Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Family Medical Leave Act Extended to Include Gay Couples

Crumbs are insulting when the entire meal is achievable and has also been promised.

On top of that, patience is always counseled by those who can afford it or don't have a dog in the race.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

What dog do you have in the race, Grim? You don't even live in the US.

I agree that we should persuade Obama to do more toward ensuring full and equal rights for gay Americans, but to think that he's the same as Bush or McCain or Palin on this matter is just silly. To spit in his eye is even more silly. We're not going to get anyone better on gay rights (and a huge list of issues) than Obama for sometime, and if the Republicans win in 2012, we're going to be taking giant steps backwards.
    Tea baggers want to fight the Man because the Man doesn't look like them.

I do, and I feel the exact same way. I have a huge fucking dog in this race and I agree with Grimm 100%. This whole thing is bullshit and it makes me feel disgusting to live in a country that views me as a second-class citizen with less rights than straight people. Until I went to college, I thought I was straight, and when I realized I was bi I didn't feel like a different person... but I actually LOST RIGHTS in my country. It's fucking sick. This whole "well at least it's something c'mon you whiny queers" attitude makes me want to stab people. How insensitive and passive of you, you must feel so lucky to have all your rights protected because you're "normal."
    "Not only do we embrace it, we take it out for drinks, get it absolutely steaming drunk, leg hump it and then leave it covered in shaving foam and a stolen Chuck E Cheese outfit in its own bath with no recollection of how it got there." -Kittylady on the sad and pathetic and strange.

Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    What dog do you have in the race, Grim? You don't even live in the US.
    All my friends who I have to watch every fucking day struggling with equality apartheid and bullshit.

I agree that we should persuade Obama to do more toward ensuring full and equal rights for gay Americans, but to think that he's the same as Bush or McCain or Palin on this matter is just silly.
    Oh here we go, the "he isn't really doing anything, but the alternative is worse" argument. Honey, he doesn't want to be persuaded. Hell, he doesn't even support marriage equality because, as he said, "god is in the mix". At best he supports "separate but equal" which is neither. He supports people getting on the bus, but riding in the back as the best he can manage. That is NOT acceptable.

To spit in his eye is even more silly. We're not going to get anyone better on gay rights (and a huge list of issues) than Obama for sometime, and if the Republicans win in 2012, we're going to be taking giant steps backwards.
    That argument doesn't work anymore. Saying "take your scraps, be happy, and shut up" is not a viable argument in 2010, and if this is the best that can be done, that's fucking pathetic. It's also unacceptable. The best is nothing? Really? DOMA, DADT, ENDA and all the rest just can't be done away with despite majorities in both houses?

That's political cowardice, and that's what the Democrats are.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Saying "take your scraps, be happy, and shut up" is not a viable argument in 2010, and if this is the best that can be done, that's fucking pathetic.
    Did I say "take your scraps, be happy, and shut up"? By all means, we should be pushing Obama, but we should also be making easier for him to do the right thing and that includes keeping his political future secure. A stronger Obama and Democratic party helps the conditions needed for passage of laws bringing us clioser to gay equality.

Sure, Obama is timid. So was JFK. So was LBJ. But LBJ and JFK were a lot better than Bull Connor, Strom Thurmond, and the other segregationists. Likewise, Obama is a hell of a lot better than Sarah Palin, and whoever the Republicans will put up in 2012.

You think things are bad now? They could get a whole lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by visitor42 View Post
    Did I say "take your scraps, be happy, and shut up"? By all means, we should be pushing Obama, but we should also be making easier for him to do the right thing and that includes keeping his political future secure.
    .... so the answer to politicians who offer no real progress and continually lie to you is re-election? Are you high?

How about this: Do what we want, or your ass gets voted out and you become unemployed.

A stronger Obama and Democratic party helps the conditions needed for passage of laws bringing us clioser to gay equality.
    Again, are you high? They have had the best conditions In 50 YEARS. Supermajorities in both houses, the executive branch, and enough political capital to send them to the moon!

It can't actually get better than that! If they cannot (or are unwilling, as in this case) to do it NOW, then there's no way they'll do it later under WORSE conditions.

Sure, Obama is timid. So was JFK. So was LBJ. But LBJ and JFK were a lot better than Bull Connor, Strom Thurmond, and the other segregationists. Likewise, Obama is a hell of a lot better than Sarah Palin, and whoever the Republicans will put up in 2012.
    Again, for the 4th time, saying Obama is marginally better than the absolute worst possible option is not a compliment. Also, the whole "the GOP might win!" scare tactic isn't that scary because, right now, there isn't a hole lot of difference between the Dems and the GOP at this point aside from Obama being able to speak in full sentences without tossing in a "you betcha!"

You think things are bad now? They could get a whole lot worse.
    Omg, well we better cling to the people who lie to people, fuck people over, and don't deliver on their promises or we'll really be fucked!

*eyeroll*

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    That argument doesn't work anymore. Saying "take your scraps, be happy, and shut up" is not a viable argument in 2010, and if this is the best that can be done, that's fucking pathetic. It's also unacceptable. The best is nothing? Really? DOMA, DADT, ENDA and all the rest just can't be done away with despite majorities in both houses?

That's political cowardice, and that's what the Democrats are.
    Wait til Ginsberg gets replaced by Robert Bork Jr in 2014.

Elite Member

^^
    Or Justice Kenneth Starr, or Justice Newt Gingrich.

If McCain were President, the Court would be far worse than it now - it would consist of six extreme right wingers and Kennedy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information