Page 20 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
Like Tree3864Likes

Thread: Election Results 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Alysheba View Post
    Doesn't matter, white men period. Wealth is pointless. From rednecks to Wall Street, they put him there. All one had to do is pay attention to rally videos to know this. These are the ones, who want to suppress all others.
    exactly. i don't buy the michael moore fans who are trying to sell it as the disenfranchised working class voting against the establishment. if that were true, and those poor, disenfranchised white men wanted a populist who spoke to the working class, they would have gone out and registered as democrats and voted for bernie sanders in the primaries. but no, they mobilised for trump from the start. because trump appealed to them not just as disenfranchised working class, but as a hater of minorities, gays, women, foreigners. he appealed to their ugliness and that's what won out.

so to everyone blaming hillary for being too establishment, too unpopular, too unlikable, spare me. short of becoming just as racist as trump, there's nothing liberals could have done to win back the white working class. the same thing is happening in europe. are workers going for the populist left? no. they're turning to the xenophobic far-right who appeals to the angry, bigoted white men and the racist, bigoted white woman who have internalised misogyny to the point they don't even see it, or care.
    Last edited by sputnik; November 9th, 2016 at 04:23 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Yet you've determined for everybody else who was "least" worse.

Well, obviously you were wrong and if you're going to be obstinate about learning something from it, then that's on you.
    I absolutely determined who is the least worst. Is it really in dispute that Trump is a worse Presidential possibility than Clinton? No.

The misogyny I am seeing from other women on my FB is astounding. Grossing me out...

I have to say that I go on there maybe twice a year, this is why, it makes me feel like I need to take a shower.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I absolutely determined who is the least worst. Is it really in dispute that Trump is a worse Presidential possibility than Clinton? No.

By YOUR standards. You obviously don't get to decided for everyone as evidenced by your candidate being sent the hell home.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

By YOUR standards. You obviously don't get to decided for everyone as evidenced by your candidate being sent the hell home.
    Actually, by any standards of human decency.
    Beeyotch, panic, flummoxed and 5 others like this.

This Is How Much America Hates Women

This election ratified our nation’s tolerance of racism, bigotry, xenophobia — and abject disrespect for women.
    posted on Nov. 9, 2016, at 7:47 a.m.
    Anne Helen Petersen BuzzFeed Senior Culture Writer

Donald Trump and his wife, Melania Trump, vote at PS 59 in New York on Nov. 8, 2016. Carlo Allegri / Reuters

Trump’s win is an endorsement of racism, a validation of bigotry, a confirmation that nearly half of Americans would like a man who does not believe in equal rights, and, at least until he won, the sanctity of the democratic process, to lead our country.
    And hovering over all of those beliefs is a stark truth: the way Donald Trump has talked about, allegedly acted toward, and fundamentally conceived of women is the way that the majority of Americans conceive of women. Call it “locker room talk,” call it “just the way it is,” or call it by its true name: misogyny. In electing President Trump, the nation has ratified a backlash that has been gaining slow but terrifying steam just beneath the surface of the recent feminist resurgence.

No matter the endorsements for Hillary from Beyoncé and Rihanna and Katy Perry and Lena Dunham, or the hundreds of thousands of posts in “secret” Hillary support groups, which increasingly feel like tragic melodrama, the underlying fact remains: As a nation, we remain firm in the notion that women should not control their own reproductive health, that men should retain the liberty to judge and touch and control women’s bodies at will, and that the idea of a woman in power neutralizes any concerns over a neo-fascist future of the nation.

Over the last month, I talked to hundreds of female Trump supporters about their candidate’s treatment of women, and the message was always a variation on the same theme: It does not matter. Some women told me that their husbands spoke to them like Trump — that they’d think something was wrong with them if they didn’t. Others suggested that Trump may well be a letch — but that, at age 70, he’d simply run out of the capacity to act on it. One sixtysomething woman told me that getting grabbed was a way for her to know she was still desirable.

Evangelical women said he disgusted them — that he wasn’t Christ-like, that he wasn’t a believer, that he might not even be moral — but they had to vote platform, e.g. anti-abortion. Well-dressed, high-class women in the suburbs underlined that they didn’t believe everything that he said, but they loved Ivanka — whose classiness helped wash the more trashy aftertaste of Trump out their mouths. Whatever their explanations, the underlying fact remained: Trump’s disrespect for women — his evident understanding of them as property or props — simply did not matter. Or, at the very least, did not matter enough.

Trump’s disrespect for women — his evident understanding of them as property or props — simply did not matter.

