Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A family's year of 'buying black'

brown people

Quote Originally Posted by gardenofeve View Post
    Well if you believe racism is still alive and well today, then chances are you inherently believe that people of colour are still at a social and economic disadvantage. KWIM?
    Racism still exists, whether store owners are inherently disadvantaged as a result is not something I had ever pondered till this thread. It just doesn't occur to me in real life. I don't think I've ever wondered or given a crap who the owner of a particular store was or what race he belonged to. If the store has what i want, I buy it.

For me, I see it this way. There is a Superstore near here that sells all sorts of ethnic foods. They specifically designed it that way since, it's 5 minutes away from Agincourt which is the most diverse area in the city. You can get everything there. I went to a Loblaws in Markham, same dealie. A lot of people still go to stores in their respective communities to shop. They have the choice, but often it boils down to going to the Superstore and supporting Galen Weston, or going to XYZ store and supporting someone in your community who is of the same race and if it's a small mom and pop store, you also might very well have that personal connection as well. I think while people do shop based on availability of the foods, this is Toronto, you should be able to piece together some sort of meal from most major grocery chains no matter what your ethnicity and I think personal connection, affiliation to one's culture, race, ethnicity plays a role.
    it could, as i mentioned it's probably easier to get whatever ingredients you need for an ethnic meal at a store that carries said ingredients, owned by people in that ethnicity, than to go trucking all over town for them. It also helps if it's nearby and convenient.

I'll be honest, I'm a bit more relaxed right off the bat when I am in a situation with predominantly brown people. It feels safer, and I'm more open to establishing that personal connection. Comfort in numbers. Usually though, the situation will change for me and I'll feel more or less comfortable regardless of someone's race.
    yeah, but will you support stores (that aren't obviously ailing) simply because the owner shares your skin color? discounting whatever they're selling, i mean.

I can't really see the point of this couple's experiment, maybe because I just see it played out all the time, but I guess if I were to spend some time thinking about it from an American perspective, I might figure it out.
    Yeah, the american thing is a big divide.. living in Toronto, i just shop where I shop. It's such a mosaic that i never really think twice about race and store ownership LOL
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    ^ I am glad you left safely!
    Thanks, Sweetie.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Racism still exists, whether store owners are inherently disadvantaged as a result is not something I had ever pondered till this thread. It just doesn't occur to me in real life. I don't think I've ever wondered or given a crap who the owner of a particular store was or what race he belonged to. If the store has what i want, I buy it.
    it could, as i mentioned it's probably easier to get whatever ingredients you need for an ethnic meal at a store that carries said ingredients, owned by people in that ethnicity, than to go trucking all over town for them. It also helps if it's nearby and convenient.
    yeah, but will you support stores (that aren't obviously ailing) simply because the owner shares your skin color? discounting whatever they're selling, i mean.
    Yeah, the american thing is a big divide.. living in Toronto, i just shop where I shop. It's such a mosaic that i never really think twice about race and store ownership LOL
    Sorry, I don't know how to multiquote.

The race of shop owners never really occurred to me either, unless it was specific to what services or products I'm looking for. However I think it does occur to a lot of people whether they are consciously thinking about race. Maybe more so culture, language, country of origin for their family, largely for a sense of community. But as you also mentioned in the US, things are a lot more divided and probably a lot more pronounced, so maybe the pull to race is a lot stronger too.

I'm not sure if these folks are going out of their way to buy things they don't need just to support businesses. I don't, I buy a lot of things I don't need because they're pretty or fun or tasty, but not based on the race of the shop owner. *g*

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    brown people
    Yeah, don't you go around trying to say that. It's one of those double standards. Kinda like how I can leave my socks anywhere I please, but if my consort does it, there's hell to pay. lol

wtf ever, i say brown people all the time LOL

i used hang with the brown crowd at work, it was fun. We would laugh at all the goofy things our respective cultures (cracker and brown) would do.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

wtf ever, i say brown people all the time LOL

i used hang with the brown crowd at work, it was fun. We would laugh at all the goofy things our respective cultures (cracker and brown) would do.
    I'd err on the side of caution for my own sanity. If I go around telling white people it was okay to say that, the minute they run into someone who doesn't like it, they'll come back to me screaming. lol

Well no, only around people I know. But still, white guys, brown guy, black guy, it's all the same.

I don't take offence when someone says i'm white.. i am! I'm a big white guy!

One of our jokes was that brown people never had to go protest anything.. they'd just say what offended them to some white people and whitey would get offended FOR them, go run off start protesting while the brown guys sat back and had a drink LOL

it's so true

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

racist!

my 92 yr. old nanna uses the term "colored people", awwwww, omg and she knows her sons wife's (my mum) family is very multi-cultural oh well.

my grandma used the term "darkies"

Making a point NOT to shop in business which are NOT owned by blacks is racist. If a group of whites advertised the fact that they refused to frequent any business which was not owned by whites, they'd be in court-mandated "sensitivity training" so fast they wouldn't know what had happened.

There is a huge double standard in this country, and I am tired of people making excuses for it.

Racism is racism, regardless of someone's "reasons" behind it. If it would be racist for one group to it, it's racist for ANY group to do it.

I don't see this as racist at all. If you refuse to shop at stores that are run by people who don't share your skin color, that's one thing, but I view those who choose to throw their support behind other minorities as a good thing. You strengthen your community by supporting it.

Well no, only around people I know. But still, white guys, brown guy, black guy, it's all the same.

I don't take offence when someone says i'm white.. i am! I'm a big white guy!

One of our jokes was that brown people never had to go protest anything.. they'd just say what offended them to some white people and whitey would get offended FOR them, go run off start protesting while the brown guys sat back and had a drink LOL

it's so true
    Dance puppets, dance! My hubby is white and so are a lot of my friends, the ones I'm closest with, you know there is a lot of racial humour. Like whenever we're arguing and it's me against me, I'll say something like "Sure, sure, pick on the black man!" or when I was a kid, to drive my mom nuts when she started giving me a laundry list of chores, I'd go into my "Yassa Massa" routine. Still do...is it any wonder she likes my husband better than me.

Darkies, there's an old one. I was actually called that once. In the village no less. It took a minute to register that the guy was being nasty, but by the time I was ready to tear a piece out of him, my then BFF (who was white) was already tearing him a new one. I went to have a drink. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    If a group of whites advertised the fact that they refused to frequent any business which was not owned by whites, they'd be in court-mandated "sensitivity training" so fast they wouldn't know what had happened.
    really? i don't think that can happen. maybe i'm wrong, but i don't think you can be mandated by a court of law to go to sensitivity training, just because you make it known that you only shop at white-owned businesses.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

its racist whichever way you choose to slice it. I'm disgusted that someone would think its ok to say something like that.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information