Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Haley Barbour doesn’t recall civil rights era being ‘that bad’

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    It's been almost 50 years, I think quite a bit has changed in the south since 1962. I've heard a rumour they desegregated.
    Yes, I'm sure a lot has changed in 50 years. However I never said I hated everyone from the south. I saw how the blacks were treated after Katrina. I know racism exists everywhere. I will take the word of everyone who lives there and says it's changed. It was changed kicking and screaming. Just how I feel. I've never been rude to anyone from the south, just have no desire to go back.
    Oh, I offended you with my opinion? You should hear the ones I keep to myself.

There's so much racism, but from all races, in the mid-South area. I mean I totally get it, but the whole situation just grosses me out. It's toxic and at this point it just seems like leftover resentment on both sides rather than legitimate bigotry. I wish it would all just stop.
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

BigBen coming from another state to south MS, it's a mutual effort. It's different than California, for sure, have been here about a year and a half and still adjusting.

And I wouldn't vote for Haley. Mississippi comes in dead last in just about everything, and people are actually considering him to run the country? Good ole boy I thought was just in the movies, til I got here. Just, wow.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Oh yeah, definitely a mutual effort. Everybody hates everybody else, not one-sided at all and I think it's even harder to break the cycle when everybody's doing it like that. So sad.

Good ol' boys thrive down there, man. I was denied jobs and apartments for being a gay woman because of that mentality. It's why we got the hell out of there!
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by nana51 View Post
    Yes, I'm sure a lot has changed in 50 years. However I never said I hated everyone from the south. I saw how the blacks were treated after Katrina. I know racism exists everywhere. I will take the word of everyone who lives there and says it's changed. It was changed kicking and screaming. Just how I feel. I've never been rude to anyone from the south, just have no desire to go back.
    Nana, I get what you're saying. I'm southern. My family has been southern for a long, long time. I wasn't insulted by your comments at all, because after Katrina who in the hell can claim the south isn't racist?

I don't think we'd have national politicians like Sarah Palin, from far flung states, if they didn't receive so much support from southern voters with so much misplaced pride in their illusions of heritage.

It's all a reaction to the Civil Rights laws of the 60s. The right wing still can't deal with it.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

We don't have any racists north of the Mason-Dixon line. No sir, not us. Not a one. Willie Turk, Yusuf Hawkins, Michael Griffin, Amadou Diallo- must all have been killed in the south and had their bodies dumped in NYC.

The Boston busing debacle- that must have been right wing southern racists. Surely, no democrats from the northeast would ever have behaved that way. Everyone knows that South Boston, Roxbury and Dorchester are right wing strongholds.

To be prejudiced against southerners is one of the two remaining forms of acceptable prejudice. (The other is against Christians.)

And a big part of Katrina/racism that people skip over is that classism was as much a part of it as racism. No one gives a fuck about poor people, no matter what color their skin is.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

And a big part of Katrina/racism that people skip over is that classism was as much a part of it as racism. No one gives a fuck about poor people, no matter what color their skin is.
    Can't argue with that.

Yes, the worst race riots in the country were always in the north. When I first left the south, I was shocked at the casual use of racial epitaphs by the northerners around me, and the obvious hostility.

But is Sarah Palin touring the North East or getting her bloated speaker fees from the North West?

Nope, she's making hay in the south. Whenever some stupid, right winger wants to garner loud public support, they come south. Think of all the bad presidents we could have avoided if the south wasn't lost in a toxic nostalgia for Old Times Not Forgotten.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

@BigBen - Harrison County is much much more conservative than Northern California was. One of the first things many people ask is what church I attend. I put a coexist bumper sticker on my car just to give the right people the middle finger.

