Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Get ready for gruesome cigarette warnings

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    That's so true. You have to want to stop. I know a lady who is on oxygen and still smokes(with the oxygen in her nose). You see her coming, and get the hell out of dodge.
    I once knew an old man like that. He was always like: Can you turn off the oxygen for me so that I don't blow up?
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    Cigs are hovering around $10 a pack in NYC and expected to go up again shortly. I bitched at $5, at $7.50 and I bitch at $10 but I still smoke. Even after watching my grandmother die from lung cancer. NYC had a program giving out free patches and/or nicotine gum. IIRC, the number of people who took adavantage of it was great but the results barely nominal.

Growing up, both my parents smoked, all my aunts and uncles, all my grandparents. Most have since quit and all have said you must want to quit, really want it or it's not going to work. My uncle recently started smoking again after 15 years.
    Here in VA you can get Marlboro Lights for $3.70 a pack.......
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elite Member

I quit when they hit $10 a pack and I was a two large pack a day smoker. Nobody ever thought I'd quit, but I felt like a freakin heroin addict - $20. a day? $600. a month? I could buy a lot for $600. a month and that's what did it. Yes, I gained weight but I've never smoked again. Went cold turkey, decided I'd be sick for a while, but sooner or later I'd get better. I haven't smoked since, just hit 4 years in July. Yay!

Oh yeah, be prepared to see pic coverup things for sale near the cigarettes soon. That's what happened up here (Canada).

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    Cigs are hovering around $10 a pack in NYC and expected to go up again shortly. I bitched at $5, at $7.50 and I bitch at $10 but I still smoke. Even after watching my grandmother die from lung cancer. NYC had a program giving out free patches and/or nicotine gum. IIRC, the number of people who took adavantage of it was great but the results barely nominal.

Growing up, both my parents smoked, all my aunts and uncles, all my grandparents. Most have since quit and all have said you must want to quit, really want it or it's not going to work. My uncle recently started smoking again after 15 years.

Patches won't help and neither will the gum. It's all in the mind. I really suggest reading that book to anyone who wants to quit. Like I said, I do sometimes falter when I'm pissed but otherwise I'm smoke free and glad of it.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

A*O

Showing scary/disgusting pictures of cancerous lungs or lips isn't going to prompt anyone to quit because that kind of shit happens to other people, right?

And the only way to quit is going cold turkey.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    Patches won't help and neither will the gum. It's all in the mind. I really suggest reading that book to anyone who wants to quit. Like I said, I do sometimes falter when I'm pissed but otherwise I'm smoke free and glad of it.
    Hmm. My mother has mostly quit smoking but she'll fall off the wagon for a cigarette or three when she's really stressed, or in a social setting with other smokers. Do you think that book would do anything for her - or is it more for people who are still regular, daily smokers?

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I think the book would help her a lot. I feel like I should get a cut of the profits from it since I tell everyone about it.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    Here in VA you can get Marlboro Lights for $3.70 a pack.......
    I'm jealous. LOL Seriously, cigarettes haven't been that cheap here since the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    I agree that it's all in the mind. Every successful quitter I know went cold turkey and wanted to do it. Those that slapped on the patch were smoking again within a year.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I hope you're right! I'm on 1 week of no cigs and I feel great. I just stopped buying packs, because if I don't have them I won't smoke. I didn't necessarily want to quit but I knew that it was best for me. A few months ago I tried "cutting back" and started smoking American Spirits. It actually helped because for the past 2 months I would only be smoking half the cig but wasting money.

What really made it click for me was that I've read quite a few articles about the dangers of 2nd hand smoke and dogs. Specifically I read one about beagles being more susceptible to it because of their heightened sense of smell and nasal passages. I have a 3 yr old beagle and while I've tried avoiding smoking around him, I know he's around it.

I'm really hoping this works! The first few days were rough but now I don't really notice anything. My BF already loves the fact that my snoring has subsided...
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    And how long will it be before parents get up in arms and force the companies to cover the ads like they do for suggestive mens magazines and High Times? I predict 6 months.

I can just hear the complaints 'Why should I have shield my children from the wall of gruesome cigarette packages behind every counter in every gas station?'
    Isn't that very type of prevention the point of those pictures and warnings? I think a big part of its intent is to prevent non-smokers--like kids and teens--from starting to smoke. Covering it up would defeat the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    That's the only thing that worked for me. I tried to quit several times, but I finally went cold turkey and it's stuck for a little over 3 years now. I don't know what finally clicked, but some of it was knowing what was probably in store for me if I didn't. I'm too chicken to find out if I can help it, so I quit. I'm so glad not to have to shell out for those damn things every few days. I sometimes wonder how much money I'm saving myself.

I'll contribute my late mother's hospital records to the cause - maybe once people realize how much lung cancer costs and what your family has to go through and give up because of your illness - well, maybe that'll help at least one person to quit. It's not pretty.

Going cold turkey doesn't work for everyone, and just like with alcohol and drugs..you can have some serious withdraw symptoms...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information