Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hell freezes over twice: RNC elects Michael Steele as first semi-black chairman

TDKgirl, Uncle Tom is a character in a book. It's no different than describing someone as Gatsby-esque.

I don't ever use the N-word. It bothers me, but I understand why black people use it with each other. It's not new. It's something I've heard all my life. I've rarely heard black people use the N-word with malice. I think the word isn't the problem so much as the intent.

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    In all seriousness, I want to know why its acceptable for blacks, specifically black liberals, to call other blacks, 'uncle tom'. Why is it acceptable for even white liberals to call black republicans uncle tom? Mike Miller, then democrat President of the Maryland senate said this, "He [Michael Steele] is the personification of an Uncle Tom". Now where was the outrage among blacks?

From my perspective, I find that term almost as offensive as the N word, and can not believe anyone in this day and age would use such a racist term, especially when they accuse others of being racist.

I guess I'm more shocked than anything that the party with the claim on tolerance and acceptance is the one using such a term so freely- and free of disdain. Regardless of what your political affiliation is, wrong is wrong. And I'd like to see more people call it out when it happens. You can disagree with a person's politics, but by ignoring the blatant bigotry by fellow race (and party) members is unacceptable.
    When the term Uncle Tom is used by someone who is black, trust me, we know exactly what we are saying and the intent to paint that person as what the term implies is there. There are other terms which could be used. None of them are any less offensive.

A black man who accepts this position, which was obviously given to him only to blackwash the party's image, is exactly what I called him. Uncle Tom. So is Condi. So is Clarence Thomas.

Be offended if you like. This situation is offensive and what is even more offensive is that he would go along with it.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    When the term Uncle Tom is used by someone who is black, trust me, we know exactly what we are saying and the intent to paint that person as what the term implies is there. There are other terms which could be used. None of them are any less offensive.

A black man who accepts this position, which was obviously given to him only to blackwash the party's image, is exactly what I called him. Uncle Tom. So is Condi. So is Clarence Thomas.

Be offended if you like. This situation is offensive and what is even more offensive is that he would go along with it.
    So again, by what you are saying, its only black republicans? How and the world is that even fair? Are all blacks supposed to be the same? Is race the great equalizer or should people, regardless of race, be free to determine what they believe, etc.?

I find it offensive that anyone, regardless of race, can not accept the difference in people and want to pigeonhole and stereotype based on a personal set of expectations of what is 'supposed to be'. In my mind, that makes you a bigot and a racist for even supporting the notion that such a term is acceptable if you deem it to be true.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Silver Member

Thumbs down

Sane,

have you ever spoken to a black republican and asked why he/she is a republican

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    I think they wanted a more legitimate and critical way of going after Obama, so they chose Stepin Fetchit to be their song and dance man. If he don't hold Obama's feet to the fire, then he'll get blamed for the further failures of the GOP. Funny how the party said that the election was one because everyone played the race card, have played it in a majorly, disgusting way!! We got us a black too...look we're progressive!
    Michael Steele is no Stepin Fetchit.

I'm from Maryland, too. He was a well-respected guy here. And unlike a lot of other Republicans, he is not an angry, screaming social conservative.

Ultimately, I don't think that Steele will be that successful as RNC chairman, though, because he is not conservative enough for someone like Limbaugh. Limbaugh will start sniping at Steele pretty quickly.

The position wasn't given to him by any means. He got it after six different ballots were drawn.

Politically, the historical ideal of the Republican party was a federalism platform, born from the slavery issue and whether states should have the right to say yay or nay to it.

You come down south and live here for twenty years, then tell me that is what being a republican doesn't carry more latent meanings, having evolved over one and half centuries. Seriously, take off the blindfold and look at what the Republican party has been doing. If you have somehow managed to ignore the fact the very party which claims to want less government control is the very party which encourages the use, some would say misuse of government power, throughout all three branches, to perpetuate its ultra-conservative, usually religious based, agenda, I don't know where you have been. Actions speak louder than words.

