Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Georgetown University asked to cover name of Jesus - White House request

they didnt choose it. HE WAS INVITED BY GEORGETOWN
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
    I'm not a nutter and I think it's ridiculous to enter a religious institution and ask them to un-religion themselves to suit your needs.
    Agree.

And even if they did invite him, they should've had a backbone and rescinded the invite when his conditions were to de-religious themselves.

Elite Member

I don't know...Can you see the problem? Every Republitard who's spoken at Oral Roberts University etc. has taken heat for it (with good reason). Considering the stink the Dems have made about it, maybe O's people were worried about how it would look to speak in front of a bunch of crucifixes.

But also keep in mind that Georgetown is a prestigious school and it doesn't want to get lumped in with those fundie places.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    I don't know...Can you see the problem? Every Republitard who's spoken at Oral Roberts University etc. has taken heat for it (with good reason). Considering the stink the Dems have made about it, maybe O's people were worried about how it would look to speak in front of a bunch of crucifixes.

But also keep in mind that Georgetown is a prestigious school and it doesn't want to get lumped in with those fundie places.
    Exactly. The Dems have ripped Republicans for years behind that, so if a Democractic president does the same thing, then the Dems would look like hypocrites if they didn't blast Obama for it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    they didnt choose it. HE WAS INVITED BY GEORGETOWN

So what? He could have said no. If religion is going to be an issue, then why place yourself in a situation guaranteed to stir up some shit?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Given that they said "hey no problem" apparently it wasn't a big deal to them.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Given that they said "hey no problem" apparently it wasn't a big deal to them.
    Exactly...so shame on Georgetown not Obama.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Bronze Member

is this really a big deal? why are pple even talking about this? the same pple complaining abt it are the same pple who would complain if he had the speech in front of all the crucifixes and they would go 'oh oh i thought he said USA isn't a christian country, wht's with all the flags and christian symbols, mr flip flop Obama'. let's move on

Guys, this is completely and totally stupid. I've worked in politics and in PR. It is absolutely par for the course and completely standard for TV filming, a speech, or press conference to set up the background of your shot. This is a bunch of Catholic people looking to drum up controversy where there isn't any. This was honestly a completely standard thing, and it had nothing to do with undercutting religion.

Remember during the campaign, when Obama would speak at an event and have all these people in the background? They didn't just happen to end up there. They were picked and placed behind him, to represent whatever the event was going for. Its called 'the halo' meaning, the halo of people that will surround him on a TV screen.

Likewise, if he was giving a speech without a crowd in the background, the backdrop was always arranged. Everything got covered up: no signs, no logos, etc. It isn't just religious things that are covered up- its everything. This is for obvious reasons: if he spoke in front of something that was controversial, it would be latched onto. So they just cover everything up and control the background imagery. They bring in these stands to hang drapery behind him, and American flags. Unless he's speaking at a University event, in which case there'd be the university crest, or at a union hall there'd be the union logo, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    Guys, this is completely and totally stupid. I've worked in politics and in PR. It is absolutely par for the course and completely standard for TV filming, a speech, or press conference to set up the background of your shot. This is a bunch of Catholic people looking to drum up controversy where there isn't any. This was honestly a completely standard thing, and it had nothing to do with undercutting religion.

Remember during the campaign, when Obama would speak at an event and have all these people in the background? They didn't just happen to end up there. They were picked and placed behind him, to represent whatever the event was going for. Its called 'the halo' meaning, the halo of people that will surround him on a TV screen.

Likewise, if he was giving a speech without a crowd in the background, the backdrop was always arranged. Everything got covered up: no signs, no logos, etc. It isn't just religious things that are covered up- its everything. This is for obvious reasons: if he spoke in front of something that was controversial, it would be latched onto. So they just cover everything up and control the background imagery. They bring in these stands to hang drapery behind him, and American flags. Unless he's speaking at a University event, in which case there'd be the university crest, or at a union hall there'd be the union logo, etc.

didn't i just say this in much less detail at the beginning?

LOL thank you Cali

didn't i just say this in much less detail at the beginning?

LOL thank you Cali
    You totally did! Always the voice of reason.

No, what Grim said it was done because he couldn't stand up for any one religion.
    He didn't say it was done all the time.
    Do your research, Becky!

Sweetie, that's the underlying explanation to Cali's long exposition on how it's done. It's the reasoning. He can't be seen to be promoting it, or anything else for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Do your research, Becky!
    Where did that saying come from anyway? I'm dying to know!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information