Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Google Map showing where Prop 8 support donors live

Yeah, again it's more right wing talking points being repeated by a supposed 'ally'.. the "you're intolerant of my intolerance, that makes you a religious bigot!' argument.

it's asinine!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by RevellingInSane View Post
    A bigot is someone who consciously chooses to hate a group based on perceived differences. To disagree with the way someone lives does not necessarily make them a bigot. While there are homophobes, who admittedly hate gays, just to disagree does not mean they hate the person.

I have seen bigotry towards those who dare have religious beliefs from gays. It does cut both ways.

If violence does erupt, it will only hinder the progression of the movement.
    Really, bigotry is solely determined by intent? So, if I say something ridiculously stereotypical about black people, does it make it less racist because I didn't mean to be offensive or know any better? Because from what I've read from antiracist blog posts/essays online from people of colour, intent doesn't seem all that important-the results are.

Personally, I don't really care where discriminatory behaviour may come from, just the results. Or to be more precise, I do think it's important to know the roots of discrimination accross socioeconomic backgrounds to find the best ways to combat it, but in the end, it doesn't excuse its existence.

Also, religion, unlike sexuality, is still a choice. Not that I'm saying religious persecution is ok, but it's not equivalent to homophobia.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Religion generally hasn't accepted that sexuality is NOT a choice, in spite of growing evidence otherwise. If they do, then they have to admit that god makes gays "that way".
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

^^^^
    and they'd have to admit the bible and thousands of years of dogma are *gasp* wrong.

or they could go on believing that nonsense if they want, i just don't see why they have to go out of their way to mold society at large, and the secular state, to their beliefs.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I went and looked. Having a huge Mormon family, I recognized a lot of names in my area and my parents area. My parents were not on it, I was actually surprised.

because they have a godly mandate to do so. The big sky fairy says THIS IS THE WAY IT MUST BE and these weirdos try and force it.

I'm sure someone will step in and say "Well, gays trying to get married and being out in public holding hands and being on tv and advertisements is shoving THEIR lifestyle on us!"... which is amusing.

Straight people getting married doesn't affect ME in the slightest, so why would gay marriage affect them?

Also do they never stop to think what gay people have to look at in the media each and every day? Happy straight couples with kids frolicking, straights being all sexytimes in Gucci ads, tv shows, radio, internet all mostly geared to straight people. Wtf would they call that?

I don't expect that to stop, and it would be ridiculous to even ask.. but straight nutjobs freak out when they see gay advertising, get all hyped up, call it gross, immoral, WONT SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN (cuz a fashion ad is going to turn your kid gay, right) and all that shit.. GROW UP.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

They have learned not to start about it in front of me because I WILL argue with them about it. I know I "disappoint" them but I have to be true to myself first, and I DON'T BUY IT.

And if my oldest son (who has in the past wondered if he is gay) ever does come to that conclusion, I would cut off my entire family in a heartbeat, if they treated him any differently.

I have overheard people talk about it and it's not that they don't think it's a choice, they think it's a birth defect.

I don't think many of them think gays actually choose to be gay anymore.

Corsair, I respect you for that. I have an Aunt that hasn't talked with one daughter in over 30 years because she is gay. She hasn't spoken to her son in about 5 years now because her grandson married a black woman, and she gave him the option to choose her or his son. He chose to stand by his son so she has now cut off the son and grandson. It's SO sad. My mother tries to be a mother/aunt/grandmother to them because she hates that her sister treats them like that.

Oh good, now we're retarded

My exposure is limited to Mormons (and it's a LOT of them) and they don't believe that way. So I can't speak for others. I know in this area (Sacramento), those who supported prop 8, didn't sound like they thought of it as anything other than a choice.

Crazy isn't it? (and they didn't use the exact words "birth defect", I just heard it explained as being born with it.
    I think it's just their crazy way of trying to find something to battle the facts that are out there that prove it's not a choice.

Most of the religious homophobes I've spoken with, of all denominations, seem to think it's a choice too.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Yep. When my brother was talking about it that way, I just said, I disagree, and science say otherwise, the only reply was a couple of blinks and change of subject. I think they think I am the anti-Christ. It's fun being the anti-Christ. Nobody in the family screws with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    Really, bigotry is solely determined by intent? So, if I say something ridiculously stereotypical about black people, does it make it less racist because I didn't mean to be offensive or know any better? Because from what I've read from antiracist blog posts/essays online from people of colour, intent doesn't seem all that important-the results are.

Personally, I don't really care where discriminatory behaviour may come from, just the results. Or to be more precise, I do think it's important to know the roots of discrimination accross socioeconomic backgrounds to find the best ways to combat it, but in the end, it doesn't excuse its existence.

Also, religion, unlike sexuality, is still a choice. Not that I'm saying religious persecution is ok, but it's not equivalent to homophobia.
    I felt as you did at one time, that anything insensitive to a group was bigotry. After having seen so many instances of people saying something and not knowing why the room became deathly quiet, I realized some people seriously had no clue that what they said was not true and would even be seen as offensive. Those people usually listened to an explanation and upon understanding, realized what they thought wasn't true and their statements were offensive. Once they were given information, they chose to stop.

A bigot is well aware of his bullshit and most of the ones I have come across enjoy hurting other people and being insensitive. They may only say and do things solely for the purpose of hurting others.

So, yes, as a minority, I have learned some people do and say things because they don't know any better and didn't mean any harm. It may piss people off, but what they do after they know the it is bigoted decided whether they are or not.

These people supported bigotry. They knew that their personal info would become public. Now with the interwebs it's all organised and stuff but this doesn't bother me too much. I'm about as violent as a muffin anyway so I'd probably just stop saying good morning to my next door bigot. But still be nice to his/her kids... Wait... what am I saying, I hate kids!!! Or I would organise something silly like abducting his lawn ornaments and giving them a gay makeover.

Seriously, I hope that nothing bad will come out of this and I actually don't think it will. They should have the balls to stand for what they believe, anyway.

And people, chill. Grimm isn't really advocating violence! Are you Grimm?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information