Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Federal Judge strikes down gay marriage ban in California

I'm very happy to hear this.

Forgive my ignorance, but if it goes to SCROTUS (hah!) then it becomes federal precedent, right? (versus now it's just a state thing?). If it survives that, the rest of the states end up complying or facing similar suits and knowing they'll lose based on precedent?

I guess I'm wondering if I should be hoping it gets to the Supreme Court asap so we can end this discrimination on a national level already.

About damn time. Hope they leave it alone this time.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

Well if it's going to the Supreme Court, how are the judges expected to vote? (Sorry, I don't follow politics so I have no clue.)

Default Celebration as Prop. 8 Overturned

Celebration as Prop. 8 Overturned

SAN FRANCISCO--Hours after Judge Vaughn Walker issued his ruling that Proposition 8 was unconstitutional, supporters of same-sex marriage and gay rights turned out to celebrate with a march from the city's Castro neighborhood to City Hall. The following are reports from the action.

6 p.m. Walking dogs and carrying rainbow and American flags, hundreds of jubilant marchers paraded down San Francisco’s Market Street toward City Hall.

The mass of people took over half of the busy road. In the other lane, cars honked and people called back in support.

At the head of the parade, a truck with loud speakers led the demonstration. One man in the back called out over the PA: Are you ready to put on your walking shoes? Smile, because you’re writing a chapter of gay rights history in America.

6:30 At the corner of 15th and Market, the bright flags and hustling bodies of the march formed a column that stretched as far as the eye could see, or at least three or four blocks.

Two of those marching were Marty Kashuba, 69, and her partner, Beth Gorman, 57. The two, who have been together for 17 years, held hands as they walked. “I’m sure it will be a long struggle but we’re going to win in the end, “said Kashuba.

The two are not married but are glad they now have the option.
    Nearby, a man on a motorcycle trapped by the parade, joyfully honked his horn long and loud. Asked if he minded the delay he said, “Not at all.”

7 p.m. At the front of the march, the flatbed truck was festooned with pink gauze and a paper sign that said, “Liberty and justice for all.” It came to a stop in front of the LGBT Center.

From inside the center came Tia Mara Whetstone, 24, and intern. She climbed aboard the truck to address the demonstrators and said, “This is to you, Jose. If you’re watching, baby, I do.”

Nearby, two employees of the Natural Holistic Center stepped out to watch the parade. “I wish I was marching with them,” said Ebony Devony.

As the truck to pulled up to City Hall, some 100 celebrants were waiting for those behind them to catch up. Playing over the loud speaker was the song, “What the World Needs Now Is Love.”

Celebration as Prop. 8 Overturned - Pulse of the Bay - The Bay Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Lastly, civil rights should never be put to a public vote. I dunno how that got started, but it's fucking stupid.
    One of my facebook "friends" posted a link to this article with the comment "and you thought your vote counted". I've been sitting on my hands to keep from posting the above as a response.

all of my 'God fearing' FB people are all upset about this ruling. lol
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Elite Member

Great news!

And yes, the Supreme Court matters.
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

Firstly, let me agree that this neverever should have been put to a vote because this thing is going to be a bigger a shitstorm. I bet most people here have the christmongers on their facebooks all up in arms over this. And the argument is that "7 million people voted against it. isn't this a democracy.". I hate this shit. It shouldn't have been voted on because it should be a fucking right for EVERYONE to marry whomever they choose (regardless of sex, religion, race, creed - whatever). This is going to get really ugly, I'm afraid.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Anything can happen when it goes to the S court. It could go either way
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Well if the SC follows the letter of the law they will rule in a way that legalizes gay marriage. There is nothing in the law that says it must be between a man and a woman. I am so sick of assholes who claim gay marriage is a threat to the family. If their family will crumble because gays can marry, they have much bigger issues. The gay couple down the street getting married will have no impact on my family. It will however, give them the legal standing they so deserve to protect their family. Things like this make me hate the religious right in this country.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

A*O

This made the evening news in Australia. I hope the law wins over the hysteria this time....
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Elite Member

It is uncontitutional. The 14th amendment, aka the Equal Protection Clause, says so.

"Whats next, sex with animals?" Direct quote from a FB "friend"

I hope it goes to the Supreme Court so it will be legal once and for all for the entire country. I am glad it is legal here and our state didnt become the corrupt sex haven like all the idiots were saying it would become.

Why do you have to call it marriage ?

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    One of my facebook "friends" posted a link to this article with the comment "and you thought your vote counted". I've been sitting on my hands to keep from posting the above as a response.
    I'd be re-evaluating my friendship with someone so stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by mella View Post
    Why do you have to call it marriage ?
    Because it's fucking marriage, that's why.

2 people getting MARRIED to each other. A joining of 2 people.

We're not making up some special new word just so you can stop feeling icky about it. Like racists when schools were integrated, get over it.

You have serious homophobic issues you need to deal with. I suggest you start now. We're not going away.
    Last edited by Tati; August 5th, 2010 at 11:09 AM.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information