Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Frustrated job seekers deciding to call it quits

I was out of work for nearly a year & am now earning 1/2 of my previous salary. And due to the way that the UK benefits system works, wasn't able to claim any benefits while I was not working. Sucks!
    "I don't know what I am to them, maybe a penguin XD" - Tiny Pixie

Mega-reply, FYI! I had so many ppl to reply to just reading pg 1, figured I should post this already.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    count me as one one of them
    Me too. Actually, everyone in my house is unemployed. Depressingly, despite a few odd gigs (project-based) here and there, I've been unemployed for a year now. And my poor landlord has been unemployed even longer- I think almost a year and a half And she has some really high-level and amazing skills. Its so depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by kingcap72 View Post
    I'm one of these frustrated job seekers, but I'm not throwing in the towel. I've been out of work for 8 months, and I hadn't gotten any responses on my resume until I revamped the look of it, and now I'm getting more people contacting me.
    Aww King, I didn't realize you were as well. Aren't you in journalism? Do you check out MediaBistro? They always have some interesting job postings there, and for some reason I usually get replies from the employers that post there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
    Same here, both me and the hubby are out of work, for more than a year. I am so glad, before all this happened I was very careful with money and we have been lucky and so far are managing. Not great, but we are surviving.

We haven't been able to get a job anywhere, including retail.
    Hugs. This is my story as well. I go in cycles of giving up, because it gets SO SO old emailing and faxing resumes out all day, and never hearing a single thing in response. Not a 'thanks for your application' or anything. You start to wonder if your email is broken. I just don't get it- I have a college degree from a good school, I worked part or full time all through college since I was 18, so I have 6+ yrs of work experience, and a pretty well-rounded mix of skills. But still, no luck.

And I just lost my health insurance. After aging out of my parent's policy, I was lucky to land a job working in politics. That was an amazing 2 years, but when the campaign ended, so did my job. So I took COBRA. And I have now exhausted my COBRA coverage and am officially uninsured.

So instead of job hunting, I've spent the last month hunting for health insurance. I'm only protected under HIPAA for 62 days and those damn insurance companies are EXPERTS at running down the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    Most of them are over 21 years old and just graduated college and can't find anything. Even worse is that they're applying for retail jobs and competing with the young kids.
    That's basically me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    freaking retail wont hire people who are over qualified either.. thats the crap part.. no jobs in your sector, you cant go for much lower cuz employers figure you'll skip out first chance you get for something that pays more
    Yes! Thats my problem as well. I've tried applying for Admin Asst. positions and I don't even get replies from that! And I've done it before- since I was like 16! Frankly, I've been considering removing the fact that I have a Bachelor of Science degree off my resume, just so I can get a shot at SOME job, ANY job.

It seems that having a Bachelor degree is this horrible black hole in the current market. I'm seen as overqualified for most Admin. Asst. and retail jobs. And the slightly higher-level jobs all want a Masters degree. No one wants to hire just basic college grads. Really depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I registered with the four major temp agencies in my area. Again, nothing.
    Yes, I had this exact experience. Before I moved to DC, in Dec. 2008, I met with 3 of the agencies. They reviewed my resume and said they could put me to work immediately. So that was my game-plan: move to DC and temp while I wait for other processes to come through.

I get here, and none of the temp agencies have anything. Dead silence. The processes I was waiting to work out never came to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by crackho View Post
    Anyone looking for work, DC is still holding on pretty good.
    WTF is the secret!!! I've been here for a year and I can't get a single bite. PM me if you can't say it here? Seriously, I'm at the hail-Mary pass stage right now.
    Last edited by Cali; February 19th, 2010 at 09:21 PM.

I actually gave up my job so someone else could have it. Seasonal job and only 2 of us could stay on. 3 of us were up. I was picked but I found out the other lady who did not get picked, her husband had just left her and she really needd this to keep everything she had so I let her have it. I figured because at least my husband had a job and I could find one. Boy was I wrong. Still looking and going on 5 months. I was told today I should try for unemployment but the neighbor told me they are really, really tight about who they give it to because there are so many people on it right now.

Thanks, Cali. Yeah, I did journalism for about 15 years, but even before I was laid off I had decided that it was time to switch careers. Newspapers are a dying industry, and I accomplished everything I felt I could accomplish in journalism. Plus, I had lost the fire to really care about it anymore. So, when I got laid off I considered it a blessing in disguise, because here was my chance to finally make that switch. But being laid off has given me a lot of time to do some soul searching and figure out who I am, where I'm going and what I want out of life. But I'm bored out of my mind doing nothing.

For months, I wasn't getting any responses on my resume. But then I decided to change the entire look of it. I got rid of the paragraphs that described my job responsibilities and put everything into bullet form. So, that makes it easier for people to read and to get a better idea of what I can do professionally. Since then I've gotten more responses, but it seems like I've been getting more responses from health insurance companies and financial planning organizations.

And that sucks about your COBRA benefits. I've got them now, but it's costing me $150 a month for them and that's getting a little tough to do on just umemployment benefits, while paying rent, utilities, cable and car insurance. So, hopefully, I'll find something soon. One of my relatives who is umemployed called me up and told me that she was inviting people in the family over to talk about a new business opportunity. Jokingly, I said 'what is it, Amway products.' And she said, yeah it was Amway. I told her things aren't that bad where I'm going to sale Amway products.