My daughter's best friend down here has two moms, they're great people but they worry about repercussions from some of the people that haven't progressed forward much in a while. They were pretty hesitant to say anything to me but I asked directly (I don't do southern style talk in circles very well lol) after my daughter was invited to a sleepover. Told them I didn't care but didn't want to make assumptions, wanted to be prepared if my daughter had questions. Turns out my daughter already knew and just didn't care. We had discussed that specifically (women married to women/men married to men) while we lived in California and there were rabid protests going on about Prop 8.
    Witchcurl my husband was treated like an idiot and subjected to stupid stereotypes for being from Mississippi and having a southern accent, for over 10 years in California. Definite prejudice. Then again, now that we've moved here some people here have a huge prejudice against me for being from California.
    Every state has its own flavor I guess.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Quote Originally Posted by olivia View Post
    When I first left the south, I was shocked at the casual use of racial epitaphs by the northerners around me, and the obvious hostility.
    I am frequently shocked by it, and I was born and raised here. Not that people are still stupid enough to be racist- I don't have a high regard for most people in the intelligence category anyway- but that they aren't ashamed to express it.

I would never say that the south has no racists, but we really do have (more than) our share up here. I think the difference is that it's slightly more hidden and not historically institutional like it was in the south.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Yeah. I guess he will try and run for President and is still trying to revise his past history with a thing or two.

Mississippi Officially Begins Harvesting Organs of Prisoners

Mississippi Officially Begins Harvesting Organs of Prisoners

Mississippi governor Haley Barbour has commuted the life sentences of Jamie and Gladys Scott, two sisters who were convicted of armed robbery in 1994. With one small condition.

USA Today reports:

Gladys Scott was released on the condition that she donate a kidney to her 38-year-old sister, who requires daily dialysis.

In a statement, Barbour said, "the Mississippi Department of Corrections believes the sisters no longer pose a threat to society. Their incarceration is no longer necessary for public safety or rehabilitation, and Jamie Scott's medical condition creates a substantial cost to the State of Mississippi."

Mississippi saves money. The NAACP praises the hell out of Haley Barbour. And Haley Barbour is able to satisfy his natural and inherent need to help black people, which exists in him independent of any outside political considerations. And Gladys Scott is (kidney) free!

Here is a different article about the same topic. It is a mite bit more in depth.

Miss. Gov. Barbour Suspends Life Sentences of Scott Sisters Jailed for $11 Robbery | The Afro-American Newspapers | Your Community. Your History. Your News.

Miss. Gov. Barbour Suspends Life Sentences of Scott Sisters Jailed for $11 Robbery

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour on Dec. 29 suspended the life sentences of two sisters jailed for an armed robbery that netted just $11—but the release of one sister will require her to donate a kidney to the other.

“To date, the sisters have served 16 years of their sentences and are eligible for parole in 2014. Jamie Scott requires regular dialysis, and her sister has offered to donate one of her kidneys to her,” Barbour said in a prepared statement, according to The Hattiesburg American. “The Mississippi Department of Corrections believes the sisters no longer pose a threat to society. Their incarceration is no longer necessary for public safety or rehabilitation, and Jamie Scott’s medical condition creates a substantial cost to the State of Mississippi.”

According to The American, in 1993 the sisters lured two men down a road where they were robbed by three teens. The Scott sisters were convicted of robbery with a deadly weapon in the incident and each received reportedly unusual double life prison sentences. The teenagers who allegedly carried out the robbery only served two years in prison.

Barbour’s statement said that he asked the Mississippi Parole Board to review the Scott’s case, and that they supported his decision to suspend their sentences.

According to the Associated Press, the sisters have received support from national groups including the NAACP. A march for them earlier this year drew hundreds of people.

A release date for the sisters has not been decided, and will be set by the Mississippi Department of Corrections, according to Jackson, Miss. NBC affiliate WLBT.

