Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How feminism has hurt women.

Default Re: How feminism has hurt women.

It's difficult to make accurate comparisons between the Before Feminism times and After Feminism times, because so much horrible crap used to be taboo to speak of, such as depression, suicide, murder of family members, child abuse in all forms, wife abuse in all forms...

It's nice to think of the 50's when women wore nice dresses & aprons & pearls, and had a lovely dinner for their sweet thoughtful husbands each night. They'd sit at the table with clean, well-behaved children and soak up the fulfillment in that stress-free environment.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies
    I think Trolli forgot to take her medication today. Really there was some speculation about this, I had the insider scoop a while ago...
    The JMonkey comparison is difficult to avoid.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Yeah, they're both batshit.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

For some reason the whole 'feminist' debate seems to focus these days on the working woman vs SHAM dilemma (and it IS a dilemma for many women, including me). The original premis of feminism was much broader, ie, that men and women should be treated equally not only in the workplace (although that is where some of the most blatant discrimination took/takes place) but also in society in general. In the last 30 years the role of women has changed from being the loyal wife and mother whose self-worth is judged on how clean she keeps her house, how well she cooks and how long she 'keeps' her husband to todays situation where women can pretty much do what they like without the necessity for marriage and/or children if they so wish. I doubt that any of the original 'militant' feminists of the 1960s like Germaine Greer, Betty Freidan etc would ever have anticipated a female British prime minister in the 1980s or a (shock!) BLACK female US secretary of state today.

Anyway, this thread will go on to the usual 30 pages and then no doubt someone will start with the next Hot Neocon Topic. We've done Abortion and Feminism, let's do Intelligent Design and Evolution, Homosexuality or Euthanasia.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

In Junglemonkey's fascist, 1700's world.. it never would have.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Oh my God, Oh my God. Am I about to respond to a troll?

[A]s long as the family and the myth of the family and the myth of maternity and the maternal instinct are not destroyed, women will still be oppressed.... No woman should be authorized to stay at home and raise her children. Society should be totally different. Women should not have that choice, precisely because if there is such a choice, too many women will make that one. It is a way of forcing women in a certain direction." ~ Simone de Beauvoir, "Sex, Society, and the Female Dilemma," Saturday Review, June 14, 1975.

This happened. My generation was the first to bear the fruits of our mother's fight. I see "feminism" meaning that men no longer made all the rules. (And who the hell uses that word anymore, it's 35 years old)

if you are ever lucky enough to have a man marry you. Most men prefer not to "buy the cow" as they get the milk for free. Many unfortunate women who buy into feminist dogma end up old, bitter and alone. (and no I'm not saying you are a cow just using a well-known metaphore).

Lucky? Lucky? Shouldn't it be that "we're lucky to have one another"? Are you a prized cow wife?

How the hell old are you? Do you have an original thought in your head or do you just cut and paste?

Lobelia: God forbid you were a lesbian, or unable to have children, or just plain didn't want to get married. What about all THOSE women? Screw their options, right?

Thank heavens you said that Lobs. As one who has made the choice to not be a wife, I've got the world where I want it and I smile everyday.

Get with the program Jungle. There's a whole wonderful world out there for the taking and the giving.

I am really on the fence about feminism, good or bad. Well I do miss chivalry. I guess that is pretty much it. I just got confused about it all when Gloria Steinem came out and said she had changed her mind and then went and got married.

Gloria Steinem is a dyke?

Moomies: God forbid you were a lesbian, or unable to have children, or just plain didn't want to get married. What about all THOSE women? Screw their options, right?

Thank heavens you said that Mooms. As one who has made the choice to not be a wife, I've got the world where I want it and I smile everyday.
    Not to quibble, but I said that.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Sorry. I meant she changed her mind about everything she had talked about over the years and said she would never get married and then turned around and got married. It really sent me mixed messages.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet

Moomies: God forbid you were a lesbian, or unable to have children, or just plain didn't want to get married. What about all THOSE women? Screw their options, right?

Thank heavens you said that Mooms. As one who has made the choice to not be a wife, I've got the world where I want it and I smile everyday.

But I must admit there are times when I can't control my feminine urges!!!

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

LOl well people are entitled to change their minds..

That's the beauty of choice

Really, REALLY trying to keep my mouth shut....

There's an article called "The New Momism" that I wish I could find the text of online. It was in one of my gender studies books and was about the struggle between being a SAHM and a working mom and how women are expected to be "supermom" and the perfect professional at the same time.

JungleMonkey, I am sickened that any woman in the current society actually believes that we would be better off without feminism. You can thank feminism for every one of the basic rights you have, including the ability to cast your own vote in elections for the Republicans you love.

Don't be silly, JungleMonkey has a man to vote FOR her.

Corrected Lobelia.

Mooms, Lobs. lol. All cool chicks in my book.

One can be married and embrace feminism. Gloria didn't change. She just fell in love. And then he died two years later. Damn. (and that was Christian Bale's daddy too)

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

THANK YOU FEMINISM

for giving me the opportunity to get a post-secondary education!

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information