Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hell freezes over twice: RNC elects Michael Steele as first semi-black chairman

I hate how this pick was made. It's so obvious that the Republican party thinks that by picking a black man (however qualified he may be) to be chairman, they're suddenly progressive. It's not gonna work; just like how McCain picked Palin as VP to catch the Hillary contingent and failed. It's insulting and ridiculous.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Lane View Post
    As much as I'd like to see this as a progressive move on the GOP's part... I don't buy it. They're projecting the image of racial tolerance/change... riding on the coattails of Obama's campaign, if you will... when I'm willing to bet that a large portion of these politicians still hold their traditionalist, conservative beliefs near and dear to their hearts.

Michael Steele is no Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    Black Republicans? How mentally imbalanced must a minority be to support Republicans. Oh, Uncle Tom...where are you?

He is following in the footsteps of the great black role models, such as Clarence Thomas and Condi Bush...err...Rice.
    All being a Republican means is that you believe in small government. It has nothing to do with race

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Interesting. I wonder how the die-hards will deal with it. Seems like quite a few Republicans didn't want a black man as president. Wonder how they'll deal with a black man as their party leader. This could be really interesting down the road...
    That is purely speculation on your part. Republicans didn't want Obama because of his stance on policy, not his color. Steele has been highly touted by Republicans for the past four years and was even on many conservative's short list for a VP shot. In spite of what you claim, the party accepts him and is glad to have him. His race is irrelevant. Sorry to disappoint you.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    I'd like to see what this guy's fellow Republicans say about him and his skin color behind his back. The guy's 'qualifications' don't seem all that stellar. Seems like a Clarence Thomas move -- prop up a black puppet to do what s/he is told. it's a black face on the same old racist policies and outlooks.
    That's all he is and was is a stupid uncle tom puppet. I live in the state he ran for Senate in, where he also was a Lt. Governor puppet..he only went near black people when it was time for an election. Oh well, at least they tried! Now if they will get qualified people of color to run for Senate, Congress, and Governor for say Mississippi..then they might be on to something, until then...it's Michael Steele!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by tkdgirl View Post
    That is purely speculation on your part. Republicans didn't want Obama because of his stance on policy, not his color. Steele has been highly touted by Republicans for the past four years and was even on many conservative's short list for a VP shot. In spite of what you claim, the party accepts him and is glad to have him. His race is irrelevant. Sorry to disappoint you.
    Considering the race-baiting campaign that the GOP ran against Obama it's hard to believe that they just openly embraced Steele. Now, while there are Republicans who don't care about Steele or Obama's race there are still those who do.

And considering that one of the nominees for the chairman post belonged to a restricted club, and the other one released the 'Barack the Magic Negro' song, and the number of times that people shouted out the N-word, 'monkey' and 'kill him' when Obama's name was mentioned at Palin rallies you can't really make the case that race isn't an issue with some of the hardcore conservative Republicans. Bottom line, if there were no Obama in the White House there would be no Steele running the RNC.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Considering the race-baiting campaign that the GOP ran against Obama it's hard to believe that they just openly embraced Steele. Now, while there are Republicans who don't care about Steele or Obama's race there are still those who do.

And considering that one of the nominees for the chairman post belonged to a restricted club, and the other one released the 'Barack the Magic Negro' song, and the number of times that people shouted out the N-word, 'monkey' and 'kill him' when Obama's name was mentioned at Palin rallies you can't really make the case that race isn't an issue with some of the hardcore conservative Republicans. Bottom line, if there were no Obama in the White House there would be no Steele running the RNC.
    King, darling, none of those name calling rumors were ever proven. None whatsoever. Not even the secret service found any evidence. As far as Steele, again, he has been prominent in the party since he was Lt. Gov. and became a rising star once he spoke at the RNC years ago. Call him what you want, but unless you are a republican or conservative, it doesn't really matter, does it? As for me, I would have voted for Steele in a heartbeat. His 2nd Amend. support is a little suspect, but everything is pretty damn good.

Need I remind you that before Obama, two of the most powerful people in the world were black- Colin Powell and Condi Rice. No matter how much you hate both of them, they were appointed by a republican president.

Quote Originally Posted by bychance View Post
    All being a Republican means is that you believe in small government. It has nothing to do with race
    Politically, the historical ideal of the Republican party was a federalism platform, born from the slavery issue and whether states should have the right to say yay or nay to it.

