Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Has America as a nation jumped the shark?

Hit By Ban Bus!

No. Let me tell you why.

--Senator Scott Brown of Massachusetts took away the 6oth Democratic vote, dashing a filibuster-proof majority by winning the seat of Ted Kennedy, the icon who made a lifetime commitment to healthcare.

***So? Politics as usual. And Ted's life long commitment to healthcare is not something I see any benefits from.

--Healthcare reform is on life support, with a weak endorsement from the president.

*****Healthcare will never be reformed until we quit letting with the most to financially gain make the decisions. Does this mean USA jumped the shark? hardly, it means there are a lot of people who love money in our country, maybe we need to focus on other things.

--Three top intelligence officers testified that it was "certain" our country would suffer an attempted terrorist attack in the next three to six months. Our intelligence is less effective than a google search and our security seems to be playing catch up with terrorists, depending on luck and citizen intervention.

********Our military leaders are always babbling about terrorism, just like military leaders world wide do.

-- The bank/finance industry continues offering gargantuan bonuses to the very ones who led us into this Great Recession.

***********Quit using banks, and quit being a consumer driven human, then this ceases to be a problem. It doesnt mean my country has jumped the shark, though.

-- The stock market has been dropping for four straight weeks and a double-dip recession seems imminent as Europe goes into economic crisis.

*******888Good, it needs to be shut down entirely and a new system put in place. Stock market is corrupt.

-- Foreclosures remain up; unemployment hovers at 10 percent; small businesses continue closing at a high rate.

************again not the country's fault, but the greedy has to live above their means citizens that bought obviously inflated homes in the first place.

-- With an upcoming deficit of 1.3 trillion dollars, Moody's investor service may reduce the US government's triple A rating in the next decade without a major cut back of the deficit or a faster than expected recovery.

*******Quit living by using credit. Barter more, be more self sufficient. It is 110 percent possible in my country.

-- We remain in two wars, with no clear end in sight. Iraq has once again heated up with suicide bombers. Pakistan is tottering -with nuclear bombs at the ready -- and North Korea remains lethal and uncommunicative.

***************Our world is a world driven by war, not just my country.

-- We seem unable or unwilling to broker a peace between Israel and Palestine.

-- The 24/7 media rarely digs beneath the headlines and focuses on sex and celebs du jour over meaningful reporting.

***********why should I want my media doing my research for me? Any information imbibed should be vetted, shame on the lazy mind that eats from the plate of main stream media and regurgitates it as gospel.

-- In a recent Daily Kos poll, much of the Republican party wants to secede, believes Obama is not a citizen and that he should be impeached.

***************cause they are racist pigs not because my country jumped the shark

-- The caliber of our leaders is astoundingly weak. Snarky Sarah ("palm points") Palin has not ruled out running for president in 2012 and has a steady fan base of maybe 20 percent of the Republican party. And the last two Democratic vice-presidential candidates are now reviled by their own party.

*****************Maybe it is the dumb ass extremists who feed the Palin machine that have jumped the shark.

-- Republican Senator Richard Shelby from Alabama has been able to hold up all the president's 70 current government appointees because of his pique about local pork.

*************Good for him, fighting for his piece of the pork pie. It is what he was elected to do.

--The Republicans remain unwavering obstructionists; the Democrats, even with a broad Congressional majority and a still-popular president, remain spineless.

********Same Old Same Old, and its the same in other countries too.

-- The Supreme Court's surprising ruling that corporations can spend unlimited amounts on campaign financing assures that the spinelessness and debt to the corporate interests will not only continue, but increase.

*********Individual greed, not my country.

This is still a wonderful country and I am living a mighty fine life here. I don't know what the author of this article was thinking. Go move somewhere else if you have to live according to Hollywood standards. Jumping the shark is subjective.

^ yeah, see, all those answers are kind of... dumb
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I've just been reading a book on the Age of Enlightenment and it does seem that we are in now in some era diametrically opposed to that. My daughter suggests the Age of Derp.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

Idiocracy is in full swing
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Yeah, she keeps telling me I need to see that.
    "But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

A*O

Not sure if it's quite the End Of Days for the US yet but there has been a huge shift in public confidence. Some would say that's not a bad thing as in the past the US has seemed a little, shall we say, cocky about its place in the world, ie Number One ra ra ra. The current financial crisis and its impact has come as a real shock to people who assumed that the status quo would last forever.

