Page 56 of 63 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 826 to 840 of 933
Like Tree3864Likes

Thread: Election Results 2016

  1. #826
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    We're fucked. I'm sure I've said this before. We're fucked. I'll probably say it a few more times. We're fucked.

    I hate how this makes me sound, but with any luck at all, someone will pick him off. I cannot imagine going through 4 years of THIS.
    I don't put a lot of faith in astrology, but the astrological forecast for the U.S. is really interesting and seems to indicate a crisis of some kind around the time of the electoral college vote.

    https://www.jessicaadams.com/2016/11...-through-2017/
    Brookie and MmeVertigina like this.

  2. #827
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    31,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    You would be saying none of this if it happened the other way around.
    Joe you don't know what I would say because you don't know me or anything about me. Most especially who I voted for.

    I've been bitching about this fucked up system for several elections. Just because I wasn't stupid enough to jump on the Trump train doesn't mean you get to assume anything.

    As far as I'm concerned, Senor Oompa Loompa used the Republican party to his advantage and played all its blind supporters (and Hilary haters) like the proverbial fiddle.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

  3. #828
    Elite Member HWBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    22,747

    Default

    Popular vote count:
    Clinton received 63,541,056 votes compared to Trump’s 61,864,015. So far the numbers show Clinton obtained 48 percent of the popular vote, compared to Trump’s 46.7 percent.

    The numbers mean that Clinton’s lead in the popular vote is, so far at least, much greater than Al Gore’s advantage when he won the most number of votes but still did not become president. In 2000, Gore received 50,996,582 votes compared to 50,456,062 for George W. Bush—an advantage of 540,520 votes.

    Source: www.slate.com

    Hillary Clinton’s Popular Vote Lead Increases to Almost 1.7 Million




    Hillary Clinton, accompanied by her husband former President Bill Clinton, pauses as she concedes the presidential election on November 9, 2016 in New York City. Justin Sullivan/Getty Images


    Hillary Clinton’s lead in the popular vote over President-elect Donald Trump keeps growing and currently stands at 1.677 million votes. On Election Day, Clinton received 63,541,056 votes compared to Trump’s 61,864,015 while other candidates received 7,034,595 votes, according to the latest numbers published by the Cook Political Report. So far the numbers show Clinton obtained 48 percent of the popular vote, compared to Trump’s 46.7 percent.

    The numbers mean that Clinton’s lead in the popular vote is, so far at least, much greater than Al Gore’s advantage when he won the most number of votes but still did not become president. In 2000, Gore received 50,996,582 votes compared to 50,456,062 for George W. Bush—an advantage of 540,520 votes.


    The widening gap between Clinton and Trump comes at a time when some are trying to persuade members of the Electoral College to change their mind and select the person who won the most votes on Election Day. There are numerous petitions circulating online calling on delegates to become “faithless electors” while Sen. Barbara Boxer from California has said she will introduce legislation to abolish the Electoral College. (Although abolishing the Electoral College is possible, it would actually be very difficult, argued Slate’s Mark Stern recently.)

    As more numbers come in, it is becoming clearer just how Clinton managed to win more votes without getting victories in certain key states. The Wall Street Journal recently summarized it:

    Put simply, Mrs. Clinton performed well relative to Barack Obama in states that didn’t matter for the Electoral College because they were states she could count on winning easily or losing badly. In two prime examples, Mrs. Clinton ran up the score in California, which hasn’t voted for a Republican since 1988, and outperformed Mr. Obama in Texas, which last voted for a Democrat in 1976.
    Meanwhile, Mr. Trump eked out victories in Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, and won solidly in Iowa and Ohio. All those states voted twice for Mr. Obama.




    Brookie likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

    ***** celeb

  4. #829
    Elite Member stella blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    One other problem with the EC is that we really have no idea what the true will of the people is. Yes, more people voted for Hillary. More electoral votes went to Trump. But half of the country didn't even bother to vote, and I sort of get it. I live in South Carolina - we aren't ever going blue in the foreseeable future, so you either have to love the candidate or love the process to be inspired to even show up, because if you lean left, you really might as well not bother. And that's the case for Republicans in California too. The way the system is set up, lots of people's votes don't count at all. I think we'd get a lot better picture of where people actually stand if there were changes to the way it's done, and that includes third (or fourth or fifth) party candidates too.

  5. #830
    Elite Member BITTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    GUTTED
    Posts
    25,789

    Default

    Bill Clinton has been silent this whole time - what's going on?
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet!” Anonymous Introvert

  6. #831
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,807

    Default

    I think so too, Stella Blue. It's pretty hard to convince people that their vote counts when it, like, literally doesn't count. Plus it makes it so hard to imagine ever having a viable third party. It just totally shapes the way we all think about voting.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

  7. #832
    Elite Member Deutsche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Bill Clinton has been silent this whole time - what's going on?
    fleeing
    the country because of Pizzagate ?
    BITTER likes this.
    sharp as Angie's square jaw

  8. #833
    Elite Member dolem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    I think so too, Stella Blue. It's pretty hard to convince people that their vote counts when it, like, literally doesn't count. Plus it makes it so hard to imagine ever having a viable third party. It just totally shapes the way we all think about voting.
    Basically we will never see a viable 3rd party candidate until the EC is changed. Ross Perot got 19 million votes and not a single electoral vote when he ran in 1992. To me, that's not representative of "the will of the people". That is 19 million votes that didn't count and that is wrong.

