Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: The high price gays pay for lack of (financial) rights

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wombat View Post
    I will just say that this was not the case at all when I studied abroad in France. I came back from spending Christmas in the US sick as a dog. After not getting better the next day, my host mother made an appointment with their doctor for me to see him THAT DAY. He checked me out and gave me a prescription for something (don't remember what).

And I paid very little. Maybe 120 francs? I can't remember, but it was cheap. Nothing like the whacked out costs in the US. The US system has a lot of administrative costs factored in to the total price.
    It was a surprise to get an appointment the same day you called? In my (and my mothers) 15~ years of going to the same doctor there's only been 2 or 3 times where I haven't been able to get in on the same day that either of us have called for an appointment. There were also a few times I had to go to a walk-in clinic, but that was on the weekends when the dr. wasn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by maryk View Post
    How is it that Canada's is supposedly so horrible,
    The thing is, it isn't horrible. Yes, there are areas that could be improved and yes, occasionally someone screws up but overall the system works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fauvee View Post
    . Most Canadians who can afford it buy American Health Insurance for quicker access and to recieve America's higher quality medical care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fauvee View Post
    Your rosey picture of Canadian health Care is beyond the pale of reality. I deal in statistical facts. 20% of Canadians who live within 200 miles of the US border/major US city buy some type of US Health Insurance. It is the #1 Insurance product sold to Canadians. Most Canadians buy American Health plans with relatively high deductables ($2000 to $10,000) for approximately $400 per month for a couple - $700 for a family. If they opt for an HMO or PPO with low or no deductable they pay $800 per month per couople or $1200 per family. Grimmlok, I'm a lot of things but I'm not a liar. I can rain stats down on you to prove my ascertions. Wait times for non-emergeny health care using the Canadian Social Medical System are 5 to 20 times slower than the US. That's the truth about Canadian Socialized Medicine.
    I'm awaiting your stats. BUT with a source. Because what I see so far is bullshit. I've never met or heard of anyone in my life who would buy insurance or want to go to an American hospital if it could be avoided.

Try this: www.amsa.org/studytours/WaitingTimes_primer.pdf

Eta. crap I can't fix the link to make it work. Just cut and paste.
    Last edited by Tati; March 7th, 2009 at 11:20 AM.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

I love it when self-proclaimed "statisticians" living in the US get schooled by people who actually reside in these countries and truly know how their own system works from personal experience.

I think some newbs here just initially assume that everyone on this board is another clueless American they can dazzle with their knowledge.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i have to deal with them and their racist rantings about illegal immigrants "sucking the system dry" all the time.

the interwebs breed all kinds of experts and "statisticians"; a great tool for hate.
    Last edited by AliceInWonderland; March 6th, 2009 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by L1049 View Post
    It was a surprise to get an appointment the same day you called? In my (and my mothers) 15~ years of going to the same doctor there's only been 2 or 3 times where I haven't been able to get in on the same day that either of us have called for an appointment. There were also a few times I had to go to a walk-in clinic, but that was on the weekends when the dr. wasn't there.
    No, I'm just pointing out that it's false to assume that in countries with socialized or universal healthcare such as France that it's utterly false to think people can't get into see doctors when they need to. If you'll look back, I was quoting/responding to chattykathy who mentioned waiting lists and evaluation for further care in other countries, which is fear-mongering about health care in my book.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    I love it when self-proclaimed "statisticians" living in the US get schooled by people who actually reside in these countries and truly know how their own system works from personal experience.

I think some newbs here just initially assume that everyone on this board is another clueless American they can dazzle with their knowledge.
    By knowledge do you mean their internetz skool? I heer they is good book lerners.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

bla bla bla is all i ever hear.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    First of all, I am skeptical that the percentage is that high. But even if that is the case, so what? You seem to be purporting that Canadians are getting U.S. health insurance because Canadians offer inferior care. That is nonsense. Most who carry U.S. health insurance do so because they spend a lot of time in the U.S. and don't want to go bankrupt if they need emergency care while visiting or wintering in the U.S.
    Yep. A friend of mine basically went broke trying to pay for an appendectomy she had to have while living in the US for a couple of years... she was living there but chose to go without insurance. Big mistake. It would have cost her nothing in Canada.