I do believe that China is now in the ascendency, especially as its hardline communist facade slips away to reveal a healthy capitalist heart driving the economy again. As the last generation of Mao's ideological descendants dies out and the new generation of 21st century entrepreneurs takes its place China will become the new land of opportunity. It already is.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

it will also be the new land of horrors, given their track record on environmental issues.

also, as their population becomes more educated they will want more money for the work they do.. they might start outsourcing to cheaper, western countries

Elite Member

That loss of confidence and sense that perhaps we (the US) are no longer the best is precisely what makes people like Palin and other retards more attractive to some people. She steadfastly refuses to acknowledge that things have changed. That's very reassuring for some people, even though it's wrongheaded and ultimately won't help the US find its way.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I do believe that China is now in the ascendency, especially as its hardline communist facade slips away to reveal a healthy capitalist heart driving the economy again. As the last generation of Mao's ideological descendants dies out and the new generation of 21st century entrepreneurs takes its place China will become the new land of opportunity. It already is.
    Unfortunately for China, hardline communism has been replaced by hardline nationalism, all carefully orchestrated by the government. Tantamount to FoxNews being in charge of the U.S. government, instead of just yammering from the sidelines. And the vast majority of people living in China have their news carefully filtered for them by the Great Firewall of China.

A*O

You are right but here we get into deeper waters and have to talk about cultural as well as national identity. China society has always been an oligarchy, ie, a huge majority of "peasants" and a tiny "ruling class" culminating in either the Emperor and his court or more recently the Chairman of the Communist Party and his cadre of acolytes. In reality there's very little difference between the two. Chinese society has never been "free" in the western sense and so it doesn't occur to people to ask questions. They just accept and do as they are told. It's one of the reasons communism has survived and why the Old Guard are so terrified of western influences because it will open the younger generation's eyes and make them realise how suppressed they still are. Meanwhile the Chinese Govt censors Google LOL
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

I don't think any of you should make plans to attend the funeral yet.
    Our country is made up of immigrants from all of your countries. You have sent us those tired,poor & huddled masses. They have flouished here. Remember WWII, when the Japanese sent a spy here to assess the situation? He attended a football game-for some reason I am recalling Seattle-and reported back "They cannot be beaten. Don't try". Or words to that effect. He was ignored of course. Doubters, replay the Superbowl game. Backs to the wall, we can and will unite. We are generous to a fault, we need course correction a bit. We can't be counted out. If it becomes necessary, we will make shark soup and serve it up with fries. Spiced by some different spice from every single country out there. I have confidence in us.
    I think I hear the Star Spangled Banner playing in the background,now. My opinion.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I love how all the references to american glory are from 60+ years ago.

Telling.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Our country is made up of immigrants from all of your countries. You have sent us those tired,poor & huddled masses. They have flouished here. Remember WWII, when the Japanese sent a spy here to assess the situation? He attended a football game-for some reason I am recalling Seattle-and reported back "They cannot be beaten. Don't try". Or words to that effect. He was ignored of course. Doubters, replay the Superbowl game. Backs to the wall, we can and will unite. We are generous to a fault, we need course correction a bit. We can't be counted out. If it becomes necessary, we will make shark soup and serve it up with fries. Spiced by some different spice from every single country out there. I have confidence in us.
    I think I hear the Star Spangled Banner playing in the background,now. My opinion.
    *SNIFF* Oh stop it, I'm tearing up here

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I love how all the references to american glory are from 60+ years ago.

Telling.
    Foriegners are still immigrating, legal and illegally. Thats not sixty years ago, thats now. More than ever, people still want to live in America. Or they wouldnt come here.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I'm not writing America's eulogy yet. Americans have a great ability to bounce back when we work together. But Americans have to be willing to make the sacrifices that are needed to be sure that we as a country do bounce back. And Americans have to be willing to work together as a nation to do it. With the economy the way it is a lot of people aren't worried about 'we,' instead they're focused on 'me.'

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information