We should all just hang in there. Because no matter how bad we all have it, there are people out there who have it much worse than we do.

Thanks, Cali. Yeah, I did journalism for about 15 years, but even before I was laid off I had decided that it was time to switch careers. Newspapers are a dying industry, and I accomplished everything I felt I could accomplish in journalism. Plus, I had lost the fire to really care about it anymore. So, when I got laid off I considered it a blessing in disguise, because here was my chance to finally make that switch. But being laid off has given me a lot of time to do some soul searching and figure out who I am, where I'm going and what I want out of life. But I'm bored out of my mind doing nothing.
    What are you looking to do now?

For months, I wasn't getting any responses on my resume. But then I decided to change the entire look of it. I got rid of the paragraphs that described my job responsibilities and put everything into bullet form. So, that makes it easier for people to read and to get a better idea of what I can do professionally. Since then I've gotten more responses, but it seems like I've been getting more responses from health insurance companies and financial planning organizations.
    I noticed that as well. And you know something else that helped me? In my previous career (fashion), I had a professional website + brand development and I worked with a graphic designer on a unique logo/font for my name. Over Christmas my brother was telling me how his wife had great success sending out a resume that her graphic designer friend prepared for her. So on a whim, I inserted my name logo from my site into the top of my resume. And that has worked- I've gotten LOADS more replies- even if they are 'sorry we've already selected our candidates' type replies- at least its something. I actually got my first job offer of the entire year from that resume version, but for a variety of practical reasons I couldn't accept it. Paid peanuts, required relocating, was a likely temporary job.

I used to have an awesome creative resume but everyone in politics reacted to it w/ confusion. So I pared it down to a bare-bones simple, no-frills Word doc. And still got no bites. But once I paired the bare-bones, no-frills Word doc, with my name logo at the top, I've been getting replies.

If anyone wants the name of my graphic designer, PM me. she is SERIOUSLY incredible. She specializes in sparse but professional and interesting designs. And in comparison to others, she's quite affordable.

We should all just hang in there. Because no matter how bad we all have it, there are people out there who have it much worse than we do.
    I try to hard to keep a positive attitude. But as things get closer and closer to the wire, your savings dwindles, health insurance disappears, you realize that all that separates you from the others is one horrible circumstance. Someone hits you while you're walking to the store. You suddenly develop a chronic disease. You slip on the ice and break something. Your car goes belly-up and you can't afford the repairs.

I guess I've just realized how much I used to be frivolous with a dollar. I can still get my same veggies if I buy them canned, but if I buy them frozen its 3x the cost. That's a simplistic example, but this whole adventure has really been a lesson on the things that I can really do without, and on the things that are perfect substitutes but much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    What are you looking to do now?
    I'm looking to move into marketing or fund-raising work for a not-for-profit. And maybe head into more entertainment-related work.

I noticed that as well. And you know something else that helped me? In my previous career (fashion), I had a professional website + brand development and I worked with a graphic designer on a unique logo/font for my name. Over Christmas my brother was telling me how his wife had great success sending out a resume that her graphic designer friend prepared for her. So on a whim, I inserted my name logo from my site into the top of my resume. And that has worked- I've gotten LOADS more replies- even if they are 'sorry we've already selected our candidates' type replies- at least its something. I actually got my first job offer of the entire year from that resume version, but for a variety of practical reasons I couldn't accept it. Paid peanuts, required relocating, was a likely temporary job.
    I had an insurance company offer me a job, but I would have to shell out $400-plus dollars for the licensing class and to get the license. I told them that I would let them know in a month or so since I've got some other leads. The job is commission-based, and I need something with a set salary. But I may take it if nothing else comes along. They really loved my resume, so they said they'd wait. So, we'll see.

I used to have an awesome creative resume but everyone in politics reacted to it w/ confusion. So I pared it down to a bare-bones simple, no-frills Word doc. And still got no bites. But once I paired the bare-bones, no-frills Word doc, with my name logo at the top, I've been getting replies.

If anyone wants the name of my graphic designer, PM me. she is SERIOUSLY incredible. She specializes in sparse but professional and interesting designs. And in comparison to others, she's quite affordable.
    Hmm, interesting. That may be something to consider. In this job market, people definitely have to think outside the box.

I try to hard to keep a positive attitude. But as things get closer and closer to the wire, your savings dwindles, health insurance disappears, you realize that all that separates you from the others is one horrible circumstance. Someone hits you while you're walking to the store. You suddenly develop a chronic disease. You slip on the ice and break something. Your car goes belly-up and you can't afford the repairs.

I guess I've just realized how much I used to be frivolous with a dollar. I can still get my same veggies if I buy them canned, but if I buy them frozen its 3x the cost. That's a simplistic example, but this whole adventure has really been a lesson on the things that I can really do without, and on the things that are perfect substitutes but much cheaper.
    Yeah, it's not easy trying to stay positive. I've been paying off a lot of old debt, but to do that I had to use a good chunk of my severance money, including half of the money I had in my IRA. I hated to do that, but I figured now was the time to take care of some of that debt, so it's one less thing to worry about while I look for a job.

I realized that I had to stop putting my self-worth or happiness into money or things that I owned. If I didn't have enough cash or couldn't buy something that I really didn't need, I just got angry or depressed. Now, if I can take care of my bills and start putting money aside, while treating myself every now and then, I'm happy.

My my, didn't we all just dip our tongues in some acid today.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information