Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 73

Thread: Georgetown University asked to cover name of Jesus - White House request

  1. #46
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,359

    Default

    they didnt choose it. HE WAS INVITED BY GEORGETOWN
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  2. #47
    Elite Member Laurent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Out There
    Posts
    39,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
    I'm not a nutter and I think it's ridiculous to enter a religious institution and ask them to un-religion themselves to suit your needs.
    Agree.

    And even if they did invite him, they should've had a backbone and rescinded the invite when his conditions were to de-religious themselves.

  3. #48
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,807

    Default

    I don't know...Can you see the problem? Every Republitard who's spoken at Oral Roberts University etc. has taken heat for it (with good reason). Considering the stink the Dems have made about it, maybe O's people were worried about how it would look to speak in front of a bunch of crucifixes.

    But also keep in mind that Georgetown is a prestigious school and it doesn't want to get lumped in with those fundie places.

  4. #49
    Elite Member kingcap72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    10 miles from Pootie Tang
    Posts
    21,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    I don't know...Can you see the problem? Every Republitard who's spoken at Oral Roberts University etc. has taken heat for it (with good reason). Considering the stink the Dems have made about it, maybe O's people were worried about how it would look to speak in front of a bunch of crucifixes.

    But also keep in mind that Georgetown is a prestigious school and it doesn't want to get lumped in with those fundie places.
    Exactly. The Dems have ripped Republicans for years behind that, so if a Democractic president does the same thing, then the Dems would look like hypocrites if they didn't blast Obama for it, too.

  5. #50
    Elite Member greysfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Burning Down Your Windmill
    Posts
    56,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    they didnt choose it. HE WAS INVITED BY GEORGETOWN

    So what? He could have said no. If religion is going to be an issue, then why place yourself in a situation guaranteed to stir up some shit?
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

    http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

  6. #51
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,359

    Default

    Given that they said "hey no problem" apparently it wasn't a big deal to them.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  7. #52
    Elite Member KandyKorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    cubicle hell
    Posts
    2,526

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Given that they said "hey no problem" apparently it wasn't a big deal to them.
    Exactly...so shame on Georgetown not Obama.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

  8. #53
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    100

    Default

    is this really a big deal? why are pple even talking about this? the same pple complaining abt it are the same pple who would complain if he had the speech in front of all the crucifixes and they would go 'oh oh i thought he said USA isn't a christian country, wht's with all the flags and christian symbols, mr flip flop Obama'. let's move on

  9. #54
    Elite Member Cali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    citizen of the world
    Posts
    5,443

    Default

    Guys, this is completely and totally stupid. I've worked in politics and in PR. It is absolutely par for the course and completely standard for TV filming, a speech, or press conference to set up the background of your shot. This is a bunch of Catholic people looking to drum up controversy where there isn't any. This was honestly a completely standard thing, and it had nothing to do with undercutting religion.

    Remember during the campaign, when Obama would speak at an event and have all these people in the background? They didn't just happen to end up there. They were picked and placed behind him, to represent whatever the event was going for. Its called 'the halo' meaning, the halo of people that will surround him on a TV screen.

    Likewise, if he was giving a speech without a crowd in the background, the backdrop was always arranged. Everything got covered up: no signs, no logos, etc. It isn't just religious things that are covered up- its everything. This is for obvious reasons: if he spoke in front of something that was controversial, it would be latched onto. So they just cover everything up and control the background imagery. They bring in these stands to hang drapery behind him, and American flags. Unless he's speaking at a University event, in which case there'd be the university crest, or at a union hall there'd be the union logo, etc.

  10. #55
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,359

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    Guys, this is completely and totally stupid. I've worked in politics and in PR. It is absolutely par for the course and completely standard for TV filming, a speech, or press conference to set up the background of your shot. This is a bunch of Catholic people looking to drum up controversy where there isn't any. This was honestly a completely standard thing, and it had nothing to do with undercutting religion.

    Remember during the campaign, when Obama would speak at an event and have all these people in the background? They didn't just happen to end up there. They were picked and placed behind him, to represent whatever the event was going for. Its called 'the halo' meaning, the halo of people that will surround him on a TV screen.

    Likewise, if he was giving a speech without a crowd in the background, the backdrop was always arranged. Everything got covered up: no signs, no logos, etc. It isn't just religious things that are covered up- its everything. This is for obvious reasons: if he spoke in front of something that was controversial, it would be latched onto. So they just cover everything up and control the background imagery. They bring in these stands to hang drapery behind him, and American flags. Unless he's speaking at a University event, in which case there'd be the university crest, or at a union hall there'd be the union logo, etc.

    didn't i just say this in much less detail at the beginning?

    LOL thank you Cali
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  11. #56
    Elite Member Cali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    citizen of the world
    Posts
    5,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    didn't i just say this in much less detail at the beginning?

    LOL thank you Cali
    You totally did! Always the voice of reason.

  12. #57
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,359

    Default

    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  13. #58
    Elite Member Sweetie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Den of the roving cunty bitches
    Posts
    24,532

    Default

    No, what Grim said it was done because he couldn't stand up for any one religion.
    He didn't say it was done all the time.
    Do your research, Becky!

  14. #59
    Elite Member Grimmlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In WhoreLand fucking your MOM
    Posts
    55,359

    Default

    Sweetie, that's the underlying explanation to Cali's long exposition on how it's done. It's the reasoning. He can't be seen to be promoting it, or anything else for that matter.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

  15. #60
    Elite Member Cali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    citizen of the world
    Posts
    5,443

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Do your research, Becky!
    Where did that saying come from anyway? I'm dying to know!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 5th, 2008, 08:30 AM
  2. Replies: 47
    Last Post: November 7th, 2007, 03:32 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: April 7th, 2006, 04:40 AM
  4. The REAL White House
    By deckchick in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 1st, 2006, 11:24 AM
  5. Jeb doesn't rule out run for White House.
    By buttmunch in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: November 15th, 2005, 03:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •