Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: First gay soldier to be fired, for being gay, under Obama's watch

Elite Member

Straight soldiers can bring their families, their husbands/wives, and live openly. Gay soldiers can't. They have to hide.
    Ah. That's a bit different.

400-600 arab linguists, gay of course, were fired before 9/11
    I had never heard that

Why join a group that discriminates against you from the get-go.
    Common sense would tell me not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Why join a group that discriminates against you from the get-go.
    Common sense would tell me not to.
    This is true, but why wouldn't patriots that are gay want to serve their country?

Imagine the outrage and furor if all gay rights groups continually marched and rallied against all things military in the U.S. (irregardless of the dont ask dont tell policy). But they don't as far as I know, because not all of them are opposed to the military per se. Many of them are as patriotic as any other straight person and put country above themself. They see military service as a higher calling.

So for an organization they respect and want to serve with, slap them in the face with some stupid policy, how do you think that makes them feel?

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    This is true, but why wouldn't patriots that are gay want to serve their country?

Imagine the outrage and furor if all gay rights groups continually marched and rallied against all things military in the U.S. (irregardless of the dont ask dont tell policy). But they don't as far as I know, because not all of them are opposed to the military per se. Many of them are as patriotic as any other straight person and put country above themself. They see military service as a higher calling.

So for an organization they respect and want to serve with, slap them in the face with some stupid policy, how do you think that makes them feel?
    Why would they? Would you want to die for someone that's prejudice against you? I know I wouldn't.

Race and sexuality, regardless of how much gays push for it, are not seen as being at all the same. It will not be treated the same. We are dealing with the real situation, not the ideal situation.
    *sighs* only by you, Coretta Scott King would disagree along with many hundreds of thousands if not millions of people, INCLUDING gay people of color and we're not going through this yet again.

Yes there SHOULD be a national rising up. They all should stand up and say "Fuck this shit". Let the military deal with untold thousands of possible discharges all at once.

Should.

Will it happen?

Doubtful.. too many people rely on this career to put food on the table but at some point it will reach a head and it'll roll on from there.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

The only difference is that homosexuality cannot be seen on the surface. Race and gender can.

LOL tell that to a flaming queen
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Well besides them, lol.

It must be funny to not have gaydar. I can tell a gay from how he walks, hand gestures, the purse of his lips, clothes, who his eyes follow, pronunciation

it's ever so much fun

Here is the deal: he knew the rules. He broke the rules. A soldier that can't follow orders. Sorry,but that goes to character-not gayness. There are lots of gays in the military that suck it up and focus on their careers.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The point is they shouldn't have to make that choice. What if they told all the strait soldiers you can't get laid or get married while your in the military I bet the uproar would be horrendous
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

^ That is true, but the point remains, he joined and signed up under those terms. He has to be a complete and utter moron to agree to it, sign a contract stating that he agrees to the terms, and then wants to whine when HE is the one that breaks the contract.

Yes, I agree the rules are wrong. But the rules have been in place and any gay that was willing to give up a piece of who they are, to possibly die for a country that doesn't give to shits about them, is a complete and total dumbass.

There are a lot of other careers out there that you don't have to hide who you are. That's why I think he enlisted for a reason, other than just wanting to serve his country.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Here is the deal: he knew the rules. He broke the rules. A soldier that can't follow orders. Sorry,but that goes to character-not gayness. There are lots of gays in the military that suck it up and focus on their careers.
    So all the black soldiers back in ww2 that were segregated should have just shut up and sat down then?

here's the thing. There's a disconnect between what is done and what should be done. People are advocating the status quo be maintained because it's a rule, even if it's utterly wrong and retarded in every way.

The rule is wrong. It shouldn't exist. It should never have been implemented. The fact that it does and is, does not somehow negate the fact that it is incorrect. The fact that it's wrong supercedes the fact that it merely exists.

Think about conscientious objectors. Same idea.

^ No, they should have never signed up...again, why support someone that doesn't support you?
    And you're right it shouldn't be on the books, but it is. Point blank, no way around it. If he thought the law was that stupid and degrading, then why did he agree to stay in the closet, per say, and why did he sign the contract? I don't think most intelligent people would do that.

Sorry, but to me this man is just stupid. I would never devote my life to someone that hates me, doesn't support me, and would fire me just because of who I choose to sleep with.

Can you imagine, loving someone but having to keep it secret, or you'd lose your lively-hood. They can't reap your benefits, they can't stay on base(get support if you're off at war, send you pictures or even mail). I think it's unfair to say to folks you either serve, and stay in the closet...
    A lot of men and women join when they a younger to help their families get out from under poverty, some before truly understanding their sexuality...they can't go and talk with someone about this, they'll be kicked out. So they keep it a secret, punished basically because they can't pursue a life that'll make them happy, and well rounded soldiers.

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information