Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A family's year of 'buying black'

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    I wonder if they buy all the extra gas from Whitey?

The article doesn't specify, but I figure that most of the businesses the couple frequent are small to midsize and local (i.e., maybe not near them, but not national or regional chains). So this is sort of a variant on shopping local.

I don't see how what they're doing is racist. And I'm guessing that most white people in the U.S. are already spending the majority of their incomes at white-owned businesses.

There are too few minorities where I live, so I go out of my way to support places owned by minorities, run by them, or regularly hiring them for decent jobs. I also buy a lot of gifts at a store owned by an extended family member and recommend her shop to people all the time.

People have the right to use their money to support anyone they choose, right?
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

basing your shopping on the color of the skin of the store owner is fucking racist.

Imagine if i did it because the owner was white.

And I'm guessing that most white people in the U.S. are already spending the majority of their incomes at white-owned businesses.
    Uh, most people dont care who the owner is or what the color of their skin is. They never see the owner. They also arent purposely picking and choosing which store to shop in based on the race of the owner.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^ I understand your perspective.

I guess my perspective differs so much because I grew up in a town that was about half black, half white, in the southern U.S. Blacks there were generally getting the shaft every way they turned. They also didn't always support each other. Maybe when things as a whole are messed up for people of your race, the sense of community starts to fracture.

The issue of what constitutes "racism" from a minority group is something people debate.

I never counted occasional hostility toward me, by black people in the South, the same way I would count it coming from white people, or if it had been from whites toward them. Racism was pretty much institutionalized--I saw some truly awful things--and I figured they had a right to resenting me for being white if they wanted to. In that case, it was the difference between kicking someone when they were down, versus trying to figure out how to fight back against oppression.

My only problem with it was that from a practical standpoint, the racism just kept going 'round and 'round.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    I figured they had a right to resenting me for being white if they wanted to.
    Why?
    Did you do something to harm anyone?

yeah, what the hell.

It's one thing to say you could understand if they did, it's another to say they were allowed just because.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

There are tonnes of communities in my city which are predominantly one race or another. And those stores are often frequented by people of those races. I know lots of people who pretty much primarily do business within their own community, because that's where they get the food, that's where they have the contacts, they feel that they'll get a better deal because it's someone who shares a background. Whether they're correct or not remains to be seen. But really, it's not a big deal to me.

I wonder if they buy all the extra gas from Whitey?
    Well, more likely from someone Saudi.
    Last edited by Tati; March 12th, 2009 at 07:01 PM.

Well it's one thing to shop at a store, owned by someone of the same ethnic background, because they will have more of the foods that your culture uses and enjoys.

Chinese people shopping at a chinese grocery store cuz they have all the things chinese people put into chinese food.

That's one thing.

Shopping at a store specifically cuz the person is of your race, despite now offering anything different from any other business, is racist.

I understand that they're trying to help out other people in their race (apparently they're at a disadvantage?) but it's still a double standard.

And I go to my hairstylist because she knows what I mean when I say I want a wave and a donut, or a doobi!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

^ Yeah, if you went to my hairstylist and asked for a doobi you would get a little smokey smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    And I go to my hairstylist because she knows what I mean when I say I want a wave and a donut, or a doobi!
    yep, 'cause if you come to my place asking for that, we're gonna get high & eat some doughnuts and wave at each other!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

jinx!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Why?
    Did you do something to harm anyone?
    I just had learned that race relations in my town and state were really complicated. There was a lot of mutual fear. The neighborhoods were still mostly segregated. One of my closest friends as a teenager was black, and when I drove to her house, everyone in her neighborhood stopped what they were doing and stared at me in shock, because no one white practically ever drove down those streets. Blacks were discriminated against everywhere. There were a couple of race riots at my high school. This was not that long ago, even though it may sound like a throwback to an earlier era.

A handful of the black people there had bad enough experiences to generalize that all white people were bad. I wasn't happy about it, but I could understand it. No one ever tried to really hurt me, but there were definitely assumptions about what I must be like, made on the basis of my skin color & what my family's income level might've appeared to be.

Anyway, I left that town as soon as I possibly could without becoming a runaway. It wasn't all that fun being female there, either.

^ I am glad you left safely!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Well it's one thing to shop at a store, owned by someone of the same ethnic background, because they will have more of the foods that your culture uses and enjoys.

Chinese people shopping at a chinese grocery store cuz they have all the things chinese people put into chinese food.

That's one thing.

Shopping at a store specifically cuz the person is of your race, despite now offering anything different from any other business, is racist.

I understand that they're trying to help out other people in their race (apparently they're at a disadvantage?) but it's still a double standard.
    Well if you believe racism is still alive and well today, then chances are you inherently believe that people of colour are still at a social and economic disadvantage. KWIM?

For me, I see it this way. There is a Superstore near here that sells all sorts of ethnic foods. They specifically designed it that way since, it's 5 minutes away from Agincourt which is the most diverse area in the city. You can get everything there. I went to a Loblaws in Markham, same dealie. A lot of people still go to stores in their respective communities to shop. They have the choice, but often it boils down to going to the Superstore and supporting Galen Weston, or going to XYZ store and supporting someone in your community who is of the same race and if it's a small mom and pop store, you also might very well have that personal connection as well. I think while people do shop based on availability of the foods, this is Toronto, you should be able to piece together some sort of meal from most major grocery chains no matter what your ethnicity and I think personal connection, affiliation to one's culture, race, ethnicity plays a role.

I'll be honest, I'm a bit more relaxed right off the bat when I am in a situation with predominantly brown people. It feels safer, and I'm more open to establishing that personal connection. Comfort in numbers. Usually though, the situation will change for me and I'll feel more or less comfortable regardless of someone's race.

I can't really see the point of this couple's experiment, maybe because I just see it played out all the time, but I guess if I were to spend some time thinking about it from an American perspective, I might figure it out.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information