Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GOP draws the battle lines: if you're against Palin you are out

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleWasHere View Post
    I actually think this would be a great idea. I get tired of just the two-party system.
    Me too. I think Congress would be a bit more dynamic if there was more than just two parties and a couple of independents. The US hasn't had a new, major political party in quite some time. I think something needs to revitalize the party landscape because both Democratic and Republican parties have heavy corporate ties. The Green party hasn't been able to make much headway nationally.

This election is going to create long lasting changes. There are many dems and repubs who are middle of the road. As one who isn't far left or far right, I've always felt I don't belong in either party. I am too conservative for most dems and much too liberal for repub.

This election is making people question their loyalties versus their beliefs. I hope more parties are formed, catering to those who walk the dividing line.

Elite Member

I'm with you, RIS. I'm open-minded when it comes to social issues. I could less what people do in their private lives. However, I would like to see better use/management of taxpayer money. Both Dems and Repubs fail in that respect. Maybe with a third party, we can hear new opinions and strategies to improve the U.S. economy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    ^^I actually interviewed one the other day, and I was impressed. Really decent guy. And he was convinced that Obama would probably win the election, but he was still trying to get voters to jump Party at the state level and vote for him. And from what he told me Republicans across the board are having a hard time raising campaign contributions.

I thought I was working with one, we've had some pretty intelligent and stimulating political discussions until yesterday she was stupid enough to say to me, "I don't mind gay couples raising children as long as they are not trying to indoctrinate them into that kind of lifestyle." WTF?! People can be trained to be gay?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley Doll View Post
    It seems that the GOP is definitely going to fracture after this election. This is been in the works for at least 15 or so years, when Newt Gingrich came onto the national scene and start going neo-con on us. Really, the seed for this was planted in 1964 with Barry Goldwater being the GOP presidential candidate and continuing with Ronald Reagan's election in 1980. It took a while for things to reaching their boiling point, but they're here.

The neo-cons have strong-armed the GOP away from the moderate/Rockerfeller faction of the party. The moderates are fiscally prudent, but fairly liberal on social issues (abortion, gay rights, etc). They tend to be smart, well-educated, and not so gun-ho about pushing their religious views. They believe in God for the most part, but don't feel compelled to thrust those opinions on others.

Neo-cons are bullies. It's all about pro-choice, pro guns, and being anti-gay. They're stupid when it comes to money and want to push social agendas upon the populace.

I think the moderate GOPers will eventually form their own party and that a faction among the Dems will join them. Moderate Dems and moderate GOPers aren't too far apart in their core beliefs. They could form a strong third political party depending on how all this shapes up.

Excellent post! I agree 100%. I have many friends that are fiscally conservative and are pulled towards the Republican party, but they refuse to be labeled as such because of the crazy neo-con pitbulls which seem to dominate that party. If the extremist Republicans would splinter off, it would be encouraging for the whole Republican party. I'm actually embarrassed for this party and for moderate Republicans; I can't imagine how upset the educated Republicans are about having Palin on the ticket. I think they have made their voices known, however, and I hope that it benefits them in the future. She was a token choice to pander to the extremists and I'm hoping it backfires.
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I thought I was working with one, we've had some pretty intelligent and stimulating political discussions until yesterday she was stupid enough to say to me, "I don't mind gay couples raising children as long as they are not trying to indoctrinate them into that kind of lifestyle." WTF?! People can be trained to be gay?
    That's the way you can really see if a Republican is a moderate or a fundie, start talking about social issues. The guy I talked to blasted the Dems, but he was moderate in his thinking. He was actually willing to vote for one of the Democratic candidates, but that was off the record since he's campaigning as a Republican. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    This election is going to create long lasting changes. There are many dems and repubs who are middle of the road. As one who isn't far left or far right, I've always felt I don't belong in either party. I am too conservative for most dems and much too liberal for repub.

This election is making people question their loyalties versus their beliefs. I hope more parties are formed, catering to those who walk the dividing line.
    Same here.

The litmus test will be: where did you stand on Palin?
    I think that's a great test! And the winners (Palin supporters) should get a one-way ticket to Siberia or some far away, very deserted island. Where their only entertainment options are discussing their beliefs with each other and/or watching Barney DVD's. Only choices.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

My mother was actually swaying towards Obama until the Palin pick. Now she's pro-Palin. Figure that one out. She thinks everyone is just so mean to her, that she's such a good mother, and "one of us". Never anything about her qualifications, her political platform, nothing - just complete idiocy. She thinks that Piper is just "so cute". She is one of those who could care less about McCain but loves Palin without knowing a damn thing about her. I can't believe we're even related sometimes.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

I think the Palinazis are the ones that originally said that they could not vote for McCain but would accept (having a senior moment here, cannot remember his name) the guy from Arkansas that was a Duggar pal. Once he split the scene the Fundie base had no one until Palin.

Actually it would make sense for both parties to splinter into two parties because there are extremists at both ends of the spectrum in both parties. Let the fundies find out how much real non influence they actually wield.

I would dearly love a 3rd party that's viable, the Greens and Indies are not cutting it.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Oops, deleted, wrong thread! january's on crack.

Quote Originally Posted by nwgirl View Post
    And the winners (Palin supporters) should get a one-way ticket to Siberia or some far away, very deserted island.
    Alaska would be fine with me. And they can all secede together.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I would dearly love a 3rd party that's viable, the Greens and Indies are not cutting it.

I think they'd be alot more successful with a republican fracture. And it could work out really well because there would be a stop-gap measure to keep the fundi/nazi types in line. They'd have to work with the fiscals to get anything at all done. And fiscals would have to moderate themselves to please the middle class zealots. It would be a great thing, a whole lot harder to throw massive fraud if we had four or five parties; I think also alot more people would declare as unaffiliated, and then it would be harder to know who to drop from the rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Excellent post! I agree 100%. I have many friends that are fiscally conservative and are pulled towards the Republican party, but they refuse to be labeled as such because of the crazy neo-con pitbulls which seem to dominate that party. If the extremist Republicans would splinter off, it would be encouraging for the whole Republican party. I'm actually embarrassed for this party and for moderate Republicans; I can't imagine how upset the educated Republicans are about having Palin on the ticket. I think they have made their voices known, however, and I hope that it benefits them in the future. She was a token choice to pander to the extremists and I'm hoping it backfires.
    I think the extremists would be better off on their own too. During the Republican convention, I remember a few commentators mentioning that the Republican platform and delegates were more conservative/extreme right-wing than four years ago and the ones in 2004 were more conservative/right-wing than the ones in 2000. Something's got to give. I don't think most of the moderate Republicans want a party platform that is SO extreme. It basically leaves them no room to grow as a party.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

America has had 3rd parties a number of times but they've never really worked out (I'm talking about relatively larger, viable ones). For some reason we yanks don't do coalition governments or the idea of cooperation very well. I've seen it work and not work. Scandinavia does pretty well with coalition governments, where it forces the ruling party to bend on any number of issues. On the other hand, Italy doesn't have such a great track record in this area. It depends on the mindset of the society: are people willing to work together toward a common goal and give a bit on various issues? Or are they hell bent on being right and righteous and unwilling to see any point of view other than their own.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information