Don't feed me the lines. I don't drink the kool-aid, tyvm.
    Civil Rights Act of 1875:

The Civil Rights Act of 1875 (18 Stat. 335) was United States federal law proposed by Republican Senator Charles Sumner and Republican Congressman Benjamin F. Butler in 1870. The act was passed by Congress in February, 1875 and signed by Republican President Grant on March 1, 1875.
    The Act guaranteed that everyone, regardless of race, color, or previous condition of servitude, was entitled to the same treatment in "public accommodations" (i.e. inns, public conveyances on land or water, theaters, and other places of public amusement).

Civil Rights Act of 1964:
    Votes for and against, by party:
    • Democratic Party: 153-91 (63%-37%)
    • Republican Party: 136-35 (80%-20%)

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    The position wasn't given to him by any means. He got it after six different ballots were drawn.
    And let's not forget that in close second, Katon Dawson, was a Republican who just recently dropped his membership from a whites-only club. Seems that many in the GOP didn't seem to have a problem with that symbolism given that 77 RNC members (almost half) voted for Dawson regardless of his potential PR problem should he be RNC chair.

The Civil Rights Act of 1875 (18 Stat. 335) was United States federal law proposed by Republican Senator Charles Sumner and Republican Congressman Benjamin F. Butler in 1870. The act was passed by Congress in February, 1875 and signed by Republican President Grant on March 1, 1875.
    The Act guaranteed that everyone, regardless of race, color, or previous condition of servitude, was entitled to the same treatment in "public accommodations" (i.e. inns, public conveyances on land or water, theaters, and other places of public amusement).
    The Republican Party prior to 1880 is not the same party of the 21st century. Hell, even Teddy Roosevelt couldn't tolerate the GOP today.

And the reason for the Democratic Party not being for Civil Rights was because they held onto the South in 1964. That's the reason why the South is mainly Republican now. Did you forget this? The GOP and Dems are different parties now than they were 40 years ago.

I'm from Maryland, too. He was a well-respected guy here. And unlike a lot of other Republicans, he is not an angry, screaming social conservative.

Ultimately, I don't think that Steele will be that successful as RNC chairman, though, because he is not conservative enough for someone like Limbaugh. Limbaugh will start sniping at Steele pretty quickly.
    He kissed Erlich's ass every chance he got. When he ran for Senate, the GOP didn't help him. His first trip around black people was the week before the election, lying to Pre-schools about how he was going to help them if he was elected..this is the same man who help cut their state funding as Lt. Governor. He shucks and jives for the GOP!! And don't give a damn about him!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Silly me, I forgot blacks can only be liberals. And that there aren't any racists or bigots in the Dem party. I am revoking my voter registration and signing up as a liberal!!! I have seen the light from all the wonderful folks here!
    You're missing the point. Nobody is saying that blacks have to be liberal. Hell, I'm black and I'm not liberal. I'm more moderate. I think it's wrong to be too conservative or liberal.

And, yes, there are bigots in both parties. Except the Dems didn't wear their bigotry like a badge of honor in this past election. And all you have to do is look at both the Republican and Democratic conventions to see which one reflects America. The Democratic convention was a mix of every race, creed and color. The Republican convention was predominantly white with a small sprinkle of minorities. That says it all right there.

In all seriousness, I want to know why its acceptable for blacks, specifically black liberals, to call other blacks, 'uncle tom'. Why is it acceptable for even white liberals to call black republicans uncle tom? Mike Miller, then democrat President of the Maryland senate said this, "He [Michael Steele] is the personification of an Uncle Tom". Now where was the outrage among blacks?

From my perspective, I find that term almost as offensive as the N word, and can not believe anyone in this day and age would use such a racist term, especially when they accuse others of being racist.

I guess I'm more shocked than anything that the party with the claim on tolerance and acceptance is the one using such a term so freely- and free of disdain. Regardless of what your political affiliation is, wrong is wrong. And I'd like to see more people call it out when it happens. You can disagree with a person's politics, but by ignoring the blatant bigotry by fellow race (and party) members is unacceptable.
    For the same reason that some white liberals and conservatives will call those whites who are into black culture 'wiggas.' For example: Kevin Federline or Eminem.

And why should blacks be outraged when an Uncle Tom is called an Uncle Tom? People like Steele and Clarence Thomas try to disassociate themselves from being black anyway, so they won't get a lot of blacks rushing to their defense.

