Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: How feminism has hurt women.

Default Re: How feminism has hurt women.

OK, I slightly misdefined lesbian feminism. Lesbian feminists believe that heterosexuality, not men, are the root of all of society's problems. They also have a problem with the male dominated viewpoints of the society. I was slightly off, sorry. There were about 25 different branches of feminism I studied last semester and the textbooks are in storage for fall right now

Yeah, I've read up quite a bit on feminism, but I don't trust my knowledge enough to speak too definitively on it.
    2 years...

I took a sociology of gender class last semester that sort of breezed over all 25 forms (in 5 minutes or less per each type ). I'm taking the big feminist theory course next semester.

Lucky! I would love to study the history of feminism...I get very distracted unless I'm forced to sit in one place and listen, which is probably why I know a lot of facts about very random things.
    2 years...

Quote Originally Posted by NawdleZouss
    Lucky! I would love to study the history of feminism...I get very distracted unless I'm forced to sit in one place and listen, which is probably why I know a lot of facts about very random things.
    I love it. The best thing I did at college was declare my women's studies minor. I love every class I've taken and all the women (and men-gay and straight for both) in the department are some of the coolest, most fun people I've ever met.

Then they're in the wrong minor, some of the toughest classes I've taken were for my minor

It's VERY labor intensive with lots of research and lots of papers to write and one very tough professor who teaches 2 of the required courses and some of the elective courses (3 required courses everyone has to take, 3 electives you can choose).

I'll tell you in PM, public forum

Why do you love to start shit ^^ just block him if he gets to you that much....anyways what was the point of posting this articulate? To piss people off..why don't one of you guys go start a all gays will burn in hell thread..so we can be even with the feminism has hurt women bullshit. Now I am going to go back to cooking.
    Life will break you. Nobody can protect you from that, and living alone won't either, for solitude will also break you with its yearning. You have to love. You have to feel. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable.

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I haven't finished all the replies but I'm tired and need to put my two cents in. I was born in the 1950's and thought it was fabulous. I could hardly wait to grow up and be a mommy. Time went on and the 60's happened and I realized I might not want to be just a wife and mommy. So I marched in parades and helped make it O.K. for women to get out and have a great career. However the same time that happened, women who really wanted to be homemakers, to raise a great family and have a wonderful warm home, were considered stupid, lazy, deficent and many other names. My daughters now are married and both have college degrees and masters degrees. They have chosen to stay home with their children. My oldest until her kids are in school, my youngest forever I think. She even homeschools. They both have friends who are doctors and lawyers and feel so torn. They want to be home but can't just throw aways the years and the money they spent getting these great careers. So it is not always wonderful. There are always prices to pay for freedom. I also feel it is not necessary for every women to have children. If you want to work and not have a family you shouldn't be made to feel as if there is something wrong with you. We women never get the easy choices.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarsters
    Why do you love to start shit ^^ just block him if he gets to you that much....anyways what was the point of posting this articulate? To piss people off..why don't one of you guys go start a all gays will burn in hell thread..so we can be even with the feminism has hurt women bullshit. Now I am going to go back to cooking.
    It was just one poster who started posting anti-feminism articles, the rest of the banter is just done in jest.

Quote Originally Posted by nana55
    I haven't finished all the replies but I'm tired and need to put my two cents in. I was born in the 1950's and thought it was fabulous. I could hardly wait to grow up and be a mommy. Time went on and the 60's happened and I realized I might not want to be just a wife and mommy. So I marched in parades and helped make it O.K. for women to get out and have a great career. However the same time that happened, women who really wanted to be homemakers, to raise a great family and have a wonderful warm home, were considered stupid, lazy, deficent and many other names. My daughters now are married and both have college degrees and masters degrees. They have chosen to stay home with their children. My oldest until her kids are in school, my youngest forever I think. She even homeschools. They both have friends who are doctors and lawyers and feel so torn. They want to be home but can't just throw aways the years and the money they spent getting these great careers. So it is not always wonderful. There are always prices to pay for freedom. I also feel it is not necessary for every women to have children. If you want to work and not have a family you shouldn't be made to feel as if there is something wrong with you. We women never get the easy choices.
    I also have a university degree and am a housewife. I had some wonderful professors who were feminist, including gay and lesbian ones as well as straight ones. I did study some feminism and feminist literatures (but I didn't take specific courses unlike Noday) and I understand the shortcomings of feminism e.g. it sometimes paints women as victims of male oppression, but I greatly appreciate what feminism has done to us both male and female in general.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nana55

and I have to agree with you Nana. I think the great disservice that feminism has done to women is create this work/home split along with make it a okay for men to assume that it's normal for a woman to work a full time stressful job outside of the home yet still be expected to keep said home spotless, provide meals and laundry and do all the child rearing when she's not working. That's the big downside of feminism that's contributed significantly to the problems we have going on in our society.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to return to the pre-feminism times, I just want things to shift and be a bit more equal and there not to be this pressure. Feminism did do some positive things. Yes, there were big advances made in equal rights, jobs, etc, but at what price?

Quote Originally Posted by Mushy
    I believe that is a personal attack.
    I believe you're batshit too
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I can't even read through all this bullshit. I just find it very interesting that JungleMonkey is the one who initiated this thread and was also one of the main ones crying how evil abortion is on the other thread. Same person. Same thought process. Go figure.

I don't doubt that some women really hate that feminism has indirectly made their lives harder by providing more choices. Sure, it's much easier to choose between vanilla and chocolate rather than picking one out of 32 flavors. Surely there are some women who don't like that now they actually have some more responsibilities that come along with increased freedom of choice when they'd much rather just breathe and let some man dictate everything to them. Sucks to be them I guess.

I think the great disservice that feminism has done to women is create this work/home split along with make it a okay for men to assume that it's normal for a woman to work a full time stressful job outside of the home yet still be expected to keep said home spotless, provide meals and laundry and do all the child rearing when she's not working. That's the big downside of feminism that's contributed significantly to the problems we have going on in our society.

Gator, I really don't feel that feminism caused this. I really get tired of women demanding that the workplace be more equal and family friendly when they won't even demand that their own homes be equal and family friendly. For every man who sits on his ass while his working wife runs around like a chicken with her head cut off, there is a martyr of a woman who won't stand up to him and demand he do his share.

Yeah, now they actually have to forge their own identities rather than have a man determine their worth.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok
    I think someone's bitter they didn't get alimony from their divorce.
    I'm not divorced Grimm. I think abolishing alimony was one of the WORST and most harmful things towards women that could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia
    Then she's posting up a picture of someone else's kids....
    what are you talking about? i've never posted pictures of kids here.???

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread Information