    The EC was set up in the 1700's. The US was VERY different back then. There is no reason why we couldn't take another look at it and see how it can be improved upon.

  9. #834
    Elite Member stella blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    Basically we will never see a viable 3rd party candidate until the EC is changed. Ross Perot got 19 million votes and not a single electoral vote when he ran in 1992. To me, that's not representative of "the will of the people". That is 19 million votes that didn't count and that is wrong.

    The EC was set up in the 1700's. The US was VERY different back then. There is no reason why we couldn't take another look at it and see how it can be improved upon.
    And we can't ignore that part of the impetus was to give southern states with slave populations more representation than their "able to vote" numbers would warrant.

  10. #835
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Antartica.
    Posts
    1,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    That's a moot point, because it would never happen the other way around. The EC gives preference to rural states and those always go conservative. The "winner take all" piece of it is the problem - if we're going to stick with the EC (and I don't think it's 100% terrible, because people in a few big cities shouldn't get to dictate to the rest of the country how to live) electoral votes need to be proportional to the popular vote counts in that state. Everyone in the entire state of Wyoming could move to California, and Wyoming isn't going to have any fewer electoral votes. That just doesn't make any sense.
    Sadly, many of the people that want to do away with the EC want it gone so that the voices they do not want to hear, I.E rural vote, won't have a say at all. To them, it's simply not fair, because they know the election will go one way, every time if we did a popular vote.

    Also, I think the people that feed a hell of a lot of this country deserve to have their voices heard. Yet some want it taken fully away, because it hurts their feelings.

  11. #836
    Elite Member Beeyotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    30,411

    Default

    Yeah wanting basic civil rights and women's autonomy over their own bodies = hurt feelings.

  12. #837
    Elite Member stella blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    Sadly, many of the people that want to do away with the EC want it gone so that the voices they do not want to hear, I.E rural vote, won't have a say at all. To them, it's simply not fair, because they know the election will go one way, every time if we did a popular vote.

    Also, I think the people that feed a hell of a lot of this country deserve to have their voices heard. Yet some want it taken fully away, because it hurts their feelings.
    I have written and deleted four different replies to this post and I'm now just going to leave it at "bless your heart."

  13. #838
    Elite Member MmeVertigina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Your inner ear
    Posts
    3,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post

    Also, I think the people that feed a hell of a lot of this country deserve to have their voices heard. Yet some want it taken fully away, because it hurts their feelings.
    Yes, many of us in CA want our voices heard.
    In 2015, the top 10 agricultural producing States, in terms of cash receipts were (in descending order): California, Iowa, Texas, Nebraska, Illinois, Minnesota, Kansas, Indiana, North Carolina, and Wisconsin. These and related statistics can be found in ERS's Farm Income and Wealth Statistics.
    You might find this article interesting, just for the breakdown California's Political Geography (PPIC Publication) Figure #3 is viewing the state by population to better view its democratic dominance. We feed a lot of people with the crops we grow out here, near the coast.

  14. #839
    Elite Member ConstanceSpry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    9,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    Sadly, many of the people that want to do away with the EC want it gone so that the voices they do not want to hear, I.E rural vote, won't have a say at all. To them, it's simply not fair, because they know the election will go one way, every time if we did a popular vote.

    Also, I think the people that feed a hell of a lot of this country deserve to have their voices heard. Yet some want it taken fully away, because it hurts their feelings.
    But that's why the current system is so unfair. If it was one person, one vote, everyone who bothers turning out to vote would have a voice, instead of just the fake majority based on electoral votes. And that goes for all parties, same situation happened with Gore-Bush.
    Last edited by ConstanceSpry; November 21st, 2016 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Can't spell, DUH.
    Kittylady and panic like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

  15. #840
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Antartica.
    Posts
    1,695

    Default

    Bless my heart. the L and O's would break on my keyboard from all of the LOL's.

    Donald Trump sucks. Hillary Clinton sucks. Trump is playing a character on TV that he created during the whole birther bullshit. I wish Hillary's was a character. Neither one gives a fuck about any of you. Both of them are probably sociopaths. I know, I know. Hillary can't be bad because she has a vagina and a D infront of her name. But she sure the fuck is.

    The only bright side I can see from a Trump presidency is, is that we will have a president that isn't ready to go to war with the only country that has more nukes than us. Of course, i'm sure most here don't believe that and will probably throw out some link I'm not going to read that claims she's more Ron Paul on foreign policy and less Dick Cheney in drag. I know which one she really is.

    I understand concerns. But it is what is is. Nothing will change it. I simply try to be as realistic and reasonable as possible. Sadly, i'm not seeing a lot of reason here.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. U.S. Presidential election - 2016
    By sluce in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 14th, 2016, 12:26 PM
  2. United States 2010 Election Results
    By WhoAmI in forum U.S. Politics and Issues
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: November 5th, 2010, 05:09 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 24th, 2006, 03:43 AM
  4. Touchdown!!! (Canadian election results)
    By Dracko in forum Politics and Issues
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: January 23rd, 2006, 11:58 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •