Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Hockey Mom' Sarah Palin booed -- at big hockey game

Wow, that other video really confirms what the original sports blogger wrote. The video shows people standing up with their thumbs down.

Haha.

How awful it must be for her to have left her safe little world where all you have to do is wink and smile pretty to get your way. LOL

LOL @ this comment

This "poor" lib probably pays $50.00 a game to sit up in the rafters where this video was shot from. This lib would better spend this money on his/her "health care" they claim they can't afford...
    P.S. I believe the correct grammar would be "Sarah Palin booed loudLY..." Uneducated liberals...

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

The second video is great. Hilarious how she keeps that idiotic grin on her face the whole time. And sorry about her kid but she shouldn't be using little Piper as a prop in the first place.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Bronze Member

“I’ve been warned that Flyers fans, they get so enthused, that they boo everybody at the drop of the puck.

No, you self-righteous delusional bitch! YOU are running for the next highest office in the USA and you are supposed to get RESPECT!

Quote Originally Posted by ymeman View Post
    How awful it must be for her to have left her safe little world where all you have to do is wink and smile pretty to get your way. LOL
    ... and if that doesn't work then fire a slew of people! You know Sarah was something of an athelete herself. Back in high school her nick name was "Sarah Baracuda", for her aggressive play on the basketball court!

Oh I love it! All the booooooooo-ing and the Obama/Biden signs.
    Classic.

I've blocked Fox News on my channel listing. They should call themselves the Repub Propaganda Network.

Anywho, I have to visit Philly one day and thank them for humiliating that wench!

I think Fox news ratings have dropped recently and mostly the demos are skewed to the elderly zombie masses. So they may get alot of viewers but not the ones who count and in a few years when those kick the bucket its going to be interesting to see how they will attract newer younger viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by ana-mish-ana View Post
    I think Fox news ratings have dropped recently and mostly the demos are skewed to the elderly zombie masses. So they may get alot of viewers but not the ones who count and in a few years when those kick the bucket its going to be interesting to see how they will attract newer younger viewers.

Not all old people! My 85 year old mom watches it and calls them a bunch of dumb lard asses who don't know their asses from a hole in the ground, etc... Older people who are not wealthy are finding it harder to buy meds, pay bills, and eat and aren't buying all the bullshit being thrown at them. There's about 5 or 6 of her friends that get together and trash FAUX news and the commentators. Like my mom once said, "Why would anyone normal name their kid after one of the Three Stooges - Shep"? And don't get her started on Sean Hamity...
    as privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show, swept out through the cracks beneath the door, holier than thou, how?

Oops - I didnt mean all of them- And your mother and freinds are a hoot

There are also younger viewers who believe this crap as well. But in general Fox news will definitely have problems in the next decade or so about maintaining their viewers unless they tone the kool aide which I think Murdoch may do since he seems to be courting Obama and he knows what side the butter is spread. But I think Roger Ailes may not have a long future at Fox.

I was at this game and the booing was so loud!!! Now Flyers fans will indeed boo anything but this was intentional and loud. At games if a ref makes a call people do not agree with (in other words, if it is against the Flyers) the crowd begins to chant asshole, asshole, asshole... There was a lot of that happening along with the boos. It was fabulous.

Palin Drops the Puck
    Published on Monday, October 13, 2008 by The Nation
    Palin Drops the Puck

by Dave Zirin and Daniel Denvir

You cannot make this up. Sarah Palin, the best-known hockey mom in the United States, gets booed Saturday at the Philadelphia Flyers hockey game. And the game is played, of all places, at the Wachovia Center. It's all over YouTube: failing candidate, failed bank as corporate sponsor, the kind of anger that cannot be scripted.

The Philly welcome was what New York Times hockey blogger Lynn Zinser described as "resounding (almost deafening) boos from the Flyers crowd." Don't believe the reports that describe "a mix of cheers and boos." There was a mix all right: a mix of boos and piped-in rock music that was like (we have to say it) lipstick on a pig.