These women, it must be noted, were overwhelmingly white, overwhelmingly straight, and overwhelmingly middle-class. They were not the “working poor” that have so often been singled out as the prototypical Trump supporters. They are the status quo — and, stated or not, they are fundamentally invested in maintaining the status quo, which includes white supremacy.

And part of that status quo is patriarchy: the notion that women will continue to be second-class citizens, subject to men’s understanding of what they should be able to do, touch, and grab when it comes to their bodies — and legislate and punish when it comes to their actions. I’m not suggesting these women have some sort of false consciousness — that they think they’re empowered, and actually aren’t — I’m stating that they fundamentally think disempowerment is okay, so long as they maintain their other (white, straight) sources of privilege. Tavi Gevinson starkly referredto this swath of voters as “white women who hate people of color more than they like having rights to their own bodies.” Many women fail to recognize Trump’s explicit stances and policies towards people of color and Muslims as “hate,” but I know no more appropriate word for what Trump voters have signaled in terms of how non-white, non-Christian, non-straight people should be treated.
    That pre-feminist understanding of womanhood has collided with and been exacerbated by the first female major-party candidate for president — a second-wave feminist who has spent her public career inflaming insecurities about what a woman should look, sound, and act like. The hatred that’s accumulated around her can be attributed to many factors — to increased dissatisfaction with political insiders, or rage at the reality of globalism — but the underlying trigger is, at heart, her gender.

It’s not that Clinton’s a soft woman, or even a shrill woman, so much as a sneaky woman: That’s what is at the heart of the investment in her private email server, and the investigation of the Clinton Foundation, and the suspicion that she, along with her confidante Huma Abedin, have conspired to hide a grand, dark — yet ultimately undiscoverable — truth from the American people. For many, that’s the real, if unconscious, fear: that women will take, women have been taking, the reins of power, the keys to the system, the position of the presidency.

At the heart of all of this perceived duplicitousness, after all, is Clinton’s unrepentant ambition. It’s Clinton’s defining character trait: Her understanding of her worth is so strong that she’s refused, at every point in her life and career, to let men define her. When her husband stood on stage at the Democratic National Convention, for example, and recounted when he “met a girl” in 1971, it was ultimately a story of a woman so driven and sure of her value that the former president, a man of similar ambition and intellect, had to find a way to fit into her life, not the other way around.
    For Hillary supporters, this approach felt like a clarification of purpose: Yes, many said, this is the type of woman, the type of boldness, the expansiveness of vision we desire. But that approach seems to have backfired, as the constant reminders of Clinton’s intellect, ambition, experience, and self-worth served to stoke the fires burning her effigy. Such attributes are only valued by this country, after all, when they apply to men.

Matriarchy isn’t the fear. Rather, it’s the idea that women will define their own value, and their own futures, on their own terms — instead of by terms men have laid out. Put differently, that each gender, each individual, will have the power to determine their own destiny. To slightly modify the old bumper sticker, it’s the radical notion that both men and women are people.
    That’s what Hillary implicitly promised with her candidacy, and that’s what voters have soundly rejected. The articulated ambivalence of many Trump voters varies from “I just couldn’t vote for Hillary,” to “I’m a straight party Republican,” from “He’ll have good advisers,” to “If he raised Ivanka, he can’t be that bad.” But the message remains steady: Fear of a female president, and all that she represents, is tenacious enough to neutralize overt bigotry, xenophobia and racism — and manifest misogyny.

In the wake of the election results, a section of Jessica Valenti’s book Sex Object keeps returning to mind: “Given all that women are expected to live with — the leers that start when we’ve barely begun puberty, the harassment, the violence we survive or are constantly on guard for — I can’t help but wonder what it all has done to us,” she wrote. “Not just to how women experience the world, but how we experience ourselves. I started to ask myself: Who would I be if I didn’t live in a world that hated women?”

What might we be? Perhaps women wouldn’t go to college fearing the statistical inevitability of sexual abuse. Perhaps we might be women liberated from the persistence of unequal pay for equal work. And perhaps we might gradually cease to calculate our value based on our ability to regiment our bodies into a highly circumscribed understanding of beauty. Those of us who are nonwhite, queer, fat, disabled, trans, or immigrant might not just be told that we’re equal citizens, but perhaps even experience life as such. Perhaps, if we didn’t live in a world that hated women, we might not live in fear that a male superior will sexually harass us and force us to make a decision between our integrity or our careers.

