Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FACT CHECK: President Barack Obama left blanks in oil spill speech

What's annoying is the "poor widdle president" excuse, aka the reaction "Well, what is he supposed to do?" HE'S THE DAMN PRESIDENT. For example, this was on Vanity Fair's blog today:

Oh dear, the Republican National Committee has a new ad about golf, and how President Obama is addicted to it, irrevocably. In a new minute-and-a-half YouTube spot, Michael Steele’s top Photoshoppers suggest that Obama chose to perform such tasks as “call Rahm to get more golf on schedule,” “schedule meeting with Bono,” and attend a “New York Yankees meet and greet,” in lieu of, we don’t know, shouting in the direction of the leaking well until it feels bad enough about its behavior to want to turn its life around.

We see images of Obama on the course, club in hand, as James Carville’s incantatory Cajun-ish censure sounds in the background. “Over 47 million gallons of oil and two concerts later,” Obama has failed to do ... something, the ad scolds in stark white letters. But failed to do what, exactly? Should he have more forcefully condemned B.P.? Exhibited more public sympathy toward Gulf residents? Saved more sea creatures? Instead, we’re left to infer that Obama should be doing any of these things—or maybe entirely different things?—instead of simply singing “Hey Jude” with Paul McCartney, which is something someone who doesn’t care would have done.
    These are the same people that thought President Bush should have stopped a hurricane, and their reaction now is, "oh, well Obama can't do anything."

I can think of several things Obama should have done: put a temporary halt to all current deepwater drilling. Put a halt to all new permits for deepwater drilling. Appoint someone, a committee, anybody to investigate the safety standards of all drills.

He should have had a meeting with the Gulf state governors the DAY after this happened to ask them what their states needed rather than turning a deaf ear to Gov. Jindal's public requests for a month. He should have ordered the BP executives to the White House the DAY after this happened to ask them what they're going to do to fix it. He should've had every other oil company on the line to see who has equipment and who has possible solutions. There should have been an independent committee made up of the top scientists, engineers, etc. brainstorming solutions right after it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    a war is a war is my point, this is an oil spill
    yes, alice this is an oil spill ... an oil spill that has millions of gallons of oil in the gulf. more and more people are out of work. millions of animals will die and/or be displaced. the environment will be fucked, swamp lands devastated. wildlife destroyed... I don't see how that isn't a big deal. Maybe I feel strongly about it because I spent my early childhood on the bayous of Louisiana and I have compassion and respect for the people who work those waters as a job/career. I think it's sad that you don't feel like this is going to affect you, because eventually, Alice - it will.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

"But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

so, it was a good speech, the country is just too stupid to understand?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

.... are you for fucking real
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

"But I am very poorly today & very stupid & I hate everybody & everything." -- Charles Darwin

"Trump is, in my opinion, the first woman president of the United States." -- Roseanne Barr

So they’re saying at least 48% of us were able to understand it, right?

The real meaning of the speech:

It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Wow.

That's fucking pathetic.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Halp Us Buhrock Obamma, We R Stuk In Irak And Efghanistan!

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

Suggested improvements to speech: "There's like this pipe and there's black goo coming out of it. We should stop it because it's bad or whatever. Durr."

"LOL we R gunna stop dis ting"

My fucking (just turned)12 year old reads at a 12th grade level ... so who out there isn't understanding that the president basically gave us a Seinfeld (about nothing/says nothing) speech?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

As CNN sprints ahead of MSNBC in the brown-nosing competition mid-way through the second quarter…

Plus, how hard is it to get your speech writer to dumb it down for your "target audience"? Plus, WHO is the target audience?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

Yet this same stupid electorate, unable to comprehend the words handed down from on high, elected him in the first place. This dichotomy does not compute…
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; June 17th, 2010 at 11:35 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information