Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: GOP strategist: Palin's clothing allowance fine; Obama flying to grandma 'outrageous'

I have no real issue with Palin's clothing issue - it's as frivolous as she is, but perhaps she could have used some of that time to read the CONSTITUTION and learn what the job she is campaigning for actually entails.

There is absolutely no allowance for the Secret Service to accompany a Presidential candidate 11 (oh thank god) days before the election on a commercial flight. That would entail closing and clearing the ENTIRE airports at both ends and all stops in between. The fact that ANYONE is trying to compare Palin's clothes to Obama visiting his grandmother shows an entire lack of common sense argument skills. I don't know if Obama reimburses his own campaign for the flight or not, and I'm not sure there's been a report either way. But campaign funds have been donated to the Obama campaign - presumably to be used in the best interests of electing Obama. People give money to the RNC to help the RNC platform candidates get elected nationwide. Different entities, different purposes.

Elite Member

Think about this - give Palin 10 suits at $2000/suit (and those would be VERY nice suits) and 5 pairs of shoes at $500/pair (very nice shoes) and the total is $22,500. Add in 10 blouses at $500 each (very nice blouses) and the total would be $27,500. Add in 3 or 4 coats at $1000 each and now you're at around $30,000.

Now WTH did she spend all the rest of the money on? I can't even imagine. That's why people have a problem with this.

My guess (and this is only a guess) is that part of that $150,000 went to stylist consultation fees. That's the only thing I can think of that gets the total that high, even if you throw in a couple suits for Todd and a few clothes for the kids.

Some people are desperate to find a reason to point the finger at Obama. See, at this point, any issue, rgardless of how trivial, can be used as a distraction from the fact McCain is incompetent and his running mate is an idiot.

If Obama called his wife a cunt, would it be ok? Noooooooooooo....but it' ok if McCain does it.

Palin has ripped off one state and is now pilfering from the national pockets.

I guess Bush should fly coach as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    There is absolutely no allowance for the Secret Service to accompany a Presidential candidate 11 (oh thank god) days before the election on a commercial flight. That would entail closing and clearing the ENTIRE airports at both ends and all stops in between.
    Really? Because I remember Al Gore flying commercial with Secret Service agents on a short flight to get back to DC so he could make a tie-breaking vote in the Senate and neither airport was closed. But considering Obama is going straight from campaigning to Hawaii back to campaigning right afterward, it would take more time for him to get back on the campaign trail by flying commercial. Something that doesn't make a whole lot of sense given how many stops he's going to be making before Nov 4th.

Elite Member

Default re

Oh, so it's okay to spend campaign on certain things that don't involve the campaign in any way, you just have to be Obama to do so.
    I gotcha.

And I highly doubt he will reimburse the money. He still hasn't reimbursed the illegal donations that federal officals ordered him to return.
    Well, I don't think I said or implied that, and I don't really think you "got" (understood) what I was trying to say. Please don't put words in my mouth. I tried to respect your opinion.

^^ Your probably right, my memory ain't what it used to be, but you may have heard some folks say that we now live in a post 9/11 world.

^No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Some of you are just too funny. If you see one attack against Obama is just can' be true.

The ironic thing is, it's okay for him to use campaign funds to fly to Hawaii, all that gas..gone. Whereas, Palin's clothes can be used for years.
    Seems a little ass-backwards if you ask me.

And I don't think the GOP is saying that him going to see his dying grandmother is bad. They are saying he can fly coach on a major airline to get there.

Let it have been McCain in this position. There would be a 50 page thread of full on bitching.
    That's just a weak point. Period. And I don't think anybody would bash McCain if he took the campaign plane to see his dying mother.

The only reason that Republicans are making an issue of Obama using the campaign plane to go see his dying grandmother is to distract from the fact that they spent $150,000 of campaign cash on Palin's clothes. Which is funny, since McCain said years ago that campaign contributions shouldn't be used for things like clothes.

And, yeah, the GOP has been trashing Obama for 'going to see grandma.' But the only people that seem to be making an issue of Obama using the plane to go see his grandmother are the GOP, not Obama supporters.

I am an Obama supporter but I see where Sweetie is coming from on this. If the law says money raised for campaings cannot be used for personal use then that covers Palin's clothes and Obama's personal flights. Fair is fair even if the situations are very different. However, at this point we have no idea if Obama is paying the cost himself or if he is taking the expenses from his campaing. If he was smart he would have set up an event to attend while in Hawaii and all bases would have been covered. But then the republicans would have bitched that he used his sickly grandma.

^^But Obama would still have had to use campaign cash to take a commercial flight to pay for the Secret Service detail that would have had to come along with him.

And I still don't see it as 'fair is fair.' Obama's situation is a family emergency, Palin's clothes aren't. But I'm curious as why the GOP didn't make an issue of using the campaign plane when Palin went back to Alaska a while back. That had nothing to do with the campaign or a family emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    And I still don't see it as 'fair is fair.' Obama's situation is a family emergency, Palin's clothes aren't.
    It was an emergency. She needed clothes.

OMG what is she wearing???

hookerboots?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Interesting way how she is holding poor little Trig.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information