Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Has America as a nation jumped the shark?

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    I've just been reading a book on the Age of Enlightenment and it does seem that we are in now in some era diametrically opposed to that. My daughter suggests the Age of Derp.
    This is so true. Somewhere along the way, most people stopped loving learning and growing intellectually. And now its gone 360 in the opposite direction, and now intellectualism is being sneered at. At Palin's little speech at the Teabag 'Convention' she actually said 'We need a Commander in Chief, not a Professor at Law standing at the lecturn." And the crowd roared at that- they loved that line.

Quote Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
    The other thing I find disturbing is the "I've got mine" mentality. The land of opportunity has turned into the land of grab all the money you can even if you have to step on others to do it. There's a large class of tacky nouveau riche in this country and they are some of the most selfish people you'd ever meet. A prime example is Sarah Palin herself. She and Todd have been doing illegal, unethical things for years and they have amassed real estate and personal property (even before the VP pick) that far exceed what their reported income could possibly buy. But her followers don't seem to have a problem with this. The cost of living in AK is high and there is no way they could have a large house, cabins, snow machines, workshops, trucks, and all that on their reported income. Even the cost of upkeep on all that stuff is very high. She is the epitome of the new American attitude of opportunistic money grabbing.
    I find this really disturbing too. I hadn't really thought that about Palin, but you're so right. I don't know how you get people to quit being so damned selfish. Like how in the world do you incentivise selflessness? It seems like we are almost going to have to figure out a way, in order to get those people to stop living their lives that way.

Quote Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
    I agree that a lot of older people are stuck in the past, but I don't think the younger people are doing anything of substance. They're too busy twittering, Myspacing, and making asses of themselves. Even though more people are getting college degrees, I think they're still stupid about basic things - a lot of young people can't even spell or write well. Well-spoken, thoughtful and considerate young people are rare.
    That's just not true. The Obama campaign was pretty much RUN by the younger generation, at both the staff and volunteeer level. Except for a small inner circle, probably 95% of the staff was under 35 or 40. Probably 70% were under 25. And most of those people were out changing the world before the campaign, and continue to do so after.

Quote Originally Posted by oltifreakinbaby View Post
    But not everybody who's "young" wants health care reform. Actually, a majority of the people I interact with don't like the idea of it. I don't think age has much to do with it.
    Just wait until they are kicked off their parents' health care plans once they turn 25 or graduate college, and then find themselves unable to land a job. Then they'll change their tune REAL quick.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I agree. There have been times when I've looked at the field and said 'no way, no one gets my vote'. I know there are some countries where the ballot will give you the option of voting 'nothing' so to speak.
    Just curious- what happens if you don't vote? and do you have the option of doing a write-in candidate, like say Mickey Mouse, if you dont want to vote for anyone on the ballot but are forced to vote?

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

hey guess what; The USA Gross National Product is still 5 times greater than that of China's (2nd highest in the world) and Japan's (3rd highest in the world) COMBINED!

China's economy surpasses Japan's in second quarter - Wikinews, the free news source

YEah.. and both countries own about 3/4 of your debt
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The United States won't really jump the shark until Cousin Oliver becomes president.

For foreign investors like China and Japan, the U.S. is such a large customer it is allowed to run a huge tab so it will keep buying exports.
    we're so strong, that we are able/allowed to carry that kind of debt.

The bottom line is that the large Federal debt will ultimately slow the U.S. economy.
    BLAST!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    It does kinda seem that way from the outside...like everything is just spinning out of control
    America (as a whole) is in full blown denial.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    The United States won't really jump the shark until Cousin Oliver becomes president.

Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

where we go, the whole world follows.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    where we go, the whole world gets dragged along.
    fixed
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

oh come on now! Just because 1 country jumps off the Brooklyn Bridge doesn't mean other countries have to!

But they will though! Because the powerful tug of America's might and fury will take everyone down with it!

I think our sad pathetic little country jumped the shark sometime in the 90s. It went from a government to a business, and now we're just screwed. And I can't even go to Canada now because they ruined Degrassi!
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

What was there to ruin? I hated that thing since the beginning. What was that anyway? 1979? 1980?
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Nooo, the next generation! It was so good, and then it got bad, and now they've totally trashed it.
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

Default sorry, I have an American attention span

lol what country are we talking about now?

Blame Canada!!!

You know what? I want to move to Canada now because this thing exists there:

The US can't even compare to this shit.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information