Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to tick off an ally, US to vote on Armenian genocide

Hit By Ban Bus!

my remark was insensitive because I know the Chinese are still upset that the Japanese won't admit to their war crimes and I side with the Chinese. We often hear about the German Mengele but rarely the Japanese Ishi who was just as bad towards the Chinese and their allies.

I should write a book - All I know about Turkey I learned from a soap opera (Asi&Demir ) that started with a Brian Adams song on youtube.com aka the worlds shortest book. ---oh dear I went to youtube and I just found the last episode in English sub titles. I'm hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    my remark was insensitive because I know the Chinese are still upset that the Japanese won't admit to their war crimes and I side with the Chinese. We often hear about the German Mengele but rarely the Japanese Ishi who was just as bad towards the Chinese and their allies.

I should write a book - All I know about Turkey I learned from a soap opera (Asi&Demir ) that started with a Brian Adams song on youtube.com aka the worlds shortest book. ---oh dear I went to youtube and I just found the last episode in English sub titles. I'm hopeless.
    Actually there have been multiple acknowledgements and apologies from past Japanese prime ministers and governmental officials in regards to its treatment of Chinese both pre and during WW2. Comparatively better than Turkey's government. Not saying that right wing elements and others continue to engage in offensive behavior, but hardly unique to any nation.

^^^
    that's true. but the japanese still refuse to acknowledge they kidnapped korean women and used them as sexual slaves ('comfort women') for the japanese soldiers...
    that's been a major sticking point between the two countries for years.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Oh, surprise, surprise: same shit, different US President:

US administration to block vote on Turkey 'genocide'

The vote of the US sparked committee parked outrage in Turkey

The Obama administration has said it will seek to block a controversial bill describing as genocide the World War I killing of Armenians by Turks.

A congressional panel on Thursday approved the resolution, paving the way for a possible vote by the House.

But US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said the administration would "work very hard" to prevent this.

Turkey voiced strong protests after the vote and recalled its ambassador from Washington for consultations.

Clinton said the administration would seek to block the bill

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said his country had been accused of a crime it did not commit, adding the resolution would harm Turkish-US relations.

President Abdullah Gul said Turkey - a key Nato ally of the US - would "not be responsible for the negative results that this event may lead to".

Change of position

Mrs Clinton - who had urged the House Foreign Affairs Committee not to hold the vote - said on Friday: "We are against this decision. Now we believe that the US Congress will not take any decision on this subject."

MASS KILLINGS OF ARMENIANS
    An Armenian woman mourns a young boy during the Ottoman deportations of 1915
    Hundreds of thousands of ethnic Armenians killed by Ottoman Turks in 1915-6
    Many historians and the Armenian people believe the killings amount to genocide
    Turks and some historians deny they were orchestrated
    More than 20 countries regard the massacres as genocide

Media ask: What next for vote?
    Firm ties will survive genocide row
    Q&A: Armenian genocide dispute

The resolution - approved by 23 votes to 22 by the committee - calls on President Barack Obama to ensure that US foreign policy reflects an understanding of the "genocide" and to label the killings of Armenians as such.

A similar resolution was approved by the same committee two years ago, but did not go forward to the House after pressure from the George W Bush administration.

Turkey is a major partner in US efforts to stabilise Afghanistan and Iraq, and lies on a key route taking oil and natural gas to Western markets.

Ankara accepts that atrocities were committed but argues they were part of the war and that there was no systematic attempt to destroy Christian Armenians.

During his campaign for the 2008 election, Mr Obama promised to brand the mass killings genocide.

Mrs Clinton has acknowledged his administration's change of opinion on the issue, saying circumstances had "changed in very significant ways".

In October last year, Turkey and Armenia signed a historic accord normalising relations between them after a century of hostility.

Armenia wants Turkey to recognise the killings as an act of genocide, but successive Turkish governments have refused to do so.

Hundreds of thousands of Armenians died in 1915, when they were deported en masse from eastern Anatolia by the Ottoman Empire. They were killed by troops or died from starvation and disease.

Armenians have campaigned for the killings to be recognised internationally as genocide - and more than 20 countries have done so.
    BBC News - US administration to block vote on Turkey 'genocide'
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

During his campaign for the 2008 election, Mr Obama promised to brand the mass killings genocide.
    Got the US Armenian vote then screwed them over. Typical.

yeah he's really earning that nobel peace prize...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

So much hope and change i think i could be sick
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

President Fucktard strikes again
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

i'm not surprised though. after all, he's just another democratic president. i never bought into the whole 'change' thing (other than 'it's a change from the retard you elected, twice) and didn't think he'd be any different than any other democrat. it's always better than a republican but not by that much either.

the difference is marginal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information