatively 'lucky' in that she at least has a roof over her head and she's also physically capable of working, albeit on minimum wage. Using half her income to pay the mortgage sucks but you'll probably find most people spend close to that only on a larger scale. The most worrying aspect of this thought-provoking story is that she's 52 and staring down the barrel of retirement and probable health issues with absolutely no 'safety net' in place. I admire her spirit and ability to see the positives in her situation but you have to wonder what the future holds for her and others like her.

Slightly OT but I read a shocking statistic the other day. The AVERAGE pension which Australians rely on to fund their retirement, living costs, health care, housing, etc etc is $95,000 (US$74,900) and interest rates are around 6% so remembering that people are living longer that's not very much to stretch over 20 years or so is it.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Wow $6.50 is only 3.31!
    I think our minimum wage is around 5.50 which is still only just under $11.

I think she did say that she had a 401k that she would not touch until retirement, so maybe that will help her.
    We aren't quite so bad off, but at my job, I have no 401k and need to find a way to start investing so that I will not be broke when I get to retire. Once I get these $5000 in hospital bills paid down or off-I plan to start that...
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Quote Originally Posted by greeneyedbeauty View Post
    Does someone that can't afford to eat really need internet and dogs that she has to feed?
    That is tied up with the phone service..and let me tell you if you want to find a BETTER job you better have internet access..you have to fill out the apps. online..and she is in Montana so she may also need it because of the isolation and lack on free online places like libraries.

And what is she supposed to do about her pets? just throw them out and let them fend for themselves? GEEZE!!! Green eyes and a black cold heart apparently.
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    That is tied up with the phone service..and let me tell you if you want to find a BETTER job you better have internet access..you have to fill out the apps. online..and she is in Montana so she may also need it because of the isolation and lack on free online places like libraries.

And what is she supposed to do about her pets? just throw them out and let them fend for themselves? GEEZE!!! Green eyes and a black cold heart apparently.

That is so true I just realized how much of my life I conduct on the internet (shudders). It is much more than entertainment, it is a job search tool, networking tool, educational tool, support group tool, etc. etc. etc. It does all of that and more with such speed and efficiency, and with such global access, that I cannot imagine life without it.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetrebel View Post
    I think she did say that she had a 401k that she would not touch until retirement, so maybe that will help her.
    We aren't quite so bad off, but at my job, I have no 401k and need to find a way to start investing so that I will not be broke when I get to retire. Once I get these $5000 in hospital bills paid down or off-I plan to start that...
    Start now. I have a lot of debt as well, and no 401k or retirement options at my job. I started a Roth IRA last year and every week SOMETHING goes into it. I too didn't think I could start it until I had certain bills paid off, and I go without in order to put money into the Roth. However, the earlier you start, the better, and each year that passes, the less you will earn with interest in the long run. The credit card companies and banks make billions with a little trick called 'compounded interest', and a Roth (or traditional, I prefer Roth because it is tax-deferred) will do the same to really help you make a little nest egg for retirement. I thought about starting one for 5 years...really glad I finally bit the bullet. Really wish I would have acted 5 years ago...but I go from here.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
    Start now. I have a lot of debt as well, and no 401k or retirement options at my job. I started a Roth IRA last year and every week SOMETHING goes into it. I too didn't think I could start it until I had certain bills paid off, and I go without in order to put money into the Roth. However, the earlier you start, the better, and each year that passes, the less you will earn with interest in the long run. The credit card companies and banks make billions with a little trick called 'compounded interest', and a Roth (or traditional, I prefer Roth because it is tax-deferred) will do the same to really help you make a little nest egg for retirement. I thought about starting one for 5 years...really glad I finally bit the bullet. Really wish I would have acted 5 years ago...but I go from here.
    I started doing the same ten years ago with a little nest egg of a few hundred bucks in the stock market. I salt away all extra money into my portfolio and it's now quite a large sum. My retirement is pretty well covered and all from laying aside small amounts as a habit when I wasn't making much money. Now almost all my income from my various jobs goes straight into the portfolio.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information