You come down south and live here for twenty years, then tell me that is what being a republican doesn't carry more latent meanings, having evolved over one and half centuries. Seriously, take off the blindfold and look at what the Republican party has been doing. If you have somehow managed to ignore the fact the very party which claims to want less government control is the very party which encourages the use, some would say misuse of government power, throughout all three branches, to perpetuate its ultra-conservative, usually religious based, agenda, I don't know where you have been. Actions speak louder than words.

Don't feed me the lines. I don't drink the kool-aid, tyvm.

King, darling, none of those name calling rumors were ever proven. None whatsoever. Not even the secret service found any evidence. As far as Steele, again, he has been prominent in the party since he was Lt. Gov. and became a rising star once he spoke at the RNC years ago. Call him what you want, but unless you are a republican or conservative, it doesn't really matter, does it? As for me, I would have voted for Steele in a heartbeat. His 2nd Amend. support is a little suspect, but everything is pretty damn good.
    No racism in the GOP? Right... And the lady in this video doesn't say that she's worried "the black will take over" if Obama wins.
    [youtube]zRqcfqiXCX0[/youtube]

Need I remind you that before Obama, two of the most powerful people in the world were black- Colin Powell and Condi Rice. No matter how much you hate both of them, they were appointed by a republican president.
    What rumors? It was all on video.

As for Steele, while he may be a rising star in the GOP, the fact is that he owes his new chairmanship to Obama. The Republicans have been trying to pick people to offset Obama for years. First, they used Alan Keyes to run against him in 2004, then they wanted their own version of Obama with Palin in 2008, and now in 2009 they're using Steele to try and defuse Obama's impact.

The GOP can see the writing on the wall. One of the primary reasons why Republicans lost such key states like Virginia, N.C., New Mexico, Florida, Ohio, Indiana, etc is due to demographics. In the next generation or so minorities will most likely be the majority in America and the Democratic Party reflects that. The GOP can't survive being a primarily white party with a smattering of minorities. Steele is a first step to trying to lure more minorities into the party, while trying to make people forget the race-baiting campaign the GOP ran against Obama. Otherwise, the GOP runs the risk of being just a regional party rather than a national one.

As for Condi and Colin Powell, that was Bush making Cabinet appointments. Being the RNC chair is an elected position and Steele had to through 5 or 6 rounds of voting. And isn't it convienent that the GOP decided to elect their first black chairman right after the first black president was sworn in.

The GOP operates just like FOX. They see someone else get a "hit" and they immediately release their own imitation version in hopes of grabbing the targeted audience. And you have people more than willing to participate for money and fame.

I think they wanted a more legitimate and critical way of going after Obama, so they chose Stepin Fetchit to be their song and dance man. If he don't hold Obama's feet to the fire, then he'll get blamed for the further failures of the GOP. Funny how the party said that the election was one because everyone played the race card, have played it in a majorly, disgusting way!! We got us a black too...look we're progressive!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Silly me, I forgot blacks can only be liberals. And that there aren't any racists or bigots in the Dem party. I am revoking my voter registration and signing up as a liberal!!! I have seen the light from all the wonderful folks here!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    And the lady in this video doesn't say that she's worried "the black will take over" if Obama wins.
    When are we taking over? I've been sitting here waiting and waiting...

The RP isn't racist? I guess somebody missed those gator baiting hats at the RNC.

In all seriousness, I want to know why its acceptable for blacks, specifically black liberals, to call other blacks, 'uncle tom'. Why is it acceptable for even white liberals to call black republicans uncle tom? Mike Miller, then democrat President of the Maryland senate said this, "He [Michael Steele] is the personification of an Uncle Tom". Now where was the outrage among blacks?

From my perspective, I find that term almost as offensive as the N word, and can not believe anyone in this day and age would use such a racist term, especially when they accuse others of being racist.

I guess I'm more shocked than anything that the party with the claim on tolerance and acceptance is the one using such a term so freely- and free of disdain. Regardless of what your political affiliation is, wrong is wrong. And I'd like to see more people call it out when it happens. You can disagree with a person's politics, but by ignoring the blatant bigotry by fellow race (and party) members is unacceptable.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information