Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Health care: A value, not a right

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    My boyfriend, who is one of the smartest people I know, has to pay for his own healtcare out of pocket. Fortunately for him, he's a software engineer, he's healthy, young and able to afford to pay for it. He pays over $150 per month. But, he's a lucky one.

Also, think about it. Next time you get your hair done, ask your stylist if they have healthcare...chances are they don't unless they're married and their spouse has it. Or ask a realtor. A lot of realtors are going without because the real estate agencies are franchises of the big names you see. They are owned by one or two small business owners who can't afford to offer their employees healthcare.
    I think you'll find that the $150 is only a very small part of what his insurance actually costs. I would bet his employer picks up most of the tab.......because $150 won't even purchase dental care in most states....and you are in California....

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    I think you'll find that the $150 is only a very small part of what his insurance actually costs. I would bet his employer picks up most of the tab.......because $150 won't even purchase dental care in most states....and you are in California....
    No, he's self employed. That's what he pays just to have a plan that covers the basics. Because he's a relatively young man with no real risks yet a lot of the bigger insurers are starting to offer these plans to men. It basically allows him to see a doctor without a hassle, but the plan covers very little, especially when it comes to diagnostics. If he has the flu or a sinus infection or breaks his arm, it's great. Anything beyond that, we might be in trouble.

ETA - Neither of us have dental - we pay cash for our dental. I'm lucky because I've never had a cavity. Our dentist is great.

^^Insurance is very screwy, I have it with my employer....but it is basically the opposite of your boyfriend. I pretty much have to have a brain tumor before it is even worth filing a claim.....it does tend to discourage one from going to the doctor unless one sees a massive problem.....

Eventually, medical care will be like it used to be....only the rich will be able to afford medical care and the rest of us will die at home.....

^^My bf's mom is a hairstylist and her salon doesn't offer insurance so she has to have her own. She pretty much has a catastrophic policy...basically for hospitalization and the big stuff, like a brain tumor. If it's something small, she either won't go or will go to one of the urgent care clinics and pay cash. We have a lot of really nice urgent care facilities in SoCal. At her age (late 50's) regular medical coverage is about $600 per month. Even with my boyfriend helping her, it still has a very high deductible and co-pay.

It does suck....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information