I went down south in 1962 when I was 12. I come from Winnipeg, Canada. There were VERY few blacks then or now in Winnipeg. My father owned a plastering Company and one of his friends was a black guy who also owned a plastering Company. This wasn't a "I have a black best friend" guy either. When we moved to California he and his wife twice came to visit. The point is I never thought much about race one way or the other until we his down south. I will NEVER go back and never want to. My eyes were opened so wide and I was so sad and disappointed in what I saw, I have a hard time to this day even listening to a Southern accent. We drove all the way to New Orleans and were there for 6 weeks. Yuck. Disgusting how man treats there fellow man.
    Seriously? I understand it was tramatic and all but not all of us are fucking racist.
    It's been almost 50 years, I think quite a bit has changed in the south since 1962. I've heard a rumour they desegregated.
    No fucking way!
    Quote Originally Posted by nancydrew View Post
    Yeah because we still burn crosses and have separate water fountains in the south right? Yeah racism and bigotry still exists here, but it exists EVERYWHERE else too. I cannot tell you how ignorant it is to think that every person "with a southern accent" is a hateful racist. Isn't it in the same vein to hate people with a southern accent as it is to hate people of another race? Not the same, I know, but its unfounded hate all the same.

Yay! My first GR rant.
    Girl I just stood up and applauded! Rant more often.

We don't have any racists north of the Mason-Dixon line. No sir, not us. Not a one. Willie Turk, Yusuf Hawkins, Michael Griffin, Amadou Diallo- must all have been killed in the south and had their bodies dumped in NYC.

The Boston busing debacle- that must have been right wing southern racists. Surely, no democrats from the northeast would ever have behaved that way. Everyone knows that South Boston, Roxbury and Dorchester are right wing strongholds.

To be prejudiced against southerners is one of the two remaining forms of acceptable prejudice. (The other is against Christians.)

I agree 100%! I won't lie and say racism doesn't exist in the south because it does, but ignorance is abundent in more places than just here. If I for one second said I hated to hear a yankee accent I would automatically be branded a fucking racist, so excuse me if Nana's little rant pissed me off. We can't change the past all we can do is try to be better than what came before us, but people that know nothing about us still want to brand us as racist so how the fuck can we ever change our image?
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Silver Member

Southern racism is usually wrapped up on patriotic rhetoric and regional pride which is why the racist politicians always have a firm ground to stand on in the South.

I went down south in 1962 when I was 12. I come from Winnipeg, Canada. There were VERY few blacks then or now in Winnipeg. My father owned a plastering Company and one of his friends was a black guy who also owned a plastering Company. This wasn't a "I have a black best friend" guy either. When we moved to California he and his wife twice came to visit. The point is I never thought much about race one way or the other until we his down south. I will NEVER go back and never want to. My eyes were opened so wide and I was so sad and disappointed in what I saw, I have a hard time to this day even listening to a Southern accent. We drove all the way to New Orleans and were there for 6 weeks. Yuck. Disgusting how man treats there fellow man.
    A. Good. We don't want your ass here.
    B. You're just as bad as any southern racist.
    Quote Originally Posted by nancydrew View Post
    Yeah because we still burn crosses and have separate water fountains in the south right? Yeah racism and bigotry still exists here, but it exists EVERYWHERE else too. I cannot tell you how ignorant it is to think that every person "with a southern accent" is a hateful racist. Isn't it in the same vein to hate people with a southern accent as it is to hate people of another race? Not the same, I know, but its unfounded hate all the same.

Yay! My first GR rant.
    Good for you. Nana just cloaks her prejudices differently than the bigots in the south.
    I'll call bullshit on that.

This. If I say the same thing, I'm just covering for obvious racists. It's ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    Seriously? I understand it was tramatic and all but not all of us are fucking racist.

No fucking way!
    Girl I just stood up and applauded! Rant more often.

I agree 100%! I won't lie and say racism doesn't exist in the south because it does, but ignorance is abundent in more places than just here. If I for one second said I hated to hear a yankee accent I would automatically be branded a fucking racist, so excuse me if Nana's little rant pissed me off. We can't change the past all we can do is try to be better than what came before us, but people that know nothing about us still want to brand us as racist so how the fuck can we ever change our image?
    The image won't change because it makes people feel better about themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pojo View Post
    Southern racism is usually wrapped up on patriotic rhetoric and regional pride which is why the racist politicians always have a firm ground to stand on in the South.
    Yeah and what is the Northern racism wrapped in? Deep fried dog shit?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information