Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gay marriage ban overturned in California

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah i dont get it; i've never heard a logical explanation of why to be against it

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    yeah i dont get it; i've never heard a logical explanation of why to be against it
    There seems to be two main arguments from this crowd.

One is the 'slippery slope' argument. They say that once gay marriage is legalized, it 'paves' the way for other forms of marriage like adult/child, human/animal, or whatever else they come up with.

Two, is that it's "forcing" gay marriage on them.

Or something. Maybe some of those against this development (and don't be afraid I know some of y'allz are secretly and not so secretly against this) can enlighten us to why they are against this or feel so threatened by it. I'm afraid many are actually against it.

That slippery slope argument is such bullshit. The requirements for marriage are simple. 1) Both must be humans 2) Both must be consenting adults. Nothing to do whatsoever with being gay.

its about time!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Default Opponents of same-sex marriage plot their campaign strategy

Opponents of same-sex marriage plot their campaign strategy

(05-15) 17:18 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- Four state Supreme Court justices may have made history, but they overreached and invited a voter backlash that will quickly undo their decision to allow same-sex marriages, opponents of the ruling said Thursday as they geared up for the fight ahead.
    "The Supreme Court essentially gave the strategy," said Mathew Staver, the attorney who represented Campaign for California Families before the court in unsuccessfully arguing to uphold the state ban on same-sex marriage.
    That ban was reaffirmed in 2000 in a ballot initiative that passed with 60 percent of the vote, he noted.
    "When you have four people in the state undermining the will of the people, that's the strategy in itself," said Staver, dean of the law school at Liberty University, a fundamentalist Baptist college in Lynchburg, Va.
    "I think this is going to get people to the polls who haven't thought much about this in the past, who have been complacent," Staver said. "Not only are they going to go to the polls, they're going to bring their friends."
    Staver and other opponents said they were confident the court's 4-3 ruling would be quashed by California voters in November, when a state constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages is expected to be on the ballot.
    Same-sex marriage foes said they would probably not emphasize to voters that heterosexual-only unions are important to maintaining social order and raising well-adjusted children, or that gay and lesbian couples already have equal rights because of domestic partnership benefits.
    Those arguments are strong, but the campaign is likely to focus instead on the danger of judges "legislating from the bench" and "overturning the will of the people," said Karen England, executive director of Capitol Resource Institute, a conservative pro-family group in Sacramento.
    "People are tired of their voices not being heard," England said.
    Staver and Glen Lavy of Alliance Defense Fund, which represented other opponents of same-sex marriage before the court, said they would file a motion in the next 15 days to stay Thursday's ruling pending the November election. Lavy noted that in 2003, the Massachusetts high court gave the legislature six months to rewrite state law to conform to its ruling in favor of same-sex marriage.
    "We think it's in the best interest of the court and the people of California to not have a bunch of marriages in limbo," Lavy said. "It can cause a lot of chaos. People who get marriage licenses between now and November, what does that mean? Does it have any legal significance? We'd have to have a whole other round of litigation."
    Although they had no visible presence Thursday on the steps of the state Supreme Court building on McAllister Street in San Francisco, same-sex marriage opponents said their offices and e-mail in-boxes were flooded with phone calls and messages from outraged people.
    They predicted that volunteers would flood into California from around the country to help make their case to voters in November.
    Staver conceded that public opinion may have swung some toward favoring same-sex marriages since voters approved the 2000 ballot measure. But he added, "I think you still have 50-plus percent of Californians who would vote for (opposite-sex) marriage."

slippery slope my ass!!!! if pigs like donald trump, dennis rodman and fuckin' Pam Anderson can get married a whole bunch of nasty times then why not any normal consenting non-related adult!

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    slippery slope my ass!!!! if pigs like donald trump, dennis rodman and fuckin' Pam Anderson can get married a whole bunch of nasty times then why not any normal consenting non-related adult!
    so right Alice.

It's not like marriage is such a sacred state for straight people......any douche that can buy a license can get married
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

...and they can't really claim that it is against religion because I'm a happy atheist and this state in the Bible Belt let me get married.....

....wouldn't people's God be more against me getting married than against a gay couple who was religious?......I'm not very good at religious theology (as all my religious friends here shake their heads and think "no shit")......but that's the way I see it.....

slippery slope to what? equal rights and justice? oh, noez!
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

gay marriage will lead to human and animal marriage? hahaha, I have seriously heard it all.

I should marry my dog.......he's so loyal
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    gay marriage will lead to human and animal marriage? hahaha, I have seriously heard it all.
    But but Sweetie, it is a slippery slope. If we let people of the same sex marry then eventually people like you may leave their husbands to marry a pair of Manolo Blahniks!!! LOL

^ Oh shit, I am most certainly all for gay marriage then.....bring on the Manolos.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    slippery slope to what? equal rights and justice? oh, noez!
    yeah really!

Good news is, Angelina and Brad can finally be married!
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information