We might, in other words, experience something like freedom. And from there, the ability to navigate the world in a posture that is not defined by hesitancy and fear.
    But for all of that, America has decided, we must wait.

Supporters of Democratic U.S. presidential nominee Hillary Clinton react as they watch election returns at the election night rally in New York, U.S., November 8, 2016. Rick Wilking / Reuters

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Actually, by any standards of human decency.
    Call it whatever helps you sleep at night. All I see is people being stubborn and refusing to learn anything.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    exactly. i don't buy the michael moore fans who are trying to sell it as the disenfranchised working class voting against the establishment. if that were true, and those poor, disenfranchised white men wanted a populist who spoke to the working class, they would have gone out and registed as democrats and voted in bernie sanders in the primaries. but no, they did that for trump. because trump appealed to them not just as disenfranchised working class, but he also hates minorities, gays, women, foreigners. he appealed to their ugliness and that's what won out.

so to everyone blaming hillary for being too establishment, too unpopular, too unlikable, spare me. short of becoming just as racist as trump, there's nothing liberals could have done to win back the white working class. the same thing is happening in europe. are workers going for the populist left? no. they're turning to the xenophobic far-right who appeals to the angry, bigoted white men.
    To be fair, Michael Moore didn't blame it ALL on the disenfranchised working class male, that was just one of the 5 reasons he listed, and he was mainly talking about the traditionally blue Rust Belt States that went red last night. I agree with him that it was part of it, because those electoral votes tipped the scales.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Call it whatever helps you sleep at night. All I see is people being stubborn and refusing to learn anything.
    Still unclear on exactly what it is I'm going to learn? That you just let your country suffer for four fucking years because your perfect fit didn't get picked? No thanks but you enjoy watching us learn. Maybe next time you won't be feeling the exact same way many of us our today.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Mo, aren't you near DC? What's the mood like there?
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Still unclear on exactly what it is I'm going to learn? That you just let your country suffer for four fucking years because your perfect fit didn't get picked? No thanks but you enjoy watching us learn. Maybe next time you won't be feeling the exact same way many of us our today.
    No, that you pick a candidate you can bring swing voters to, that's what.
    dexter7 likes this.

fuuuuck. this feels like the twilight zone. what. the. fuck.
    twitchy2.0, MmeVertigina and panic like this.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Actually, I do sleep easier at night, knowing that I voted for a candidate who would support the rights of women, minorities, immigrants, and lower-income citizens rather than casting a vote for the other person who would take it away, or basically voting for another candidate who had no statistical chance (and never will).

Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111

Mo, aren't you near DC? What's the mood like there?

At work, it's like nothing ever happened. Like whistling past the graveyard.

Dow closes up 250 points; financials surge after Trump election upset

Dow surges 300 points; financials gain 4% after Donald Trump win
    Well, apparently you don't have to worry about your money right away.

Actually, I do sleep easier at night, knowing that I voted for a candidate who would support the rights of women, minorities, immigrants, and lower-income citizens rather than casting a vote for the other person who would take it away, or basically voting for another candidate who had no statistical chance (and never will).

Well then enjoy your moral victory. I suppose its better than nothing.

Stan Van Gundy (of all people) has captured some of my thoughts. I've been seeing people's calls for healing, unity, etc in various places. I don't want to be unified with these people. They're racist, misogynistic bigots who want to strip me and others of our rights. I've stayed as far away as I can from people like this and I'm not planning on embracing them now.

Take it away Stan:

“We have just thrown a good part of our population under the bus, and I have problems with thinking that this is where we are as a country. It’s tough on (the team), we noticed it coming in. Everybody was a little quiet, and I thought, ‘Well, maybe the game the other night.’ And so we talked about that, but then Aron Baynes said, ‘I don’t think that’s why everybody’s quiet. It’s last night.’
    [...]

We just elected an openly, brazen misogynist leader and we should keep our mouths shut and realize that we need to be learning maybe from the rest of the world, because we don’t got anything to teach anybody.

“It’s embarrassing. I have been ashamed of a lot of things that have happened in this country, but I can’t say I’ve ever been ashamed of our country until today. Until today. We all have to find our way to move forward, but that was — and I’m not even trying to make a political statement. To me, that’s beyond politics.

“You don’t get to come out and talk about people like that, and then lead our country and have millions of Americans embrace you. I’m having a hard time being with people. I’m going to walk into this arena tonight and realize that — especially in this state — most of these people voted for the guy. Like, (expletive), I don’t have any respect for that. I don’t.

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Thread Information