Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How the ultimate BP Gulf disaster could kill millions

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    ... Yay canada!

you won't be saying that once it hits the gulf stream and travels up your way.

no one is doing anything, just waiting for BP to put money in their hands.. what a cluster F.

and the BBC is reporting "no worries stock prices haven't fallen as much as first thought"

This is terrifying.

but ... but... it's ONLY an oil spill...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Even if the methane bubble doesn't blow, that area is hosed. BP is not doing anything to stop the gusher, and they are getting away with it. Since they already stated it would take approx. 4 years for that particular well to run out of oil, I bet they are just going to fuck around until it stops by itself.

SVZ

I'm more worried about it hitting the gulf stream, because you know..then everything dies

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    I'm more worried about it hitting the gulf stream, because you know..then everything dies

Will it become something more than just an oil spill THEN?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

Jesus H. Christ on oil-soaked toast and a methane Cosmopolitan. Don't fuck with Mother Earth.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Too late... it's about time she strikes back.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

I'm feeling some real sympathy for those of you living along the Gulf coast. Why was this disaster allowed to spiral even further out of control??? I can only imagine the frustration felt by the state and local gov't who are being blocked from protecting their constituents by the Feds.

The federal gov't is being even more useless than usual on this one. You would think with the billions we spend on all our "regulating" agencies that at least one of them would have their shit together enough to accomplish something, but it's the same as always with all the in-fighting, confusion and wasted time. It's long past time for our elected officials to stop worrying about the next election and start actually working on policies that matter to the country. And that includes fixing some of these fucked up regulatory agencies.

Even my die-hard extremely conservative father has cried over the destruction this spill and the lack of any coherent response to it has caused.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by zillah. View Post

The federal gov't is being even more useless than usual on this one. You would think with the billions we spend on all our "regulating" agencies that at least one of them would have their shit together enough to accomplish something, but it's the same as always with all the in-fighting, confusion and wasted time.
    We reap what we sew.

FEMA used to be an excellent agency. Most of our emergency responders were. But after 8 years of Bush, and a public that falls for the rhetoric of Rush, those agencies are now dissolved.

Have you supported the Federal Government at all over the last decade, or just the military?

First people want the Feds out of their lives and elect idiots in office who make government more incompetent so you don't expect much.

NOW people suddenly want efficiency and power out of the Feds? After years of screaming for deregulation (so the fat cats can get fatter), the people in the USA are NOW crying for a good federal response?

Tough!

This is what we get for being stupid. You want less government oversight for those sexy corporations? You want to Drill Baby, DRILL! without your taxes paying for any regulation and safety inspections? This is your reward.

The US needs to swallow this bitter pill and start taking responsibility for some horrible decisions.

WE fucked up. Not Obama, not even BP, not even Bush and Cheney's terrible energy policies since we batted our collective eye lashes and opened our legs to be royally screwed by them WILLINGLY.

This is OUR disaster.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

We reap what we sew.
    I knew there was a reason I stopped sewing.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    I knew there was a reason I stopped sewing.
    !!
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Umm, I think Obama and BP fucked up pretty bad. I don't care what was or wasn't in play when Obama was elected. Shit could've gotten done almost immediately, and both BP and Obama took every fucking wrong turn. So no, let's not point fingers at ourselves when there are plenty of people to point at instead. Jesus christ.
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

After reading this thread and the concern that the article raised, I thought I would post an article I came across at the OpEdNews.com site:
    There's been a viral message spreading over the web that there's a life and earth threatening methane bubble in the gulf, caused by the gushing well, which will explode and even cause an earthquake and a real volcano, in some versions of the story. Some accuse Obama of hiding nefarious goings on.

Things are bad enough in the gulf. There's a real, genuine disaster of historic proportions. We don't need new tin-foil hat conspiracy theories.

I suspected the veracity of this report, only found on obscure websites and youtube videos. I checked with some experts who have proven to have provided reliable information on the well disaster in the past. The uniform response has been that this methane bubble story is urban legend nonsense. So let's nip it in the bud with some reality.

