Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Google Map showing where Prop 8 support donors live

I'm not advocating it, but it wouldn't break my heart to see any racist, anti-semite, neo nazi, or homophobic bigot get theirs.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    I felt as you did at one time, that anything insensitive to a group was bigotry. After having seen so many instances of people saying something and not knowing why the room became deathly quiet, I realized some people seriously had no clue that what they said was not true and would even be seen as offensive. Those people usually listened to an explanation and upon understanding, realized what they thought wasn't true and their statements were offensive. Once they were given information, they chose to stop.

A bigot is well aware of his bullshit and most of the ones I have come across enjoy hurting other people and being insensitive. They may only say and do things solely for the purpose of hurting others.

So, yes, as a minority, I have learned some people do and say things because they don't know any better and didn't mean any harm. It may piss people off, but what they do after they know the it is bigoted decided whether they are or not.
    Fair enough.

A lot of people don't stop when they get the explanation of why what they said is prejudiced though, and instead go into defensive/offensive mode or just throw a self-pity party. I'd love to think that most people would genuinely change their behaviour is they knew it was hurtful, but I find my faith in humanity in general sadly lacking.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I'm not advocating it, but it wouldn't break my heart to see any racist, anti-semite, neo nazi, or homophobic bigot get theirs.
    Violence breeds violence. While it would be nice to see someone get theirs, as you so put it, someone from the other side would retaliate. Escalation is a given.

While I may disagree with someone, as has happened here, I don't hate or even dislike anyone based on their opinion of a situation, which is why I don't condone violence for any reason. If everyone thought that way, would there be any?

Only when it gets personal will the claws come out, metaphorically speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    Fair enough.

A lot of people don't stop when they get the explanation of why what they said is prejudiced though, and instead go into defensive/offensive mode or just throw a self-pity party. I'd love to think that most people would genuinely change their behaviour is they knew it was hurtful, but I find my faith in humanity in general sadly lacking.
    That is why I have learned to give someone one chance. Usually, the initial reaction will signal whether the intent was to be a douche and say something offensive, or if they really are just too stupid to know what they said was obnoxious.

If they relish the negative reaction, and continue to say and do things just to get that reaction, they at least a-holes. Bigots have hatred at the core of their motivational foundation.

My faith in humanity died a long time ago.

^There is truly no limit to people's doucheyness/stupidity. Sad, but true.

I prefer to call ultra-douches enemas. They take everything in, dirty it, and only give back shit.

^LOL! Points for colourful imagery.

Well, to go on a complete tangent here, I'm glad people did give me the benefit of the doubt and simply set me right when I described someone as "that Paki girl from Flat 12". I had no idea the word was offensive, I thought it was like saying "Brit" instead of "British".

I like your attitude in this, RIS.

Oh good lord
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Yanna, I learned it the hard way, when I dated a man who was of a different culture. I made a comment one day, which I didn't know would be offensive. I wasn't trying to be. Hell, I didn't even know it would be. His mom and brother figured out very quickly I didn't understand what I had done. His mother took me outside and explained everything and let me ask whatever I wanted. I never did it again and still don't let people say stuff like that in my home, because I know now.

Of course, it was at a family holiday gathering, since I have the best luck in the world. This was before his cousin showed up and made a really nasty remark about my culture, which he really did think was a joke.

If I want a second chance, I have to give them, right?

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post

That is why I have learned to give someone one chance. Usually, the initial reaction will signal whether the intent was to be a douche and say something offensive, or if they really are just too stupid to know what they said was obnoxious.

If they relish the negative reaction, and continue to say and do things just to get that reaction, they at least a-holes. Bigots have hatred at the core of their motivational foundation.
    choking on irony...sputter...cough....

*crosses arms and watches*

Another pretzel?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information