So again, by what you are saying, its only black republicans? How and the world is that even fair? Are all blacks supposed to be the same? Is race the great equalizer or should people, regardless of race, be free to determine what they believe, etc.?

I find it offensive that anyone, regardless of race, can not accept the difference in people and want to pigeonhole and stereotype based on a personal set of expectations of what is 'supposed to be'. In my mind, that makes you a bigot and a racist for even supporting the notion that such a term is acceptable if you deem it to be true.
    This man was put forth as a pathetic attempt to cover the true nature of the right. There is no way he can not know he was "given" that position because the Republicans did not want to seem mired in the past.

Are you seriously trying to use the argument that hatred is behind my pointing out this man is allowing himself to be used as some sort of white flag to the minorities? No. What is behind that statement is the truth. If McCain had been elected, this guy would not have even been an option.

That term is totally acceptable. Be offended. Foam at the mouth if you would like. As a black person, I know very damn well what Uncle Tom means and when one is near. Don't you dare call me a racist or a bigot because I am pointing out this is nothing more than a PR stunt to somehow salvage the tarnished image of the Republican party.

If he doesn't see why the Repubs want a black face representing them, he is in serious denial or he knows and doesn't care, as long as he receives something in return. So, don't tell me the term Uncle Tom is unacceptable. In this case, it is acceptable and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
    Sane,

I have spoken to black republicans, black democrats, and black independents. What else would you like to know? I have access to black people who cover all walks of life. How many do you know?

Those black republicans I have spoken to cite several reasons for being such. One is dems spend too much money. Another is the Republicans were the group who allowed blacks in this country to have civil rights. The third most cited reason, to me, was the democratic party was too liberal, allowing abortion and such. So, government spending, historical actions, and disagreement with actions seen as immoral, sinful, etc. were the reasons cited. I can understand the first. The second refers to a past that has long since ceased to exist. The third, obviously, has religious tainting.

None of these, imho, answer the question,"What do Republicans do today that somehow affects minorities, of any group, positively?"

He will not be successful because he is not what people such as Limbaugh want as the face of the RNP. The only difference between Limbaugh and some other far righters is that Limbaugh says what he thinks, regardless of how offensive. I actually respect him more than I do those who pretend to not be prejudiced.

Strategic move. You are telling me the voters couldn't have been convinced this is what they needed?

Spare me. The Republican Party of even fifty years ago is nothing like the shadow that clings to the name now. I know the history. What is passing itself off as the RNP is actually an insult to the term.

Don't use examples of the Republican Party's actions one hundred plus and forty plus years ago as proof of what that party is now. It has changed.
    Last edited by RevellingInSane; February 1st, 2009 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
    Sane,

I know this question was for RIS, but I've interviewed a black Republican for a story and I asked him why he was a Republican. His response was that the Democratic Party tries to play too much into the victim-mode with blacks and that they've done more harm than good. Now, while I agree with him, to a point, that still didn't justify any blacks being Republican.

And then he tried to remind me how blacks leaned more Republican years ago because it was the party of Lincoln. I reminded him that the reason why blacks steered away from the GOP was because the GOP pushed blacks away and made it clear that blacks were not welcome, and that feeling exists in the conservative base today. He didn't have a response for that. Hell, even Colin Powell, a Republican, publically questioned the blatant racism he was seeing with the GOP.

The GOP isn't racist.
    The Washington Monthly-GOP RACISM REACHES NEW DEPTHS OF STUPIDITY-Steve Bennen

Let's not forget how many times Trent Lott had stated if the late, not that anyone is grieving, Strom Thurmond had been elected, this country wouldn't be like it is now. What did he mean? I have no idea what allusion he was making when saying segregationist Thurmond should have been elected.

I'm not the bigot. That would be the GOP.

Check the Kool-Aid.

I still can't believe there are contract-enforced whites-only clubs. How stupid does the GOP think blacks & the rest of the country are?? The whites-only fucker was neck-and-neck with Steele over several re-votes. Once that little tidbit was de-hooded, he shouldn't have received ANY votes.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information