Yes there is a lot of methane gas. That doesn't mean there's a giant bubble waiting to explode and set off an earthquake or volcanic eruption. It DOES mean that huge amounts of methane are in the water and entering the atmosphere. And methane causes 20 to 70 times the greenhouse gas effect that CO2 does, according to wikipedia. Also, methane decreases Oxygen in the water, making it harder for life in the ocean to survive. Add to that the oil eating bacteria using up oxygen and the risk for dead zones increase. This is serious stuff, but not at all validating the methane bubble narrative.

I have already reported that the situation with the well is very bad-- that probably, a gas explosion, possibly methane, in the well, caused damage up and down the well, possibly breaking the casing, causing leaks throughout the well. That is believed to be the reason the "top kill" failed. Mud was coming out from multiple leak locations. It is also the reason that the relief wells, being drilled so that a "bottom kill" can be attempted-- again, injecting mud into the well to seal it-- will not work because of breaks in the casing.

Part of the reason there are breaks in the casing is because BP chose to use the cheaper option for casing, saving a few million dollars. Then they skimped on spacers used in well sealing process that Haliburton was contracted to do. Haliburton accepted this sub-standard situation and did the work anyway. That added to the risk that the well was never sealed properly to begin with. We don't know all the facts because the mudlogs have not been released which would tell us details.

We do know that weeks before the explosion that sank the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig, a worker reporter that there was a hydraulic leak in the BOP that was the safety device that was supposed to close the well in the case of an emergency. The hydraulic fluid was needed to enable the BOP to cut through the well pipe and seal it. Apparently BP failed to address the problem.

First, here's the response I received from my anonymous (I do know who it is but am protecting his job) source in BP:

Here's what I asked him: "There's talk that there's a giant methane gas bubble waiting to explode and start a volcano and earthquakes in the gulf. What's your take? " He replied:
    There is no 'cavern' under the Gulf. How are caverns formed? By water dissolving limestone. Over a huge period of time. Above water. I don't know the geology of the oil-bearing rock, but if it were limestone, those drills would be progressing a whole lot faster. Also, if you drill into the top of a cavern, then it is IMPOSSIBLE to cement a well. Remember how that's done? They shoot cement out the bottom and it flows up between the wall and the outside of the well casing. A cavern would mean that there was no wall.

There is no huge gas volcano ready to come forth. It's true that this well is 40% gas by volume, and that the average is 5%, but that's just more doomsday crap from conspiracy nuts.

While the reservoir is around 400-450F, and 13,000 psi, there's no 'bubble', unless you consider an entire underground geology to be a bubble. The thing is permeable rock, not a cavern.

At most, with a huge hole in the ground, it could probably flow 600K bbl/day - but no volcano.

And - if by 'explode', you meant 'ignite', then I'd ask where the ignition source is? Even if it started flowing at the max, no fire on the surface is going to traverse to the bottom; fire requires oxygen.

Earthquakes - if the well opened up 100%, then - eventually, some of the structure might collapse and cause an minor earthquake - but that's doubtful. Generally, as you pump, the land subsides - a very quiet event. Earthquakes happen when drillers inject hot water or whatever to crack the rock and bring oil or gas out more quickly, and then that's only because natural faults get lubricated. Denver had a bunch of these in the 70's (I was there for them). No big deal.

Much ado about nothing, really."

I also asked geologist Chris Landau, who has experience with drilling. He replied,
    As far as the bubble is concerned. I say no. If I am wrong, all I can say is I learnt something. Is it not good to be wrong at least once per day. My reasoning follows.

Two links you might want to save to get quick details on how deep the next earthquake is that makes the news and how strong it is. We have a 7 on the richter scale, somewhere in the world every 10 days.

1961 earthquakes of 2.5 on the richter scale or greater in the last week around the USA, Alaska,Hawaii, Puerto Rico. None in the Gulf. See interactive map from the United States Geological Survey site

417 eartquakes around the world at 4.5 on the Richter scale or greater in the last week, each one's depth documented.and where it occurred. None in the Gulf. See here

I would like to see some tremors taking place under the gulf for me to say I think it is a possibility. I see none. Anything is possible. I do not believe it at this stage. The gulf also has no visible fault lines on a global scale, like those that run across Haiti and Cuba and central america. Now that is massive and Cuba or the Dominican Republic are probably going to be hit next. See google maps

If you have not already looked at a bathymetry map, just go to google maps, not google earth, pick a city in the world, click on the satellite viewing mode and pan out until you see the monster faults and fractures that cover our world,, under its oceans some as long as ten thousand miles in the South Pacific. They make the San Andreas look like a "dinky toy." They are the physical evidence for the continual moving tectonic plates and for comtinental drift. Nobody can deny them. They are like Mt. Everest.

