Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fox News commentator Shepard Smith: 'We do not f***ing torture.'

Quote Originally Posted by chattykathy View Post
    I have only been on this sight for maybe a month, possibly longer. You posting it here before then didn't tell me anything.
    The information about torture wasn't just on this site. It was being reported on by different news organizations, except maybe Fox News.

and rush
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Probably because it is just now coming out. Never heard anything about torture until the last few months, period.
    Kathy - I know I've given you a hard time in the past, but the above statement really really pisses me off.

Have you ever heard of Abu Ghraib? What did you think that photographic evidence of torture was - some sort of cute little fraternity party hazing? What did you think was going on with the people held in Guantanimo - unindicted and simply held for 7 years?

What did you think the issue was when George W. Bush, President of the United States of America went on national television on November 7, 2005, looked directly into the camera and said "We do not torture" Did you think that he just thought it was necessary to throw that out there.

I will stop here before I get my ass hit by the ban bus, but I seriously hope that you use this board and any other method you can get your hands on to broaden your horizons.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    He's like a god, a vengeful god. He looks down upon the inferior beings and thinks "I have given you everything, and yet you remain imperfect, you deserve the wrath I unleash on you, and I will take pleasure as I do so!" Haha, I think I just found out why God allows misery in the world.

Bow down because you love him. Bow down because you fear him.
    You may just be right.
    Now watch Grim start believing in God after that statement.

No Montana, have never heard of them, and I didn't start paying attention to politics until late 2006, but I will go look up Abu. And more about Gunatanamo.
    ""Somebody needs to talk to Alex Castellanos: he may not be doing sex right if he thinks an Obama speech is 'like sex'."~ Rush Limbaugh

You've never heard of the Abu Ghraib stuff? You're in for a not-so-nice dose of reality...

No Montana, have never heard of them, and I didn't start paying attention to politics until late 2006, but I will go look up Abu. And more about Gunatanamo.
    Good for you for starting to pay attention, and good for you for wanting to learn more. As Penny said, brace yourself because there is some ugly stuff out there, especially if you look at the 'warts and all' instead of the 'photoshopped' presentable version edited for tv's "decency" standards.

Thanks Wikipedia, think I'm going to be sick. Thought they were just using caterpillars and throwing water in people's faces. Ick...
    ""Somebody needs to talk to Alex Castellanos: he may not be doing sex right if he thinks an Obama speech is 'like sex'."~ Rush Limbaugh

ugh.. that article is depressing. right out of some banana republic.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thanks Wikipedia, think I'm going to be sick. Thought they were just using caterpillars and throwing water in people's faces. Ick...
    Yeah it really is disgusting. Have you read the content of the torture memos, or at least a summary?

Here's a decent background:

'If you want to know how democracies die, read these memos. Read how gifted professionals in the CIA were able to convince experienced doctors that what they were doing was ethical and legal. Read how American psychologists were able to find justifications for the imposition of psychological torture, and were able to analyze its effects without ever stopping and asking: what on earth are we doing?

Read how no one is even close to debating "ticking time bomb" scenarios as they strap people to boards and drown them until they break. Then read how they adjusted the waterboarding, for fear it was too much, for fear that they were actually in danger of suffocating their captives, and then read how they found self-described loopholes in the law to tell themselves that what the US had once prosecuted as torture could not possibly be torture because we're doing it, and we're different from the Viet Cong. We're doing torture right and for the right reasons and with the right motive. Many of the people who did this are mild, kind, courteous, family men and women, who somehow were able to defend slamming human beings against walls in the daytime while watching the Charlie Rose show over a glass of wine at night. We've seen this syndrome before, in other places and at other times. Yes: it can happen here. And imagine how this already functioning torture machine would have operated in the wake of another attack under a president Romney or Giuliani.

It is this professionalism and bureaucratic mastery that chills in the end. Not the brutality of "the program," but the modernity and banality of the apparatus around it. As Orwell predicted, the English language had to disappear first. The president referred to waterboarding prisoners as "asking them questions." Bringing prisoners' temperatures down to hypothermia levels was simply an "alternative set of procedures." The entire process is "enhanced interrogation." Even the press has to find a way to call it merely "harsh", a term now changed to "brutal" in the NYT, even though nothing we found out yesterday was more brutal than anything we knew about before.'
    The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

Uhg. It makes me so mad.

The president referred to waterboarding prisoners as "asking them questions."
    Hell they referred to waterboarding as waterboarding, sounds like something you do on the lake in the summer.

Elite Member

Default re

One of the things that bugs me is that a lot of high level folks in the military, very senior people, strongly expressed their concerns about torture to the Bush administration.

Their concerns were overridden by a bunch of suits who had never 'walked the walked,' like Paul Wolfowitz (who is one of my MOST HATED neocons ever) and Cheney.

Is it too much to hope that Cheney strokes out and soon???

^^^ That's the most American, patriotic thing in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    One of the things that bugs me is that a lot of high level folks in the military, very senior people, strongly expressed their concerns about torture to the Bush administration.

Their concerns were overridden by a bunch of suits who had never 'walked the walked,' like Paul Wolfowitz (who is one of my MOST HATED neocons ever) and Cheney.
    Not only that, but they ordered the destruction of evidence of their bad deeds. And anyone who expressed an alternative, dissenting opinion was quashed. Check this out:

'A former Bush administration official [ETA: he's a former diplomat, director of the 9/11 Commission & a law prof] disclosed that the previous White House sought to destroy a memo he had written, arguing that extreme interrogation measures were illegal. The official, Philip Zelikow, said he raised questions in 2005 about the legality of the interrogations while a counselor to then-Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. But he said his objections had been stymied by the Bush White House.

"My colleagues were entitled to ignore my views," Zelikow wrote on the Foreign Policy blog. "They did more than that: The White House attempted to collect and destroy all copies of my memo."

Zelikow wrote that he disagreed with the legal arguments for harsh interrogations because they were so broad, they could have theoretically been used far outside CIA interrogations.

"In other words, Americans in any town of this country could constitutionally be hung from the ceiling naked, sleep deprived, water-boarded, and all the rest — if the alleged national security justification was compelling. I did not believe our federal courts could reasonably be expected to agree with such a reading of the Constitution," Zelikow wrote on the blog.'
    POLITICO 44 | The next president. Minute by Minute

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Is it too much to hope that Cheney strokes out and soon???
    No way, that's too kind for him. He deserves to be court martialed, charged with war crimes and judged by the entire world.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information