Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Even Barack Obama's deputy campaign manager has lost patience with him

Elite Member

Can you guys tell me specifically what the "public option" involves? What I am envisioning is the major health insurance companies bidding for the job, and offering a basic catastrophic plan with a $5000 deductible for about $100/month/person to anyone who wants it. That would be affordable coverage for Americans to ensure a major accident or illness isn't bankrupting.

Is that the jist of what they're talking about? I've never seen any of the lawmakers explain what a public option entails.

If it's what I said, how could anyone (even Republicans) possibly have a problem with that? I know it's not universal coverage but it would be affordable for most Americans and it would take the burden of bankruptcy for medical expenses away for the majority.

public option: gov run insurance plan people could opt into, kinda like Medicare for everybody.

The insurance co's don't like that, because for all their bitching about an "open market" they don't want anything that will be priced lower than them, because then they would have to compete truthfully. It would eat into their gargantuan profits. Insurance co's right now are raking it in hand over fist because there's no baseline competitor.. they can jack it up as far as they want.

hell, premiums have gone up 300% in the last decade while coverage REMAINS STUCK AT LEVELS SEEN IN 1997, so you're paying more for less... and that's even if you don't get dumped once you get a long term disease because those fuckers will go through ALL your history to find ANY tiny thing that can be spun into a "pre-existing condition" and then you're SOL.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Oh, believe me, I know about the premium increases...I have bitched about our healthcare costs constantly on here.

Wouldn't the way I said be a reasonable compromise? A few years of that and it would get people warmed up to the idea and then it could be expanded upon. Meanwhile, it doesn't cost the government a cent so no one can bitch about the deficit, and it would force the insurance companies to compete with each other for the contract.

You know the rethugs would kill whatever compromise was made the next time they were able.

better to get the whole thing done and over with so it's impossible to dismantle
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

I'm just thinking that if millions had the chance to get affordable catastrophic coverage, and relieve themselves of the worry of personal bankruptcy over medical bills, many would be very grateful to the current administration in the next election, and more open to further changes.

And if they make it affordable enough, they could even go through with making it mandatory as they've discussed, with only those making less than $X/year exempt. When the economy and deficit are in better shape, they can discuss government paying for the coverage for the $X and below.

I would also like to see an expansion of public health clinics so that basic services like vaccinations and insulin shots would be free to those under a certain income. I know we have them now, but there aren't enough and people have forgotten about them.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    You know the rethugs would kill whatever compromise was made the next time they were able.
    Not if the Democrats had any balls. I think it would be pretty easy to get most of the public on board with something like that.

ETA: I am coming from the perspective of someone who lost a parent that was uninsured. Cancer 30 years prior that was completely gone was counted as preexisting, and my mom, who was on a fixed income, couldn't afford the $1200/mo premiums for catastrophic coverage. She was self-pay for doctor and dentist visits, but when it came to surgery and hospitals, she had no options. She would've laid down and kissed the feet of a lawmaker who would've made it possible for her to get affordable catastrophic coverage.

Bill Moyers made some interesting points last week regarding compromise, and compared this to how Truman lost at first on Medicare, but 20 years later under LBJ the bill went through in full.

His point was it's much better to keep fighting for a whole loaf, instead of accepting a half loaf that doesn't solve the problem.

ETA: He also mentioned how the dems have all had their spines surgically removed.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

yeah, IF.

not happening if barry and his loser brigade are any indication.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's what's going to happen. I guess that the next thing will be a total rout of the Democrats in the next election, gridlock, and Obama becomes a one-term lame duck.
    I really doubt this no matter how often people like to claim it. Clinton losing his health care fight in '93 didn't cause him to become a one-term president.

I also doubt that the Dems are going to get routed in the next election. People forget that in the '94 election, most of the House seats that switch from Dem to GOP were seats in which the members retired. As of now, the GOP isn't offering anything but crazy. In '94 at least they offered up the "Contract with America." Yeah it was meaningless, but they put something up policy wise to give people a reason to vote for them.

Elite Member

The difference between now and '94 is that most Americans don't like the GOP. The GOP brand name still sucks.

I don't get Bill Moyes' point. It took twenty years to get Medicare between Truman and LBJ and in the meanwhile, we got nothing. To me, it sounds better to take the incremental but still substantial steps (no more denying people based on pre-existing conditions, forcing businesses to insure their employees or pay into the system, and providing subsidies for low to moderate income earners).

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I really doubt this no matter how often people like to claim it. Clinton losing his health care fight in '93 didn't cause him to become a one-term president.

I also doubt that the Dems are going to get routed in the next election. People forget that in the '94 election, most of the House seats that switch from Dem to GOP were seats in which the members retired. As of now, the GOP isn't offering anything but crazy. In '94 at least they offered up the "Contract with America." Yeah it was meaningless, but they put something up policy wise to give people a reason to vote for them.
    I don't have it with me write now, but I've seen polling data that voters are prepared to vote Republican in the next election and by a pretty good amount.

As to whether losing the healthcare reform battle would sink Obama (vs. Clinton), Clinton also had the benefit (if I remember correctly) of falling unemployment numbers in his first four years. Under Obama, it's still uncertain whether unemployment has touched bottom (I think it's about 9.7%). If that doesn't improve by the next election, it will be a pretty marked difference from the end of Clinton's first term.

Regardless, it's still way too early to call the 2012 presidential election. People choose between candidates. No one even knows who the GOP candidate will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Regardless, it's still way too early to call the 2012 presidential election. People choose between candidates. No one even knows who the GOP candidate will be.
    Agreed on both counts.

Quote Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
    You know what pisses me off the most? He should've just left it alone if he doesn't have the stones to go all the way. The last 6 months have just been just like swatting at bees, it only makes them angrier. The insurance companies are going to retaliate on the American public by raising premiums, again, only more this time, to teach us a lesson and keep us in our place.
    I sort of see it this way. First off, I thought that the health-care-reform thing was rolled out way too soon after the election, given that the Obama administration had not yet shown that it can really accomplish anything, let along something so challenging and divisive. I'm not even going into all the ways they have bungled it beyond that.

It starts at some point to look like a farce or even some Illuminati conspiracy. I mean, did someone freaking plant Obama in the White House race just to ensure that we'll have four years of stalemate and then probably two decades of all-out Bush-like fascism?
    Last edited by Shinola; September 9th, 2009 at 01:02 PM.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Elite Member

I have thought all along that health care should've been a 2nd term goal and that Obama should've focused on jobs and the economy first and foremost. I was hoping that he would get stimuli into place for massive development of alternative energy technologies and the high-speed rail system - which would create hundreds of thousands of jobs at all levels when fully implemented.

And as for healthcare, I have always felt that it is easier to eat an elephant one bite at a time. The resistance to healthcare changes has been there a long time. No leadership is going to be able to change it lock, stock and barrel right away, particularly when the public trust hasn't even been earned yet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information