I do not go for the giant bubble or the volcanic activity. It is not an active plate tectonic zone. There is no evidence.

If you look at the two link on eartquakes around the world, say once per week, you do not even need a bathmetry map, the earthquake fault lines are being traced out by the thousands of earth tremors every week that never make the news because they are in isolated areas.

So there you have it, from experts. Yes. There's a lot of methane. It's bad news. But no giant bubble, no earthquakes, no threat of volcanic activity.

As Michael Douglas said in the movie, American President, "We have serious problems to solve, and we need serious people to solve them." We don't need to go down the urban legend, conspiracy theory road when it comes to the horror and depth of this disaster. We do need dynamic, profoundly strong, wise leadership, not management by committee, or management by state level special interest, or corporate interest.

Like the time after 911, when all the world pulled together, President Obama has an opportunity to bring the world together, to find big picture ways to work on short and long term solutions. That's what we need, That's where we need to keep our focus.
    Methane Bubble Earthquake Volcano in the Gulf?
    Rob Kall -- OpEdNews
    ...feed me now!

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    NOW people suddenly want efficiency and power out of the Feds? After years of screaming for deregulation (so the fat cats can get fatter), the people in the USA are NOW crying for a good federal response?

Tough!

This is what we get for being stupid. You want less government oversight for those sexy corporations? You want to Drill Baby, DRILL! without your taxes paying for any regulation and safety inspections? This is your reward.

WE fucked up. Not Obama, not even BP, not even Bush and Cheney's terrible energy policies since we batted our collective eye lashes and opened our legs to be royally screwed by them WILLINGLY.

This is OUR disaster.
    Oh there are plenty of people to blame for this, but the biggest ones are BP (and their subcontractors) as well as the Mineral Management Service. It is documented that BP chose to build a substandard well in order to save money and to try to meet deadlines, despite being warned several times of the possible dangers. BP seems to have a reputation for being cheap when building their wells and this spill is a consequence of that. Hell, their cheapness even extended to their cleanup efforts. (Shoddy Work, Shabby Excuses | Commonweal magazine)

Many of our regulating agencies are corrupt, and I highly doubt that more taxpayer funding will fix that. Besides, what's the point of regulation when the corporations just go through the backdoor and get themselves exempted from inspection? We need consistent reviews of procedures and performance in all of our regulatory agencies, not just when disaster strikes. The MMS had guidelines to follow when inspecting wells but they chose to spend their time doing other things: (Flashback to 2008 MMS sex-for-oil scandal « Climate Progress).

And yes, I do think that Obama has handled this terribly and should be held accountable - first he ignored it and hoped that it would be "taken care of" by others so he wouldn't have to take a stand or detract attention from his crappy policy agendas. Then finally more than a month into it, when the epic nature of this spill couldn't be denied, he changed it up, throwing as much blame at BP as possible, anything to deflect blame from himself. Let's face it, if this had happened under GW Bush's watch, he would have been pounced on immediately. Why should Obama be given a break on it? While campaigning, he said he would work on energy policy, but more than a year in office and the MMS was still not up to it's task (Obama’s Campaign Promises on Energy, versus Reality « FUTURISM NOW). People assumed that Obama would step up to the plate on an important environmental issue like this, and have been bitterly disappointed at his lax response.

I agree with you on one thing: it is our fault for electing these fake, incompetent, corrupt, ego-maniacs every time. And that goes for Democrats just as much as Republicans. I'm beginning to wonder if any decent people even run for office any more... Certainly the Presidents of my lifetime have left much to be desired. I couldn't care less about a candidate's religion, sexual orientation, past pot smoking, marital infidelities, etc - just give me someone who will actually get shit done that they promised instead of worrying about their next campaign, round of golf, or blow job. Even if I disagree with their policy, I would be happy just to have politicians be honest about what their agenda is and do what they said they were going to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information