Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: House votes to cut 700 mln in food stamps.

Default Re: House votes to cut 700 mln in food stamps.

I think most people would choose to work, rather than sit on their butts and take handouts. The problem is, there are so many jobs out there (Walmart being one) where it is impossible to live on the wage they pay, especially if you have some dependants. Their health insurance is high, and sometimes people have to choose between food and something like a phone. Maybe it is easier for people to stay on welfare, because then at least you get a check and can get the medical attention you need. This country is not kind to poor people, especially the working poor.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Bronze Member

People are going to be starving! Thanksgiving will be bleak!

This isn't Bangladesh, dumbasses. In case no one has noticed, the United States has the fattest poor in the world. I've seen people buying their groceries with food stamps who could live off of their blubber until the next ice age.

There's actually an inverse relationship between income and caloric intake in the U.S. - so the "poor" ain't exactly starving. Given this fact it might be time to reassess whether current policies are doing taxpayer's wallets, or the "poor's" health any good.

And because you probably wouldn't take my word for it anyway...

Source...

And another source...

'Bout time some (literal and figurative) fat was trimmed from the budget.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Rizzo View Post
    ^ Fat poor people are not the only Americans on welfare. I deal with poor, SKINNY cancer patients on Medicaid on a day to day basis. They happen to NEED it. I highly doubt Walmart will hire a wheelchair bound 80 yr old on oxygen.
    nothing like going to extremes to prove a point - no social worker would expect that patient to work. try again...

Bronze Member

Yes, I'm absolutely certain all of that $700 million was going towards skinny cancer patients on Medicaid.

Yes, a lot of poor people are fat, because 1) some of them haven't been educated in nurtition, and 2) cheap food is fattening. It is easier to go to McDonalds and order off the dollar menu rather than buy some fresh vegetables and chicken breast and cook it yourself. Especially for a family. A lot of times you do see what looks to be poor people pushing shopping carts with crappy food in it, but a lot of times poor = ignorant. In a perfect society, everyone would be born knowing about the right food to eat, but some people do need education, and I think there is a tendancy in this country to dismiss the poor and kind of write them off. We sort of expect them to just stay in their places, and dont' offer a lot of help to better themselves. Occasionally you hear about someone working out of the ghetto by themselves, but that is rare and very difficult to do.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgow53 View Post
    Yes, a lot of poor people are fat, because 1) some of them haven't been educated in nurtition, and 2) cheap food is fattening. It is easier to go to McDonalds and order off the dollar menu rather than buy some fresh vegetables and chicken breast and cook it yourself. Especially for a family. A lot of times you do see what looks to be poor people pushing shopping carts with crappy food in it, but a lot of times poor = ignorant. In a perfect society, everyone would be born knowing about the right food to eat, but some people do need education, and I think there is a tendancy in this country to dismiss the poor and kind of write them off. We sort of expect them to just stay in their places, and dont' offer a lot of help to better themselves. Occasionally you hear about someone working out of the ghetto by themselves, but that is rare and very difficult to do.

Exactly. That also why there are many fast food places near low-income areas. Fast food is cheap garbage, and since people with low-income can't afford a decent supply of grocieries then they can just get inside a McD's or KFC for some quick and fattening food.

Chonesy as far as your lack of respect on people getting their food stamps cut and your suggestion of these people getting a job at WalMart. Do you know how tough it is to get a job anywhere these days. Some places just don't up and hire ya on the spot, you have to fill an application and wait and see if ya gonna get hired. For people who depend on food stamps they can't wait, they have bills to pay and possibly others to take care of. And as every one has mentioned WalMart and other stores are'nt the best jobs to depend on in terms of wages. Just think about that.

And Hydrochloric, please refrain from calling people "dumbasses". I know ya new here, but please don't insult members on this forum. Just a warning.

Hit By Ban Bus!

you misjudge my opinion with a lack of respect. People that need help should get help. However - it would be naive to believe that the majority of the people currently accepting food stamps are unable to find work.

If people are eating fast food rather than go to a grocery store - then I suppose there is a reason they are unemployed as it is cheaper to eat with groceries than at a fast food restaurant.

can you even use food stamps in a fast food place?

However - it would be naive to believe that the majority of the people currently accepting food stamps are unable to find work.
    And it would be naive to assume that people that use food stamps are doing it for a free ride rather than finding a job.

And no ya cannot use food stamps in a fast-food place.

Hit By Ban Bus!

so you think anyone and everyone getting food stamps deserves them huh?

The cheapest groceries contain the highest calories. Fresh fruit, vegetables and lean meat are the most expensive.

No one truly knows how it feels like to not have enough money for food until they have to look into their child’s eyes and tell them there is no food to eat
    Scariest Halloween mask ever > > >

1) Hydrochloric, no namecalling. Expressely forbidden in the rules. Warning 1.

2) Poor fat people have to eat a lot of mac and cheese because, hey it costs 99 cents and has some meagre nutritional value surrounded by about 1000 calories of carbs. Cheap crap food makes you fat, it's not like the poor people are sitting at home gorging themselves for days on end.

My god, have any of you conservatives ever BEEN poor? On welfare? Probably not given the attitudes displayed. It's not fun, and it's not a game. 5 bucks is the difference between eating a whole week or not.

Christ on a stick some people just have absolutely no perspective.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!

as usual, you miss the point. No one wants to hold welfae away from those who need it - however the system requires overhauling and trimming those that are taking advantage. I too have been in line behind someone using food stamps - hundreds of dollars worth - and they weren't buying the $.99 mac-n-cheese. You know - in the grovery stores around here - you can eat really well by purchasing the sale items - but then, that would be work.

^

So could ya explain how the system in your opinion needs to be overhaul and how cutting $700mil from food stamps is a good thing?

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by chonesy View Post
    so you think anyone and everyone getting food stamps deserves them huh?
    manners. manners... you first.

(but I can give you a hint - $46 Billion was spent on food assist programs in 2004 - I think there might be a little fluff in there - ya think?)
    Last edited by chonesy; November 23rd, 2005 at 06:52 AM.

aye... Some people may use food stamps even though they got money to afford food themselves, but hey I don't see a problem with that to be honest. It saves them money.

Now what's wrong with spending $46billion on food assist programs. I think it's good that there is a food assist program out there for people who cannot afford food or barely get by. Do you not like money going to these programs because it goes out of your taxes? Hmmmm.....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information