Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Food costs rising fastest in 17 years

I know a lot of people who swear by the Grocery Game. I looked into it and found I did not have the time to do it but others swear it doesn't take much time. They give the list of items to buy based on what is on sale and where there are coupons to make it cheaper or even free. You then buy all those products that week and stock up while they are cheaper. You need to have storage room but people who use it love it.
    Coupons, Grocery Coupons - The Grocery Game :: Home

A friend of mine is a chef and his wife a baker and in random conversation he said the cost for a bag of flour had gone up 4 times overnight.

I don't know if this was just coincidence but I remember last year (summer through winter) chicken breast was between $4-6 a pound, I even saw it for $9 in one supermarket by me, then I started to notice that like myself people stopped buying chicken breast and started to by more pork and beef. There were mountains of chicken breast sitting unpurchased at any of the local markets in a 2 town radius.

For the past 2-3 months I've noticed that the chicken breast has dropped back down to $2-4 a pound.

I'd like to believe that the price adjusted because people stopped buying chicken at such obnoxious prices.

Canned tuna is $1.99 for a 6oz can (that's over $5 a lb) but when it goes on sale for .69-99 cents a can with a 12 can max the tuna will sell out the first day it goes on sale.

The prices have became outrageously high and what is kinda funny is that if you're chocking on the costs in the market sometimes a senior citizen will come up to you and give you a lesson in following the flyers for the sales, it's quite cute but the reality is, that it will become a must do for most people just to feed their family.
    Last edited by suede; April 16th, 2008 at 10:10 AM.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

A*O

Bread prices have shot up here mainly due to the drought. Aussie farmers protect their market so we don't get many imports, in fact we usually export huge amounts of wheat, but the crops have been failing for several years now so prices have risen. Perhaps this will be my excuse to finally give up my beloved bread.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Bread prices have shot up here mainly due to the drought. Aussie farmers protect their market so we don't get many imports, in fact we usually export huge amounts of wheat, but the crops have been failing for several years now so prices have risen. Perhaps this will be my excuse to finally give up my beloved bread.
    I go through phases where I HAVE to bake my own bread (though I do cheat with a bread machine). I don't think anything beats the smell of freshly baked bread (other than freshly baked cookies).

A*O

^^^ I know [drool] That's the whole problem. Damn you bread!
    Dame Edna Everage

Hit By Ban Bus!

I really do feel bad for dieters (especially those that HAVE to diet for health reasons). I mean alll the good stuff is bad for you.

Off the food topic but gas jumped from 1.14$ per litre yesterday morning to 1.29$ per litre yesterday afternoon. That's quite an increase in one day...
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

A*O

Try living in Europe before you complain too much about gas prices LOL What pisses me off about gas prices here is that they change almost from day to day with the lowest on Cheap Tuesday and the most expensive on High Friday. The retailers can charge pretty much what they want and it's even worse just before long weekends or public holidays.
    Dame Edna Everage

by and large americans still have food cheaper than most of the rest of the planet.. so really, it's a bit much
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    by and large americans still have food cheaper than most of the rest of the planet.. so really, it's a bit much
    We do. Does anyone understand that? No. Sometimes we are a bit spoiled. But even so,you have a set amount budgeted-it gets all thrown off.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post
    Off the food topic but gas jumped from 1.14$ per litre yesterday morning to 1.29$ per litre yesterday afternoon. That's quite an increase in one day...

US fuel will be the same soon enough.

Your $1.29 per litre is $4.77 as a gallon.

Fuel by me went up 22 cents overnight a few days ago, the lowest gas (that I noticed) was $3.89 and the highest was $4.99.

I'm going to guess it's in the 5's at the marinas.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Try living in Europe before you complain too much about gas prices LOL What pisses me off about gas prices here is that they change almost from day to day with the lowest on Cheap Tuesday and the most expensive on High Friday. The retailers can charge pretty much what they want and it's even worse just before long weekends or public holidays.

Gas goes up by me every May and ever weekend for the weekeners, summer people and tourists - like clockwork - so does all the produce.

As side a note:

The big difference between the UK and the US is the percentage of tax on fuel. The US will have a significant increase in fuel tax in 2009, we're catching up to you.

You can not compare fuel necessity and usage between the UK and the US - especial when you consider that the state of NY is larger in square miles than the entire country of England.

Just sayin'
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Silver Member

Cool

i am using powdered milk now

i started using black beans as a meat extenter (sp) with ground beef

i use half beef and half beans and freeze the rest

stock up on buy one get one free sales

i am using powdered milk now

i started using black beans as a meat extenter (sp) with ground beef

i use half beef and half beans and freeze the rest

stock up on buy one get one free sales
    That's a good food strategy. *nods*

Me I started freezing alot of my food now, as well as stretching out leftovers and stuff. I wish I lived on my own property cuz I could garden vegetables but sadly I dont, but I do live near a farmer's market and I go there to get produce since it's local and cheaper than the stuff at the store. Sadly I do know that even there the prices have risen by at lest 25 cents. Farmers are making a killing off these high food prices.

This prices are putting a dent in my poor pockets. I'm going to invest more in foods with a longer shelf life like rice, oats, pasta, and beans.They are much more fulling than your typical fruit and leafy green vegetables. I don't eat meat, or eggs and consume limited amounts of diary. I don't eat take outs or go to any sort of restaurants.
    I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep.
    That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?---Jean Kerr

Quote Originally Posted by suede View Post
    US fuel will be the same soon enough.

Your $1.29 per litre is $4.77 as a gallon.

Fuel by me went up 22 cents overnight a few days ago, the lowest gas (that I noticed) was $3.89 and the highest was $4.99.

I'm going to guess it's in the 5's at the marinas.

Our fuel went up to 1.39$ which equals 5.26$ CDN per gallon. And to convert it's 3.79 x $ = cost per gallon. Now if we transfer CDN money to USD it equals to 5.20$ US per gallon that we're paying at the tank right now. They're saying that before summer we'll be up to 1.50$ per litre. That's 5.68 CAD (5.61 USD).

Gas goes up by me every May and ever weekend for the weekeners, summer people and tourists - like clockwork - so does all the produce.

As side a note:

The big difference between the UK and the US is the percentage of tax on fuel. The US will have a significant increase in fuel tax in 2009, we're catching up to you.

You can not compare fuel necessity and usage between the UK and the US - especial when you consider that the state of NY is larger in square miles than the entire country of England.

Just sayin'
    It doesn't mean that people travel any less in the UK than in the US. And A*O is in Australia, there's lots of driving space in Australia.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information