Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Hispanic growth moving eastward

Schwarzeneggar who raised tuition prices at state schools here in CA and taking funding away from programs that helped lower income kids who performed well go to universities.

I don't like that guy either, he is always acting so emboldened. He should at least give resources so they can better organize themselves. That takes time.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i just think that whenever you do something to hurt children or education (even healthcare benefits) you're making a big mistake. they are our future and i for one want a more secure future. who's going to take care of my azz when i'm in a nursing home someday?!

You're too young to think about the rest home.

Gold Member

Immigrants from all over the world have been entering the US through the East Coast for hundreds of years so I doubt they are going to be "afraid" of hispanic immigrants. As a matter of fact there is already a large number of Hispanics (not from Mexico)living there.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

dreaming about being on a lake in Ontario

I live in San Diego, I pay taxes for many people to attend those universities. I don't know of any prestigious university in California that is heavily Latino. Not U.C.L.A., not USC, not Berkeley, not UCSD. so which was it. Most of California's university are heavily Asian. And since I'm the one paying the taxes for their education and health care I damn well can say I want them to get better jobs. Jobs that will pay for their health care etc. You don't get those without education. You want to pay for everyones health care, fine, I don't.
    If I can't be a good example, then let me be a horrible warning.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    whats w/ all this "they" talk, thats the first sign of ingnorance. I could do the same thing when describing other nationalities or ethnic groups and I'd sound like a complete moron and bigot.

quit generalizing; its not smart.
    I hope this was not directed at me..I was just using 'they' or 'them' cause it was easier than repeately saying "fairly recent legal and illegal Mexican or other Central American immigrants in the Central Ohio area"
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Quote Originally Posted by gardenofeve View Post
    I dunno, I went to public school (not all that long ago) in downtown Toronto where oodles of kids were ESL and had a great enriched learned environment. That said, that was BEFORE Harris and his idiots (previous Conservative gov't that made massive cuts to education). I think that is the greater crime than anything, schools need funding and unless we're willing to put money into it, then we shouldn't complain when we get poor results.

That said, where I currently live in Scarberiaand with oodles of ESL students, our public school is ranked one of the best in Toronto, so I think a lot of it depends on the educators, administrators and community support. I know our school receives a lot of help from the community, but of course that all relates back to the staff who encourage and inspire it.

And most of those free English classes, aren't free. I've been volunteering for a free English class and learning from the TOESL ot TESL teacher, many of them are scams by various companies. The free classes such as LINC are often stuffed to the gills and poorly resourced with crummy gov't admin and most true free english classes are much the same and offered either by non-profits, churches (and usually only one denomenation does it without annoying recruitment or pushy religious stuff) or charities.

I think it would be a great eye opener for anyone complaining about new immigrants not speaking the language to actually spend some time doing ESL work for free. I've learned so much in my year doing it and have had students from all sorts of backgrounds and ages. All eager to learn not only the language, the culture, the history and everything else they can absorb. I'm sure there are immigrants who don't do anything, but in my experience, they have definitely been the minority and do not deserve to be lumped in with the tonnes of hardworking immigrants that Canada has been built on.

BTW, these complaints are not very new, my mother can recall her family who migrated from Ireland facing discrimination for "not speaking proper English" and then other immigrants such as Italians, Greeks for their weird customs and not assimilating. My opinion, if people didn't assimilate to the First Nations when they first came here, we shouldn't expect anyone else to assimilate to our ways.
    *is 'Scarberia' a derogatory term for Scarborough(Scarborough + Siberia = Scarberia)? or is that an actual place? If it is the former it is hilarious!
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

It's the former, Soj, and it deserves the name, lol.

Scarberia, Scarghetto..

on the other side, Brampton is called Bramladesh or Bramistan
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

You forgot Scarlem.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Has everyone forgot Sarsborough? I live a stones throw away from one of the hospitals, even had to visit the doctor during SARS. Had a great time hacking on people when I visited other cities and they found out where I was from. Muahahahahaaaaaa.

Nevertheless, I grew up downtown and am currently scoping out homes in Cabbagetown or Riverdale. I live in a nice area, but fuck, I'd like to see a neighbour every now and again.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information