Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Has America as a nation jumped the shark?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I love how all the references to american glory are from 60+ years ago.

Telling.
    No,Igmo! Those people's children carry right on-as well as the new people arriving daily. Mostly fleeing Canadian foot cutter-offers.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by baked_tater View Post
    Foriegners are still immigrating, legal and illegally. Thats not sixty years ago, thats now. More than ever, people still want to live in America. Or they wouldnt come here.
    Yeah, they're still buying into the myth from 60 years ago
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Yes. Way back in 1973..been downhill ever since. Old news. We are in (and have been for some time now) in the post-shark-jumping era. The "American Century" ended in 1972..not sure when exactly the beginning was. I have a feeling the next country to 'have a century' will be China..may have started already.
    This.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Yeah, but from the outside i can eat popcorn
    If the US implodes, no place is safe (especially Canada).

I think we've got some troubles and a lot of crazy, but it isn't as bad as it was during the Great Depression. In fact, what we are seeing is Great Depression lite (with Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, and the other loonies playing the part of Father Coughlin.

Charles Coughlin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Elite Member

I think we're definitely fractured, perhaps irrevocably. Those that voted for Obama are ready to embrace the new America, and the rest are still living in the past and dream of a new Reagan because there's some widespread fantasy about the 80's being the greatest period in recent history.

The other thing I find disturbing is the "I've got mine" mentality. The land of opportunity has turned into the land of grab all the money you can even if you have to step on others to do it. There's a large class of tacky nouveau riche in this country and they are some of the most selfish people you'd ever meet. A prime example is Sarah Palin herself. She and Todd have been doing illegal, unethical things for years and they have amassed real estate and personal property (even before the VP pick) that far exceed what their reported income could possibly buy. But her followers don't seem to have a problem with this. The cost of living in AK is high and there is no way they could have a large house, cabins, snow machines, workshops, trucks, and all that on their reported income. Even the cost of upkeep on all that stuff is very high. She is the epitome of the new American attitude of opportunistic money grabbing.

I would agree that the US is not what she used to be. However, since we still have those pesky nukes, I wouldn't write us off quite yet. Frankly, the main problems are that we no longer value education and we don't make anything any more. I don't see either of those things changing much, so we will suffer for the next generations with the eternally stupid and the chasm between those who vote against their own self-interest and those who are laughing at them growing.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Nukes won't make your country better.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I agree, but it still makes the US very relevant, so not quite over that shark. We may be revved up with the tow line taut, but I don't think we've hit the ramp yet. And coupled with that eternally stupid comment I made, a little scary too.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll

Quite frankly, things would be a lot better and social progress would be a lot easier if the two oldest generations would just die off already.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Quite frankly, things would be a lot better and social progress would be a lot easier if the two oldest generations would just die off already.
    DEATH PANELS!!!

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    How old are you?

I agree that a lot of older people are stuck in the past, but I don't think the younger people are doing anything of substance. They're too busy twittering, Myspacing, and making asses of themselves. Even though more people are getting college degrees, I think they're still stupid about basic things - a lot of young people can't even spell or write well. Well-spoken, thoughtful and considerate young people are rare.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I agree, but it still makes the US very relevant, so not quite over that shark. We may be revved up with the tow line taut, but I don't think we've hit the ramp yet. And coupled with that eternally stupid comment I made, a little scary too.
    Having a stockpile of nukes doesn't make you relevant. It just means you have the power to blow the world up a dozen times over. Russia has the same ability, and so do other nuclear armed nations.

What will keep the U.S. relevant is if we stop lagging behind other industrialized nations in education, economic issues, infrastructure, exports, climate issues and green technology. The U.S. is the one industrialized nation that keeps allowing the lines between church and state to be erased, and for that alone we're jumping the shark, because we're slowly moving from a democracy to a theocracy.

Quote Originally Posted by travelbug View Post
    How old are you?

I agree that a lot of older people are stuck in the past, but I don't think the younger people are doing anything of substance. They're too busy twittering, Myspacing, and making asses of themselves. Even though more people are getting college degrees, I think they're still stupid about basic things - a lot of young people can't even spell or write well. Well-spoken, thoughtful and considerate young people are rare.
    Late 30's, if you must know. My comment is aimed at the fact that millions upon millions of older people are entitlement hogs (skeered that any health care reform might touch their Medicare, skeered that anything done to keep Social Security up and running for the future will touch their piece of the pie--which many paid into only minimally and is actually funded by current workers), yet are socially conservative (against any government initiative that doesn't directly benefit them such as education reform, against gay marriage, anti-abortion, pro-gun, global warming deniers, anti-separation of church and state). Old people are the largest voting group, they get to the polls in force. The AARP is holding this country hostage.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    Having a stockpile of nukes doesn't make you relevant. It just means you have the power to blow the world up a dozen times over. Russia has the same ability, and so do other nuclear armed nations.

What will keep the U.S. relevant is if we stop lagging behind other industrialized nations in education, economic issues, infrastructure, exports, climate issues and green technology. The U.S. is the one industrialized nation that keeps allowing the lines between church and state to be erased, and for that alone we're jumping the shark, because we're slowly moving from a democracy to a theocracy.
    Sure, sure, sure, skip over my prior post entirely. Any country that is armed with the capability to blow another country off the map is always going to be relevant in geo-political matters. Therefore, could never have become "jump the shark" foible. Doesn't mean I think we're on the right track, going in the right direction or have our collective priorities and principals anywhere other than up our asses. But since we were specifically talking about the US, I didn't mention other nuke armed countries.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    Sure, sure, sure, skip over my prior post entirely. Any country that is armed with the capability to blow another country off the map is always going to be relevant in geo-political matters. Therefore, could never have become "jump the shark" foible. Doesn't mean I think we're on the right track, going in the right direction or have our collective priorities and principals anywhere other than up our asses. But since we were specifically talking about the US, I didn't mention other nuke armed countries.
    North Korea is a good example of a country that is ONLY relevant because it possesses nukes.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information