My husband's grandparents are snowbirds - they spend about a third of the year in Florida. They've upped that recently, and are now spending enough time there that they need to buy some American insurance. (They can actually spend a heck of a lot of time down there and still have their costs covered by the Ontario government - they practically have to split their time 50/50 before they need to get private insurance.)

And whatever you're trying to imply (Fauvee) about the Canadians "living near the border" getting American insurance... I'm guessing you're trying to suggest that they do that so they can hop down there whenever it pleases them to get treatment? How 'bout try, damn near all of us live near the border! It's a feature of climate, settlement and geography. So people "living near the border" are very likely just regular Canadians who find they spend enough time in the US to warrant getting some American health insurance. It has nothing to do with preferring to go to the clinics in bloody Michigan.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

^ that is so sad Tati about ur friend! that just isnt right. not at all.

Elite Member

I think a lot of Americans cling to an outdated idea that our healthcare is much better than the rest of the world's.

They are surprised to learn how we've slipped in rankings for lifespan, infant mortality, and so forth.

They also confuse the availability of specialized, advanced treatments with good medical care. They don't mean much when so many people lack basic healthcare. Many of these treatments as well as the highly skilled people needed to administer them are available in other countries as well. I think a lot of people don't get that. They think of healthcare outside the US as some Soviet-era clinic.

My primary care physician wouldn't give me an appointment for 2 days. I pointed out that I had been sick for several days already before I decided to call. Was told, "Well, you must not be that sick, then."

We pay insurance premiums up the ass every month (and consider ourselves lucky to do so, as at least we have insurance), but still have to pay a yearly $250 deductible for meds, then we have to pay co-pays after that ranging up to $35 for a month's supply of some drugs.

Since my husband had a heart attack at 47 and takes 6 daily medications, I take 1 medication, and my youngest takes a daily medication, we spend $100-200 on medication co-pays every month.

We have a $75 co-pay for ER visits, $25 co-pays for our doctor, and other expenses that add up. We pay at least $6000 a year in premiums, plus the costs I listed above.

We have a yearly deductible for any hospital stays, and only 80% of a hospital stay is covered.

Keep in mind that the monthly premium I mentioned is about half the cost--my husband's employer pays the rest.

And yeah, it's gotten to the point where I avoid going to the doctor to save a $25 co-pay. And I've cut pills in half to save money when things were bad.

That is some serious money that we spend every year for routine care. Surely this money could be better spent by the system?

Oh yeah, and WTF is up with someone who claims to work in insurance, yet repeatedly misspells 'deductible'?
    Last edited by Tati; March 8th, 2009 at 12:07 AM.

It also misspells "conservative" and "genius". Two of the things it prides itself in being. Did FF know how to spell those words?

Elite Member

Did FF post about political things? I've only ever read the threads where she promised to post her weight loss diary, and the one where she dished fake "insider" celebrity gossip.

Not the herpes/sushi post?

I'm sure she can learn new tricks. Nothing posted is original--just re-hashed Dittohead crap.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    I think a lot of Americans cling to an outdated idea that our healthcare is much better than the rest of the world's.

They are surprised to learn how we've slipped in rankings for lifespan, infant mortality, and so forth.

They also confuse the availability of specialized, advanced treatments with good medical care. They don't mean much when so many people lack basic healthcare. Many of these treatments as well as the highly skilled people needed to administer them are available in other countries as well. I think a lot of people don't get that. They think of healthcare outside the US as some Soviet-era clinic.
    So true, so true.
    "Oh! I've been looking for a red suede pump!"
    - Marie (Carrie Fisher), When Harry Met Sally

Elite Member

Default re

Not the herpes/sushi post?
    Oh, yeah. That was a good one, too. Is that the one that she finally got banned over?

I never was able to get far enough through the weight loss thread to see whether she ever posted her food diary. Sigh.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information