You might excuse Governor Palin for thinking this appearance would be a public relations "gimme." It was opening night and the fans would be in well-lubricated good spirits. The announcer's voice on the jumbotron, that twenty-first century altar of truth, intoned, "Flyers fans, show Philadelphia's class and welcome America's number-one hockey mom, Sarah Palin!" And we all know Miss "Pallin' Around with Terrorists" is nothing but classy.
    As added insurance, the GOP vice-presidential candidate walked out on the ice with seven-year-old daughter, Piper, who wore a Flyers jersey. Palin acknowledged this strategy beforehand, saying, "I've been warned that Flyers fans, they get so enthused, that they boo everybody at the drop of the puck. But what I thought I'd do is I'd put Piper in a Flyers jersey, bring her out with me. How dare they boo Piper!" Well, they dared, and Sarah Palin once again makes her case for mother of the year.

Maybe Philadelphia fans remembered that several weeks earlier, Palin almost got sent to the political etiquette penalty box for even thinking about jogging on the streets of the City of Brotherly Love dressed in a New York Rangers jersey. Maybe they were repulsed by the hard bigotry that Palin wears on the campaign trail as effortlessly as she wears her sparkly rhinestone flag pin.

Responsibility for this failed political charade starts and ends with Philadelphia Flyers owner Ed Snider, a big-time Republican donor who invited Palin on the mistaken assumption that she would burnish the brands of the sport and his team. This is yet another example why hockey is the worst-marketed game on the planet. It's like inviting PETA to a barbecue. Palin's negatives are almost Bushian. Outside her narrow base of nationalist bigots, the country is recoiling. Yet Snider and the NHL reasoned her presence would be a big publicity coup. All the while, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly insisted this was not about politics: "Governor Palin is a supporter of the sport, which she has proclaimed publicly. As a public figure who has a very public connection with hockey, her recent associations with the Flyers and other NHL franchises is not surprising and, in our view, not inappropriate."

Flyers fans in Philly were not nearly so giving, but you can understand why Palin chose this venue. As Philadelphia Weekly Executive Editor Liz Spikol said, "Of all the sporting events that could appeal to conservative voters in Philly, hockey would be the Republicans' best bet. But the electorate is changing and not even hockey fans are easy pickings."

For thirty-five years, Gus Koseevos has run a diner in Fishtown, a white, working-class area of Philadelphia currently being gentrified. The diner is filled with Flyers paraphernalia, including two different wall clocks. Koseevos said he didn't like mixing politics with sports and wasn't impressed with Palin's visit; he wouldn't reveal who he planned to vote for. But long-time waitress Mary Kulb didn't object to Palin's puck-dropping stunt; she was just happy to see a woman on the ice. Kulb said she is leaning towards McCain, even though most of her neighbors are voting for Obama. A Hillary Clinton backer in the primaries, Kulb said she doesn't really trust either candidate.

Mark Bradley is a member of Glaziers Local 252 and a dedicated Flyers fan. He said he considers all of Palin's public appearances designed to "make up for the Couric interview." He also said that he wouldn't think it right for any candidate to drop the puck--but added that Joe Biden would have "been more accepted in a working-class town like Philly. The NHL has thirty cities. She should have gone somewhere else. But then again, she might have gotten the same response anywhere."

Bradley said that the whole hockey-mom thing is clearly aimed at white, working-class voters. But with the economy tanking, he said he didn't think the strategy would work. A Google search reveals that Palin may have nearly coined the term "hockey mom," the symbolic value of which contrasts with two other types of mom in the American socio-political imagination: urban black mothers, whose children rarely play hockey, and the latté-drinking, suburban, Democratic-voting soccer moms. But there are hockey moms--and dads--in Philadelphia, far from the American heartland, and on Saturday night, they weren't having any of it.

Commenting on the debacle, Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell observed, "This is why I say that sports and politics don't mix." But it's not sports and politics that don't mix. Athletes routinely get torn apart like carrion when they express political views--and that isn't always fair. The problem is the hijacking of sports by wealthy owners and their political puppeteers. Maybe when this campaign is finally over, we can point to a moment when a group of hockey fans in the land of Wachovia said "enough."

Elite Member

Default Re

A Google search reveals that Palin may have nearly coined the term "hockey mom," the symbolic value of which contrasts with two other types of mom in the American socio-political imagination: urban black mothers, whose children rarely play hockey, and the latté-drinking, suburban, Democratic-voting soccer moms.
    Whenever I hear the term "Hockey Mom" I want to cringe or vomit, b/c here in Massachusetts "Hockey Dad" is the guy who lost it and beat another kid's father to death at their sons' hockey game. I know it's not SP's fault and doesn't have anything to do with her, but the Hockey Mom thing has bugged me from the get-go.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information