Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heart tells McCain/Palin to stop using song

^ Nancy and Ann Wilson emailed Entertainment Weekly themselves.
    They are not thrilled,I don't know who the source for that radio station was?...

Heart is taking issue with their hit song "Barracuda" being played during Sarah "Barracuda" Palin's appearances at the Republican National Convention.
    (The Republican vice presidential nominee earned the nickname for her aggressive basketball playing in high school.)
    "The Republican campaign did not ask for permission to use the song, nor would they have been granted that permission," the band said in a statement
    Wednesday. "We have asked the Republican campaign publicly not to use our music. We hope our wishes will be honored."
    Universal Music Publishing and Sony BMG also sent a cease and desist notice to the campaign, according to CNN.

But after the song was played again following Sen. John McCain's speech Thursday, band member Nancy Wilson expressed outrage.
    "I feel completely f--ked over," she told EW.com Friday.
    Nancy and her sister Ann e-mailed EW.com:
    "Sarah Palin's views and values in NO WAY represent us as American women. We ask that our song 'Barracuda' no longer be used to promote her image. The song 'Barracuda' was written in the late '70s as a scathing rant against the soulless, corporate nature of the music business, particularly for women. (The 'barracuda' represented the business.) While Heart did not and would not authorize the use of their song at the RNC, there's irony in Republican strategists' choice to make use of it there."
    In August, Van Halen slammed McCain after he used their tune "Right Now" during an appearance in Ohio. "Permission was not sought or granted nor would it have been given," the band told TMZ.com.
    Barack Obama has also faced music controversy. Brooks & Dunn's tune "Only in America" played after his Democratic National Convention speech, though the same song was used at President Bush's 2000 inauguration and after Dick Cheney's speech at the 2004 convention speech.

Usmagazine.com | News - Sarah Palin Sent Legal Letter by "Barracuda" Singers
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

What's the big CHicago station, WLS or something?

Either way, they can't stop anyone from playing the music if the ASCAP fees have been paid.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Sic the RIAA on them!
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

They had a lot of talent. Its too bad no one can remember them as they were in the seventies, before poor Ann lost her already tenuous grasp on her weight and grew like a mushroom, shortly followed by a plethora of cheesy ballads.

Their early albums were really kickass.

(Like unicorns)
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I was a Heart fan before, and am very happy to still be one now. Good for them!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

The one in the black looks like Britney Spears.
    "The most important question in all of human kind is..... would you hit it or not?" ~potato_chips

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    Ann you should be lucky anyone sings your songs.

btw have you heard yourself lately? Carrie Underwood sang you under the table.. pa cha!
    Really? I saw them in concert a week or so ago, she sounded amazing, and I heard several people around me say the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    They had a lot of talent. Its too bad no one can remember them as they were in the seventies, before poor Ann lost her already tenuous grasp on her weight and grew like a mushroom,
    Umm, what does her weight have to do with her talent?

and I agree that if the fees are paid, musicians probably can't prevent a song from being used, but I'm assuming that's why singers and bands make these public statements, so no one thinks they support a particular candidate. Van Halen said when they asked for their song Right Now not to be used that it wasn't a Demo/Repub issue, it was that Van Halen is a band, not a political tool, and doesn't want anyone using their songs. And I can see why bands would feel that way...sadly many people are too lazy to form their own opinions, research the candidates and the issues, so they think if Oprah/Springsteen/Clooney support a candidate, and they like and respect Oprah/Springsteen/Clooney, then that's who they should vote for. Except Springsteen didn't endorse the candidate, the candidate is only using his music, and now Springsteen fans on some level thing that he supports McCain, only he is a rabid Demo. (That's only an example, I have no idea what Bruce thinks about politics, LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by irishpig View Post
    Umm, what does her weight have to do with her talent?
    LOL)
    Its not about her talent. Thats the point...no one took them seriously after she committed the unforgivable sin of female rock and became *gasp* not hot.

Its a shame, too. They're one of my all time favorite bands
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Lola, I'm pretty sure Ann Wilson has bariatric surgery a while back. Looks like she is gaining the weight back. I have always loved Heart. Too bad there was all the focus on Ann's weight problem.

from wikipedia:
    "Ann adopted her daughter Marie in 1991 and her son Dustin in 1998. She underwent a weight-loss surgery called Adjustable gastric band in January 2002[1] after what she calls "a lifelong battle" with her weight."
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Even at the height of their fame, Ann has never been a skinny minnie. At her smallest she always looked "thick" next to Nancy. Not that it mattered so much back then. They were (and still are) awesome sounding and had/have a huge following. But I would expect anyone who didn't grow up with them or mostly listens to popular music that has been made in the last decade would probably prefer someone like Carrie Underwood. I don't even put her in the same ballpark as Heart, frankly. She's a totally different kind of performer and more representative of what music is about today.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

maybe they can't stop the right-wing taliban from using their songs, but they sure as hell can make it known that they take issue with it and that they in no way agree with the values the repukes stand for. good for them.
    the repukes should stick to the shitty talentless country musicians that are the only 'artists' that actually vote for them.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Bronze Member

Very well said Sputnik!!!

they should use a dixie chicks song ha!

^ lol, if the repugs tried that I would lol to the end of time.

I would love to see Natalie's reaction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information